Latex Mattress Questions

Hey, everyone.

I’m completely new to the concept of latex mattresses, but I feel like I’ve learned quite a bit by reading this site and a number of posts on the forums. I wasn’t really sure what to expect for how a latex mattress would feel versus memory foam or innerspring. Well, today I was finally able to try one because of this forum – I found the only place within an hour’s drive that had an all-latex mattress. They were a little firmer than I was expecting – even their soft model which I was told had an ILD range of 19-24. However, the retailer only offers mattresses that are 6" cores of Talalay latex. It seems like most of the mattresses sold by retailers recommended by this site have a 6" core as well as an additional layer or two for support and/or comfort.

Does having these additional layers make that much of a difference in how a mattress feels? If I got a mattress from mattresses.net or Brooklyn Bedding or another site that offers a 6" Talalay core and a 2-3" layer on top of that, would it feel softer than just laying on the 6" core? Keeping in mind that I am about 6’1" and weigh about 275 lbs. And how different does a mattress with a 6" core and a 3" comfort layer feel versus a mattress that is 3 3" layers of latex like the Leaf model at Sleeping Organic?

From reading this site, I know my weight probably means I need a thicker/firmer mattress, but it seems like a lot of the retailers mostly offer latex mattresses in the 8-10" range. Is that thick enough? And what ILD range should I be looking at given my weight and the fact that I am predominantly a stomach and side sleeper – though, I have been known to toss and turn and sleep in all positions. And if I do need a thicker mattress, does that mean if I were to order from Brooklyn Bedding I would need to get a $400 topper in addition to the $1900 Total Latex Queen Set?

That’s a lot of questions, I know, but I’m just trying to get some insight into what will be the best choice for me. Any help would be much appreciated.

hi, I am new to this site and can not find what I have to click on to post my question. I would appreciate if you share how you did it. I wrote a message in private Messages but never got any response so may be it was a wrong place to put it…
Thanks,
Lina

Hi Lina,

I switched your post to a new topic with a new title because it may be helpful for others with the same question as well.

If you click on the new topic tab on top of the forum it will open up a new window that you can start a new topic and add any topic title that you wish.

If you are looking at the index view of the forum (the view that you see when you click on the “our forum” link in the menu or on the index tab) then you can also click on the new topic button that will show up on the top and bottom of the forum to do the same thing.

I haven’t received any private messages from you but hopefully this has answered your question :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Tiller,

Yes … every difference between two mattresses including the thickness of the individual layers themselves or of the mattress, the firmness of individual layers, or the type of cover and quilting can make a significant difference in how one mattress feels compared to another one. Every layer and component in a mattress will have some effect on the feel and performance of the other layers and components and on the mattress as as a whole and sometimes even differences that seem to be relatively minor can have a surprising effect on the feel and performance of a mattress as a whole. This includes the type of support system under the mattress and anything that is used on top of the mattress as well.

That would depend on whether the firmness or ILD of the 6" core in both mattresses was the same type and ILD of latex and on whether the cover and support system was the same in both of them as well but if everything else was equal and the only difference was that one mattress had an additional 2" - 3" comfort layer that used the same or softer latex then they would certainly feel softer yes. There is more about the effects of thickness in post #14 here and there is also more about the different “specs” that can affect pressure relief and the perception of softness in post #4 here as well.

That would depend entirely on whether the two bottom 3" layers in one mattress were the same type and ILD of latex as the 6" core in the other one. If they were both the same and all the other layers and components were the same in both mattresses as well then it’s not likely that most people would feel any difference (see post #2 here for more information about two 3" layers vs a single 6" layer).

That would depend entirely on whether a specific design was a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). While someone in a higher weight range will often do better with or prefer a thicker mattress … that’s not always the case for each specific person and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict whether any mattress is a good match for you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Post #3 here and the posts it links to also has more information that may be useful for those that are in higher weight ranges.

This would depend on whether the mattress you purchased was a suitable “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). If you purchase any mattress that is too firm and it just needs some additional softness and pressure relief then a topper can certainly be an effective solution but the only way to know this would be based on your own personal experience.

