Latex Mattress Questions

Hello, new here and i must say i have enjoyed reading a lot over the last few days so i decided to join.

My searching has directed me into looking at getting an all latex mattress. I ran across mattresses.net. On their website they say the following:

Many people have asked us if we manufacture the Ultimate Dreams Brand by DreamFoam Bedding because we are both located in Phoenix, AZ. The answer is absolutely NO!!! We only use production first quality materials. We do not buy imperfect and factory seconds of latex materials or otherwise in any of our products.

This leads me to believe that DreamFoam uses imperfect or factory seconds. Can anyone confirm if they do or do not?
I am interested in the DreamFoams all Latex bed but the comment above has me second guessing that. I am also interested in the Aloe Alexis but the foam base has me wondering about durability. Plus the all latex version is only $90 more in a King…

I was also looking at mattresses.net and saw they have an “ultra Plush” bed. I like a more firm bed rather than a plush bed. The site says it is constructed of a 6" Talalay core and a 2" 22ILD topper. Not sure this would be for me. They also have the Naturalux mattress. It’s constructed of “soft” 28 ILD, “medium” 32 ILD, and “firm” 36 ILD natural dunlop cores with 2" natural talalay latex topper in 20-24 ILD. Again, this topper seems to be too cushy based on things that i’ve read. They also have an EcoSleep but list nothing about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions of companies that have all latex beds? I’m looking to spend about $1,500 - 1,800 (max) for a King. I just want to make sure i make the best possible choice for me. I live in rural WV and nothing is close to go and try a latex mattress so i pretty much have to go off of reviews and any knowledge that others are willing to share.

I’m 6’0 and about 185lbs / stomach sleeper

Hi davemfan,

This information is completely incorrect. Dreamfoam doesn’t use factory seconds or “imperfect” materials (see post #2 here and this topic).

The Aloe Alexis uses a 2 lb polyfoam base layer which is a very durable material that would be suitable for any weight rante … especially with 6" of latex on top of the base layer (see the durability guidelines here and post #2 here).

If you are looking for an online latex mattress then the mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them also sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that would be well worth considering.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person (or a mattress/topper combination) then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

I’m not sure exactly where you are in West Virginia but if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that may be in reasonable driving distance.

Phoenix