Latex Mattress Indecision

Hello - I am in the market for a new latex mattress. It’s a bit overwhelming with all the options. SleepEZ vs. FoamSweetFoam vs. Flexus vs. SleepOnLatex vs. Spindle etc. Are they all equivalent in terms of reputation/product quality? (Spindle doesn’t offer a Cal King, so they’re not really in the running)

I’m in Los Angeles, so Flexus seems to be the best option as they’ll deliver it vs. me receiving everything in a box. They’re also a bit cheaper (not sure how this is possible) However, Flexus suggests 13" and the other companies all say 10" is sufficient. Not sure if this matters? Also, the configurations are all slightly different in terms of latex firmness layers - I get that I can switch this around. The issue is that I can’t try out the other companies as they’re out of state.

I’m a 250 pound tall man, side-sleeper.

Any thoughts or feedback would be most appreciated!

Hi LatexShopper,

There are a lot of choices for latex mattresses on the market. You should know that there are two types of latex. 1. Dunlop latex is made using a molded process so the densities come in a range. For example: A medium density can range from 35 to 46 ILD. 2. Talalay latex is a vacuum process so the ILD’s are more consistent or have a very narrow range. Just know that there can be a difference in feel.

For a side sleeper with a body weight of 250 lbs. you might want to consider a mattress that has a medium density (28 ILD) in the top layer for comfort and a firmer (36 ILD) in the second layer for support. The support layer on the bottom should be fairly firm to support the layers above. That could be latex, innerspring, or polyurethane.

Price will be driven by how much latex is in the mattress. Any of the companies you listed @sleepez, @foamsweetfoam, @flexus, and @CST can accommodate your request for a Cal King. If you choose a company outside your local area, just make sure returns or modifications are included.

I hope this helps.

Bob

1 Like

Thank you for this.

All have suggested Medium talalay on top and then the next layers differ slightly though all are Dunlop. Is there a difference between 10" and 13" for someone my size/weight? These are the configurations:

Flexus: Firm, Xfirm, Firm, Medium 13" $2250 (the 10" would be $1844)
FSF: Firm, Medium, Medium 10" $1999
SleepEZ: Firm, Firm, Medium 10" 2199

I would suggest a 6" Firm Dunlop base followed by 3" of Medium Talalay. You lose some firmness when the base layers are cut into 3" vs a solid 6". That setup will do the job meaning you don’t have to do 13". I have people twice your weight on nothing more than our 10" model and doing just great. Since you are in the Flexus neighborhood you might as well try before you buy unless you want to take a drive to Phoenix.

well see lets learn the mattress knowledge

Im in Los Angeles too. Go try out King Koil Brook Firm or Genesis soft at Sit N Sleep. They are both 100% Talalay. I think you will be blown away. I liked the Brook which had medium talalay latex in an 11 inch mattress. The other option is Flobeds Vzone so you can adjust it (online).

You can try these latex mattresses too (I did not like them, but you might) Avocado mattress in Pasadena. Avocado is also in Revive Sleep Center which is at Living Spaces.

You can try Naturepedic latex locally also.

My recommendation? King Koil latex or Flobed Vzone.

John

Arizona Premium Mattress is a good option, but I have not bought from them myself. Ken is the expert there. I am suspicious of Dunlop. I dont like Dunlop. Talalay feels way better to me, but try it yourself.

John