Latex mattress retailers in east central Wisconsin area

Hello :slight_smile:

I have been reading through this site multiple times over in order to absorb all the specific and detailed information contained in the website and information on the forum posts. Like others, I agree this site has so much valuable information and at the same time, it is overwhelming! Having said that, I think that I am leaning towards a latex mattress given the many positive features presented in the informational articles. I have looked on specific websites which this site has recommended, and I am still hesitant to order blindly, without so much as having tried out the feel or comfort of a latex mattress. Here’s where I am in need of some help. I live in the east central portion of Wisconsin, close to Green Bay and Milwaukee areas (and areas in between). Other than a Verlo mattress factory, could you make any recommendations of any other retailers within this general vicinity? I saw the recommendation for the Beloit mattress factory, as well; however, that may be a longer drive than I can make at this time. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and help as well as the detailed and informative information presented on this site!!!

Sincerely,
Sheri

Hi gismom,

I think it’s always a great idea to try a specific type of mattress or material you are considering before making a purchase just in case no matter how much you may “want to like it” based on theory … that it isn’t your preference in “real life”.

Some of the better options or possibilities in and around the Green Bay area are listed in post #2 here and in and around the Milwaukee area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for your prompt reply and recommendations! I will be out this weekend and will make sure to target those listed as my priority.

Sincerely,
Sheri

Hi gismom,

I would make sure you call the ones you plan to visit first to make sure that they have the types of mattresses you are interested in testing on their showroom floor.

I’m looking forward to your feedback after your visits :).

Phoenix

Sorry to butt in, but if you find a showroom with a good selection of dunlop latex mattresses, please post! :slight_smile: I haven’t been having much luck and am wary of purchasing online based on one visit to a Savvy Rest store (with excellent salespeople, but this was out of state in a much smaller community–oddly a much better showroom experience than what I’ve had so far in WI). Maybe latex isn’t the in thing in WI right now. Wishing us both luck on our search! :slight_smile: Now butting out…

No worries, Bouven… I will share whatever knowledge I can give, except it will not nearly be as thorough as this site! Phoenix has recommended a few showrooms and I ave emailed all of them to see whether they carry the latex models in house. If they are carried, I will be taking a trip out this weekend to try some out.

Not sure what area of WI you are from, but the recommended places would be WG&R, Verlo, and The Sleep Shop in Appleton. Verlo and WG&R have stores throughout the WI area, so there may be one close to you.

In any event, I will post something next week…

Hi Bouven,

Your post reminded me to check the Savvy Rest website (thanks :)) since they often add new dealers and they have several retailers in the Milwaukee area which I’ve added them to the list. They can certainly give you a chance to test a range of Talalay and Dunlop latex mattresses but I would call them first to confirm the range of options they carry at each one because they can vary from store to store.

As you probably know … they are very similar to other component latex mattresses that use 3" layers of either Talalay or Dunlop.

I’ve also added one other retailer that carries Organicpedic by OMI mattresses and some of these also use Dunlop latex.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Okay, so my partner and I did our mattress tests today at two retailers, Verlo Mattress and WG&R. These two stores alone took up almost all of our morning so we opted to be done with our tests at that point. :blink: I had both a positive and less than positive experience at each of these places; these experiences were differentiated by one thing: I had done my research compliments of this site and really felt equipped and knowledgeable about what I was being shown to be able to ask good questions and could clearly tell which of our salespeople knew mattresses and which one didn’t have a clue other than basics. So, before I go into specifics, here’s the specifics of my partner and I: he is 6’1" and 170 lbs; I am 5’6" and 145 lbs. We are both side and back sleepers predominately and he will sleep on his stomach occasionally. We’ve been on a brand S pillowtop for 15 years…ARGH!

Verlo was our first destination. The salesman that assisted us, Keith, was was very knowledgeable and helpful. He clearly knew a lot about mattress make-up and could answer my questions about the type of latex; lbs/cu. foot of memory foam, etc. He did not seemed “threatened” by my questions, and at one point even called someone to verify the memory foam material. The store actually had samples of their varying mattresses, cut open, so the customer could see the makeup of the mattress. We looked at the Gradeur and Grandeur Elite as well as the Wellington. The memory foam is certified at Certi-Pur and the coils are actually Wisconsin made at a factory called Spiller Springs :slight_smile: He said all of their latex is Dunlop. Their handouts list Talalay latex, so I’m thinking there must have been a change at some point, not sure why. Here’s the specifics of these:

