Latex Mattress Smell 2 Months Later

A few years ago I purchased a latex mattress for my daughter (from sleep on latex). It was amazingly comfortable but the smell was so strong and still persisted after 2 months. At that point I returned the mattress worrying it was never going to go away. I now am looking to purchase a mattress for my husband and I and would love to get latex but the smell issue is concerning me. I keep reading on here that the smell should dissipate fairly quickly. Is anyone aware of certain brands of latex that smell less strong than others? Or certain companies? I was amazed at how strong it still smelt after 2 months! For the record I live in Canada so would prefer Canadian companies or those who ship to Canada. Thank you in advance!

Hi Mila123, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

A few years ago I purchased a latex mattress for my daughter (from sleep on latex). It was amazingly comfortable but the smell was so strong and still persisted after 2 months

When natural latex mattresses are manufactured, there can be a slight odor, (sometimes likened to vanilla), which typically dissipates in a month or two, depending how sensitive the sleeper is to smells. This is caused by compounds produced by certain enzymes in the latex. As this is a plant based product, this scent should dissipate on exposure to the air. There is a chemical smell associated with polyfoams and memory foams, and it’s more common to have a strong smell from any natural wool in the cover rather than the latex itself. A gentle soap and water wash, or leaving the latex in a well ventilated area can help reduce the smell…but a ‘strong’ smell after that long a period I agree is concerning, that specific batch of latex may have had some issue during production - certainly this does not sound normal.

Is anyone aware of certain brands of latex that smell less strong than others? Or certain companies? I was amazed at how strong it still smelt after 2 months! For the record I live in Canada so would prefer Canadian companies or those who ship to Canada. Thank you in advance!

Several of the Trusted Members of the site are located in or ship to Canada, and offer quality latex products, like MFC, Dormio Organic Bedding, CBH Wood, Restmore Bedding, Sunshine Mattress Co. or GhostBed Canada; they carry many types of latex sleep solutions including organic, that you should find more odorless!

~ Basilio