Latex Mattress Specs

What a great site. So much helpful info. After reading a bit I am still not clear what densities I should be looking for in a latex base layer and comfort layer.

It seems that for polyfoam the base layer should be 2.0 lbs or greater and the comfort layer should be close to 5 lbs. I have not found similar info for latex.

Also, are there any new additions to the “good guys” list of mattress outlets in the South LA, North Orange County area.

Thanks!!

Hi TAGG,

I personally wouldn’t be looking for specific latex densities or choose a mattress based on “comfort specs” because ILD (or density in the case of Dunlop) alone is only one small part of which mattress may be most suitable for your needs and preferences. Your own personal testing will tell you much more accurately which mattress design is most suitable for your needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) whether you know a single comfort spec about the mattress (such as ILD or density) or not.

If you are testing locally and find a mattress with certain comfort specs and they are willing to disclose these to you (even though they really have no reason to do so because it has nothing to do with the quality or value of a mattress) … then you can use this as a guideline for an online purchase after the fact (your testing) if you are leaning in that direction.

Without knowing the “comfort specs” (not just the ILD) of a local mattress you have tested … then the best way to make an online choice is a more detailed conversation with the retailer or manufacturer you are dealing with so you can use their knowledge and experience to help match you to the “averages” of their customer base that may be similar to you along with any information you can provide about your local testing that may be helpful.

Quality specs (to help you assess the relative durability of a mattress compared to others) or “value specs”(to help you identify which mattresses have better value by knowing the type and thickness of the foams and components in a mattress) on the other hand are an important part of any mattress purchase and part of how you can make meaningful quality and value comparisons with other mattress. Good quality and value is relative to price, design, and construction though and is best used as a means of comparison between mattresses rather than using them as a “standard” to measure against which can become hopelessly confusing without the knowledge and experience of an “expert” to help you “translate” them into meaningful information. For example … a two sided mattress in a suitable design that used 1.5 lb foam may be a better and more durable and better value choice than a one sided mattress that used 1.8 lb foam in thicker layers … and this is just one small example of how a mattress design can make a difference.

The mattresses section of the site (and the overviews there are part of the basic reading suggested in post #1 here) has much more detailed information about foam quality and density and some of the variables involved with where different densities may be a suitable choice. In the case of latex though … density and ILD is not a quality spec and the type and blend of the latex is a more meaningful way to make value comparisons.

No … it is current as far as retailers and manufacturers I’ve researched or am aware of (I make changes to most of the forum lists as I become aware of them).

Beyond the basics … I would focus on your own personal testing and the knowledge and experience of the people you are deaing with and let them help you with the specs or use specs to make comparisons rather than using them as a “target” to choose a mattress. They already know what you would otherwise need to learn and this way you won’t become overwhelmed with information. Too little information or lack of transparency about “necessary” information by a manufacturer or retailer can lead to some poor choices but too much information without the context to really understand it or “translate” it can lead to frustration, overwhelm, and “paralysis by analysis” and also some poor choices based on specs alone that are not in the context of all the other parts of a good mattress purchase.

The information on the site can help you know the basics which can help you identify who is more knowledgeable and who is just providing you with marketing information in an effort to sell you any mattress they can sell you. The forum is also always here as a “fact check” for what you may be told when you are “out there” researching and gathering information :slight_smile:

The knowledge, experience, and integrity of who you deal with can be much more important than what you know or are able to learn beyond the basics.

Phoenix

Thank you for the reply. I plan to test out some mattresses locally. Just wanted to have an idea of what to look for in latex to determine quality.

I have another question after reading on support platforms for mattresses. It looks as though slats or mesh is recommended to allow the mattress to breathe. My bed has a solid platform. Will this present a significant issue for either latex or polyfoam bases?

I guess I could make slats to put on top of the existing board to create a little breathing room.

Thanks again,
TAGG

Hi TAGG,

All latex regardless of type is a higher quality material but you can read more about the different types and how they compare in post #6 here. There is some more technical information about the differences between SBR (Styrene Butadiene or synthetic latex) and NR (Natural Rubber) in post #2 here.

Probably not a “significant” issue no but in combination with other risk factors it could increase the possibility of issues that come from lack of ventilation in between the mattress and the base. You can read more about this in post #10 here. I would also tend towards a slatted base over a wire grid base for an all latex mattress for similar reasons (see post #10 here) because of the additional risk of a latex layer on the bottom compressing into the gaps over time. This would not be a concern with a firm polyfoam bottom layer in a mattress.

Phoenix