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress and the different risks or uncertainty that can be involved with each of them in post #2 here that may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Once again thank you so much for incredible help you are offering to all of us. It is unique. I have been reading many of your articles.
I have two main questions;

1. I sleep on my back and on my side. I have a lower back pain. On all the mattresses I have tried it is either good support for my back but now enough of pressure point relieve or good for the side but not firm enough for my back. The only solution I found was at ABC but it is over $3000 which is beyond my budget. I did not find in New York any zoned mattresses and I am afraid they would cost a fortune. I would deeply appreciate your suggestion? If Talaly latex would be better then Duplon for me (Savvi Rest at Clean Bedroom)?
  2. I went to Scott Jordan Furniture and liked the store and people there very much. But they do not have a medium -firm mattresses and all their latex mattresses have only one layer of 6 inches latex. All the other shops have it in two or three layers so I wonder if 6inc. one layer is a good one for support, durability and value? Clean Bedroom has more choices but I am not sure if they really much better wile they are definitely much more expensive
    I went in New York to Clean Bedroom, to Scott Jordan, to Coco Mat , to white Lotus shops and to ABC which is the best but above my possibilities. Is there any other shop in New York you can suggest for natural latex mattress? how can I balanced my aliment problems and my budget restrictions?
    Thank you very much,
    Lina

Hi Lina,

Just in case you haven’t yet … I would make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice.

The choice between Talalay and Dunlop is a preference choice not a “better/worse” choice and some people will prefer one and some will prefer the other. There is more about the differences between them in post #7 here but the most reliable way to know which one you tend to prefer is based on your own personal testing.

Unfortunately … nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to know which mattress is “best” for you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance so this part of your research will depend on your own personal testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) or your more detailed conversations with any online retailers or manufacturers you are considering (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Comfort/Pressure relief and Support/alignment are the two primary functions of a mattress but they are opposites so the key to finding the most suitable mattress that is the best match for you is to find the best balance between them. This is the main challenge for everyone that is looking for a mattress and the key is usually to find a mattress that has “just enough” pressure relief in your most pressure prone position (usually side sleeping) so that there is less risk of alignment issues in your other sleeping positions. There is more about primary support, secondary support and their relationship to pressure relief in post #4 here.

I’m not sure what you mean because they have a range of mattresses in different firmness levels using different types of materials and components but the only way to know whether any mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP is based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience (again hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post). The one “all latex” mattress they have uses a 6" support core and a 2" comfort layer (it’s not just a 6" core) and as far as I’m aware comes in different firmness levels.

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress and how to minimize the risks of making an unsuitable choice with each of them in post #2 here.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the New York City area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

The tutorial post also includes a link to the members here that sell mattresses online and many of these also sell latex or latex hybrid mattresses that use different types of latex with a wide range of designs, options, price ranges, and exchange and return policies that may also be worth considering if you are comfortable with the idea of an online purchase.

Phoenix

This is an old post, but also having trouble finding the buttons to post a new topic as you mentioned here-- is there some other activation step that needs to be done to get those buttons to show up? At the top there is only “Mark all topics read” and “Subscribe”, and no buttons at the bottom.

Copied and pasted from the new changes thread. The last sentence explains about new threads.

The Mattress Underground (TMU) is making a major improvement to its website design. We have created and will be continually expanding the new Talk to the Experts Forum, a unique design feature that provides consumer members with direct access to our TMU Trusted Expert Members through TMU. While we are in transition, there will not be new independent thread topics created.

Hi transparent.

Great to see that you already found your way around and used the #2 below.

Just to add to Naper’s comment (Thanks, Napper!)
1. Start a New topic in any of our Trusted Member Expert’s dedicated areas (If and where appropriate I can always add more relevant information.) …or …
2. Search our forum for a relevant topic (which discusses some of the things are interested in). This will both help with your research and helps others with similar questions.

Pheonix

also @ Napper

Thank you for finding that-- I didn’t think to look in that thread, and was luckily able to find a thread that kind of matched what I was asking about.

Great resource, thanks!

I’m stuck with this exact same issue. I want to post a topic I have about my Zinus mattress, but theres no “New Topic” button anywhere.