Grandeur—
Total 14 inches high
Top layer with cashmere (and cashmere ticking) and silk topper…guessing this was 1.5-2" high
1" Dunlop latex
1" HD foam
1" 5.0 lbs/cu. ft. memory foam
1" of cotton felt layers
5 zone tempered coil innerspring system with more compact innersprings in the middle third of the mattress to support the hip area and this had a 6 gauge border rod running through the coils. These were the steel coils, not wrapped in any material, and around the perimeter of the mattress, it looked like a firmer type of styrofoam material with in which the coils were placed. I know that is a tough description, I’m just going off what I can recall about what he showed us.
All steel wire foundation
2 sided mattress option
The only question my salesperson could not answer was the ILD rating on the materials…

Grandeur Elite–
14" total height
1.5-2" cashmere and silk topper
3" Dunlop latex
1" HD foam
cotton felt layers
713 coils- side support coil with border rods- coils closer in middle third of mattress
2 sided mattress option
Again, could not find specifics about the ILD’s

Wellington—
Total 17 inches high
Wool and latex cover- 1.5-2"
1" HD foam
1/2" Dunop latex
1" Dunlop latex
Individually pocketed coils
Foam encased edging (4" HD foam around entire perimeter of the mattress; instead of the border rods)
Support layer- individually pocketed coils)
Only one sided mattress option

Of these, we liked all three, with the Wellington the best as it had the least amount of noticeable motion movement when turning. This, however, was the most costly mattress and was $700 more than the other two. Plus, this is only a one sided mattress, so we’d have to figure out whether the extra money was worth it when we may get more duration out of either of the other choices. They also have the ability to custom design a mattress or to “fix” a mattress that might be too soft or hard. This is free for the first year, and then after there is a slight cost, but they cover that for a lifetime. I will say, that in most of the mattresses I tested today, I noticed some soreness in all of the mattresses when sleeping on my side of my hip being sore(?) (the hip pressing into the mattress)…not sure if that is the best description, but definitely noticed it just didn’t feel completely good. We did try a “firmer” mattress, but discounted it as it was too firm for both of us.

On to our second stop…WG&R which carries the Pure Latex Bliss line. Fortunately, I had copied the prior link which was posted on this site to get a breakdown of the mattress components, as this was not available in the store. We tested three, the Beautiful, Nature, and Pamper, which were the only three they had in their storeroom. Overall, these were OK, but none of these had the topper, which was the plus from the other selections at Verlo. This was actually helpful information, though, because then we recognized we wanted to have a plush topper on the mattress and that this was going to be a must for our upcoming purchase.
WG&R does sell their own brand of mattresses, memory foam based, however, the memory foam is not certified (when I asked the salesperson if the foam was certified, he said, “What do you mean, certified?” When I told him the two companies that provided the certification, he said he didn’t think any of the mattresses were because, “I’ve never heard of them before.”). Anyways,
their memory foam was only 4.0lbs/cu ft. and both my partner and I did not like the firmness of the memory foam, even though we did give it enough laying time to allow it to warm under our bodies.

So, here’s where I am at this point. We are leaning towards one of the mattresses at Verlo. The piece about cost comes in in terms of wondering, if I were to look online at one of the 15 retailers that are listed on this website, I’m wondering how accurately they could “replicate” one of the mattresses when I don’t have the ILD ratings on the latex or foam, and may not have all the specifics necessary that a mattress manufacturer would need to specifically duplicate a mattress… what would you recommend, then, in terms of doing some comparison shopping? Are there any other questions I could ask the salesperson at Verlo that would be helpful?

Maybe it’s just as simple as saying we’re happy and good to go with Verlo and that’s the end of our search…yet, I think I would have some lingering unanswered questions about the other options available to us online…

Let me know your thoughts, and let me say this. I truly am grateful as a consumer for a site like this. I went in fully prepared with my notes and questions, and felt confident about approaching this as a somewhat educated consumer rather than just gravitating to the “safe” choices. It was also very helpful to do the mattress testing, as we found out what we liked and what we would steer away from (all memory foam comfort layer).

Sheri

Hi gismom,

This isn’t important to know because it’s a comfort spec that wouldn’t have much relevance and your testing will tell you whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP.

