[Latex Mattress] So many layers, so many options...

My SO and I are currently sleeping on a 20 year old innerspring mattress. It’s not uncomfortable by any means, but after sleeping on my parents guest bedroom latex mattress during a trip home, I’ve decided I’ve been missing out!! Their other guest bedroom has a Tempurpedic mattress, but I thought the squishiness was a little much.

Sadly, the manufacturer of their latex mattress is out of business, otherwise I would’ve just bought an identical mattress as I slept on.

I’ve been looking at Sleep EZ latex mattresses (King size), specifically their 13" Organic Latex line. However, having to choose the firmness of all 4 layers is a little much. I’m primarily a side and stomach sleeper (50/50), whereas my SO is 100% side sleeper. What constitutes an average firmness formula for all the four layers, as a baseline to tweak from? I think I prefer a middle-of-the-road firmness – not too hard, not too soft.

I’m also not sold on getting a Sleep EZ mattress… they just seem to get good reviews?

Additional info: I’m 5’10", 165#, and the SO is 6’0" 175#.

Hi Inchworm,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

There are only two ways to choose a mattress. The first is based on your careful and objective testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) on local mattresses. The second is a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced online manufacturer or retailer that can use the information you provide to help you choose which of their options has the best chance of being a good “match” for you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Each person can have a very different definition of “middle of the road” and what is way too firm for one person may be way too soft for another but if you know the specifics of a local mattress that works well for you or your parent’s mattress that you can use as a reference point (the type and thickness of all the latex layers, the firmness level of each layer, and the type of cover) then they can also use this information to help you choose the most closely comparable options to the mattresses that your testing or sleeping experience indicates works well for you.

You are certainly looking in a good direction and SleepEz is one of the members of this site which means that I think highly of them and they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, and service. They are also very good at providing guidance for their customers and are the best source of information about which of their mattresses may work best for you. The more detailed and specific information you can provide them about you and the mattresses that have worked well for you, the more you will help them help you make the layering choices that have the highest chance of success (and of course their mattresses also provide good options after a purchase to further customize the mattress if you find it’s necessary either by rearranging layers or exchanging them).

Phoenix