Latex Mattress questions

First post here, thanks in advance for advice. I( live in Houston, I’m in my late fifties with a history of lower back issues resulting in sciatica that has manifested itself in both legs at times in the past. I am 6’0, 180 lbs. I sleep on my sides and occasionally stomach, sometimes I wake up on my back. My partner is 5’10, 150 lbs and sleeps on his side and back. We are both “hot” sleepers.

In February 2021 we purchased a King sized Leesa hybrid mattress with an adjustable base. It felt great at first but a few months ago I started feeling some mild lower back problems on my right side that progressed to a chronic nagging but dull pain. I could not recall anything I did to induce it. Then a few weeks ago I woke up with severe pain and sciatic on my right side that I have benn struggling with. The mostly uncomfortable place for me to be in the world is that bed. No position is comfortable. I dread getting into it. I want out of that bed. My hips seem to be sinking lower into the bed and my spine is pout of alignment. Both of us seem to emigrate to the edge of the bed. I found this site and have done some research and have decided on a Latex bed. I am gong to look for some locally, and focusing on natural Talalay latex. They look pricey but I’m hoping to offset the price with durability and longer life of the mattress. I tend to do better on firmer mattresses.

My questions are:

1. based on what I have told you, am I on the right track?
  2. Are all natural Talalay Foam mattresses equivalent? There are name brands and non name brands. Any savings on these pricey things would be great.
  3. I hope to use the Leesa adjustable base for the Latex mattress so that purcha$e was not a total waste. Reasonable match?
  4. How much more benefits/drawbacks with regard to 10 inch vs 15 inch mattress for my situation if I am putting it on an adjustable base but want maximum comfort and durability.
  5. Any additional thoughts or advice appreciated.

Hi MyBackIsKillingME and welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:
Glad to have you here.

Sorry to hear about your problems with your less than 2 year old mattress. Each mattress is unique to the sleepers using it, and is based on your stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s)and any underlying health conditions) and the sleepers’ PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Thanks for providing your stats, You both have lower BMI’s but you have found the major drawback to ‘big brand’ mattresses…Leesa, like many big box retailers, is not transparent about the materials or thicknesses of their components. I took a look at the Leesa site and your hybrid is multiple layers of memory foam of unknown thickness and density. Inexpensive memory foam can ‘break down’ prematurely causing ‘divots’ or ‘ruts’ and it sounds like you are becoming painfully familiar with these. Memory foam also tends to sleep ‘hot’ so this mattress is no longer suiting you as it did when new. It does sound like a painful sleeping experience. You may want to take a look at our mattress shopping tutorial here as well as the [ url=Mattress durability guidelines ... how long will a mattress last - The Mattress Underground]mattress durability guidelines/url] to see how different materials hold up over time.

A Talalay mattress sounds like a good choice. Talalay has a ‘bouncier’ feel than Dunlop latex, which ‘cradles’ more and should be much more supportive for your side sleeping positions. Any Talalay mattress of similar ILD (Identation load deflection) should have a similar feel. I would try different configurations and comfort levels in person if possible. As far as using the Leesa adjustable base, you would need to ask the manufacturer of any mattress you are considering they usually have some firm rules on what sort of base you can use so that you don’t void any warranty. Also, the 10 vs 15 inch question is one only you and your partner can answer, you can have multiple layers of latex of various firmnesses to customize your sleep experience, but it is based on personal choice, within the constraints of the manufacturer warranty of course. Also, an organic mattress topper made of cotton, coconut coir or wool could help regulate heat, as would innerspring coils. It might take a little trial and error but I am sure you can get a mattress much more suitable to you both.

I would suggest taking a look at the Trusted Members of the site; Member Texas Mattress Makers are located in Houston, and they are experienced in matching consumers with the perfect mattress and are fully transparent about their materials and construction, and have excellent customer service. If you are considering online purchases, many of our members have offerings similar to what you are looking for.

I wish you success in finding a more comfortable sleep solution!

Basilio