[quote]Grandeur—
Total 14 inches high
Top layer with cashmere (and cashmere ticking) and silk topper…guessing this was 1.5-2" high
1" Dunlop latex
1" HD foam
1" 5.0 lbs/cu. ft. memory foam
1" of cotton felt layers
5 zone tempered coil innerspring system with more compact innersprings in the middle third of the mattress to support the hip area and this had a 6 gauge border rod running through the coils. These were the steel coils, not wrapped in any material, and around the perimeter of the mattress, it looked like a firmer type of styrofoam material with in which the coils were placed. I know that is a tough description, I’m just going off what I can recall about what he showed us.
2 sided mattress option[/quote]

There are a couple of gaps I would want to fill in here. The first is to confirm the height of the innerspring to make sure that there aren’t any layers missing and that everything adds up to 14". I would also want to know if the top 1/5" - 2" was all cashmere and silk because I doubt that it is and there is almost certsinly some quilting foam in the mix. I would also want to know the blend of the Dunlop (although any latex would be a good quality material and would be more durable than most polyfoam). If the top layer was all natural fibers then you could expect some “nesting” and compression as the fibers pack down because it would be a rather thick layer. It would also be nice to know the density of the 1" polyfoam because while it’s less than an inch by itself, there may be more than “about an inch or so” of unknown materials if there is also polyfoam in the quilting (see the guidelines in post #4 here).

[quote]Grandeur Elite–
14" total height
1.5-2" cashmere and silk topper
3" Dunlop latex
1" HD foam
cotton felt layers
713 coils- side support coil with border rods- coils closer in middle third of mattress
2 sided mattress option
Again, could not find specifics about the ILD’s[/quote]

My comments about the Grandeur would apply here as well to make sure that all the layers add up to the thickness of the mattress.

[quote]Wellington—
Total 17 inches high
Wool and latex cover- 1.5-2"
1" HD foam
1/2" Dunop latex
1" Dunlop latex
Individually pocketed coils
Foam encased edging (4" HD foam around entire perimeter of the mattress; instead of the border rods)
Support layer- individually pocketed coils)
Only one sided mattress option[/quote]

There clearly seem to be some missing layers in this description because I doubt that the pocket coils are 12" - 13" tall. I would also want to know the density of the foam encasement.

The lack of motion transfer would make sense because of the pocket coils (you can read more about the different types of innersprings in this article). I would need to know more about the rest of the materials inside this one though to make any meaningful comments.

I would certainly pay attention to this because what you feel when you sleep on a mattress all night can accentuate some of the more subtle cues that you pick up when you are testing mattresses.

If the memory foam is manufactured in the US and not imported from another country (China in particular) then I would be OK with memory foam or polyfoam that wasn’t certified since most of the North American foam manufacturers are on the CertiPur list even if a mattress manufacturer that uses them may not be. I agree though that it’s odd that they aren’t familiar with CertiPur.

4 lb memory foam would certainly be a suitable density for your weights but it’s a moot point if the mattress wasn’t a good match for you in terms of PPP.

I think that the innerspring designs are too complex and there is too much missing information to “approximate” them even if you did have the ILD’s and I don’t think any of the online choices would be the same or similar in their design anyway. Every difference between two designs can make a surprising difference in how two mattresses will compare so at best you could use these as very generic guidelines about whether you prefer soft, medium, or firm mattresses (see post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can match another one).

The PLB mattresses would be easier to “approximate” with a component latex mattress that used similar layers because there are less variables and missing information involved.

If you can find out the missing information (and you could probably do this on the phone) I’d be in a better position to make a few additional comments about the mattresses you’ve mentioned.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I’m sorry, after I wrote down the description, I remembered that the 14 inches total was both the foundation and the mattress, so the mattress itself was 9" with a foundation of 5". I will follow up on Monday with a phone call to see what additional information I can get. Also, I was wondering if the innersprings themselves are the contributor of the hip discomfort and that maybe I should look for a comfort layer that does not contain innersprings, and is either latex or combo latex and memory foam…

Thanks for your feedback!

Sheri

Hi gismom,

All the layers in a mattress work together to provide both pressure relief and alignment but the top 3" or 4" of the mattress would generally be the most important part of providing pressure relief so it would depend on the specifics of the spring and the thickness and softness of the layers above them. With thinner comfort layers, then the type and firmness of the innerspring would have more effect on pressure relief than they would with thicker or firmer layers. Pocket coils are generally more conforming than coils that are connected together with helicals (bonnel, offset, or continuous coils) and generally don’t need comfort layers that are as thick or soft to provide pressure relief.

In general … it’s usually more effective to use careful testing on the mattress to assess whether a specific mattress “as a whole” is a good match for you in terms of PPP. If you are experiencing pressure issues on a specific mattress then it may need comfort layers that are either a little thicker, softer, or more “point elastic” (conforming) on the same spring (and a topper can also provide this) to provide the pressure relief you need or with a mattress that has exactly the same comfort layers then a softer or more conforming spring underneath them may also “help” the comfort layers enough to provide the pressure relief you need.

Phoenix