Latex Mattress Question

We are looking for a new mattress, ours is about 7 years old. When we got married we got a pillowtop bed thinking we wanted something really soft and cushy. My husband weighs over 200 lbs & I almost roll down the bed into his “groove” when he’s lying there. I Don’t sink so much but still it’s just not comfortable for either of us. I really want something that is non-chemical and hopefully better on allergies.

Looking into Mygreenmattress & plan to visit them on a trip up to Chicago next month to try some out. They are soo expensive but I can’t imagine buying similar ones that are online without trying out first . Do you have an organic latex bed? And do they really hold up in the long run? I do not want to have body indents and a flimsy bed. When we stay at hotels that have firmer beds, we like them much better, but we have also had the opposite with an old bed that was rock hard and not comfy at all. I like one that is soft but not squishy, where the edges are firm and the bed has some bounce but no “sinkage”.

I am thinking about the Organic Dreams if anyone has experience with it?? I don’t really want a bed w/any coils bc I hear that the open inner is a good place for dust, skin etc to build up and cause more allergy problems which I have. I have done so much research it is starting to get more overwhelming with all the options and contradicting reviews! Thanks!

Hi raljtl,

I’m guessing you’ve read this already but just in case you haven’t I would make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

As you probably know from your reading here I think very highly of My Green Mattress and their sister company Quality Sleep and they are both a member of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the country in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. You are certainly looking in a great direction.

I sleep on a latex mattress but it isn’t organic and an organic certification isn’t as important to me as it is for some other people. There is more about organic certifications in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

There is more about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress in post #4 here and the posts it links to but latex in general (regardless of whether it is synthetic, natural, a blend of both, or organic) is the most durable of all the foam materials that are used in the industry and a two sided mattress is more durable than an equivalent mattress that is one sided. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

I would be very cautious about using other people’s reviews or experiences on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you or the durability of a mattress and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on or vice versa (see post #13 here).

The Organic Dreams certainly uses high quality materials and is also two sided and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress in terms of durability. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

There is also more about dust mites and allergies in post #2 here so you can make a choice based on more reliable information rather than some of the misinformation that is so common in the industry (including about dust mites and innerspring mattresses).

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback after your visit :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for replying so quickly going to check out those links! I now have my husband interested in this & he is researching online too lol

Hi raljtl,

That’s good to hear since he will be sleeping on it too :slight_smile:

Phoenix