Latex Mattress Purchase Help

Hi BrianSxx,

I think that in “theory” only … two 3" layers that were exactly the same ILD as a single 6" layer could be less durable over the course of a long lifetime because they will act more independently and abrade each other slightly but I don’t think the difference would be significant or even measurable in “real life” terms and the other durability factors (see post #4 here) such as the firmness of the layers would play a bigger role. It certainly wouldn’t be a concern of mine.

I don’t think there would be a meaningful difference in the same type of latex (such as 100% Dunlop) made by different manufacturers. I would treat them as equals. 100% natural Talalay on the other hand would probably be less durable in lower ILD’s than either 100% natural Dunlop or blended Talalay although in higher ILD’s I would treat it as being equivalent to other types of latex (see post #2 here). This may be more true with Latex International Talalay than Radium Talalay who have told me that their 100% natural uses a different curing paste in the lower ILD’s and that any difference in durability between their blend and their 100% natural is insignificant. 100% natural Talalay was only introduced in 2005 so it doesn’t have the same track record as blended Talalay and I have talked with many manufacturers who have seen both blended Talalay and 100% natural Dunlop mattresses in firmer ILD’s last for decades.

I would treat blended Talalay and 100% natural Dunlop as equals in terms of durability. Dunlop is a denser material than Talalay and has a higher compression modulus (it gets firmer faster with deeper compression) so with a Dunlop and Talalay layer of the same thickness and the same ILD at 25% compression (where ILD is measured) they would be equally “supportive”. At a lower percentage compression Dunlop would be softer and with a greater percentage compression Dunlop would be firmer than Talalay. they have a different response curve in other words so any difference in support can be compensated for with a change in ILD. Talalay is most often used for comfort layers because it often comes in softer ILD’s than Dunlop (although there is an increasing amount of softer Dunlop on the market now than there was a few years ago) and in the same ILD it will form a deeper pressure relieving cradle than Dunlop (which can also be compensated for by using a lower ILD of Dunlop). In effect … it’s a preference choice in both a comfort or support layer because they both have a different “feel”. I personally prefer the “feel” of Talalay for example in both comfort and support layers while my daughter much prefers the “feel” of Dunlop in every layer of her mattress so I know that the preference for one over the other doesn’t run in families :).

Again … this is strictly a preference issue. Some people will prefer to use a quilting layer of polyfoam, natural fibers such as wool, synthetic polyester fibers, or even a thin layer of memory foam to dampen the surface resilience of the latex and create a more “relaxed” sleeping surface (at the cost of reducing the ability of the latex to contour to the body profile). A wool quilting layer can also add some temperature regulating benefits as well and can also be used as the fire barrier for the mattress. Other people prefer to use a stretch knit cover and sleep more directly on the latex so it can contour to the body more effectively and have less effect on the more resilient “feel” and response of the latex than with a quilting material on top of it.

Phoenix