Latex mattress thickness - is 6/7" enough?

Hi, I’m looking for a new mattress for my fancy European bed (queen size equiv.) which currently has a 7" thick Simmons spring mattress which has served well but at more than 10 years has had it’s day.
I did my research recently for another bed (full size), was persuaded of the benefits of foam generally and ended up with a 10" Utlra Plush mattress from Ultimate Dreams which is 3" of Talalay latex on 6" of HD foam. I discussed my needs with the owner who proposed a level 5 (just to the firm side of medium), I ordered this bed and am certainly happy with it.
The queen though will likely be our main bed and so I’m ready to stretch to a full latex mattress for the extra springiness etc. But I only have 7" of height to work with as the bed design means that anything thicker would look strange as it would sit above the bar across the foot and also sit high against the rather low headboard.
My question is then whether I can get the comfort and support I need within 7". As I understand it this generally means 6" of latex and an inch of case with padding. This in turn seems to mean 2 layers of 3" latex and so the potential for 2 different densities.
I have contacted a few people with this question and have received differing ideas ranging from 'no problem" to “a 7inch mattress is only for children”.
So I was wondering what some here might have to say?
The physical story is that I am 6’3" and 200lbs, I’m quite skinny/boney and typically sleep on my side although often wake up on my back. I have an old sports injury that means I often have a stiff lower back in the morning. My wife is 5’4" and 100lbs and generally prefers a slightly firmer bed.
It’s hard to find anywhere to test something as specific as this and I’m ready to take the online risk for the saving but need some reassurance about what can be achieved in 7".
Thanks very much in advance for any thoughts.

Hi Jumpjack,

This would depend entirely on your own perceptions and on the specifics of the mattress itself.

A thinner mattress wouldn’t have the same “room” for separate comfort and support layers and for many heavier side sleepers may be too firm (especially on a solid foundation or slatted base) without a separate comfort layer. For lighter weights a soft or medium 6" latex layer (depending on “comfort” preference) may work well to provide good pressure relief and still provide good support and alignment (because of the higher compression modulus or “support factor” of latex compared to other materials) but for someone heavier that also sleeps on their side it may or may not be thick enough depending on your experience and preferences. The mattress itself could be a single layer or a combination of thinner layers with the same thickness.

There is more information in post #14 here about the benefits of a thicker mattress but in the end only your own experience on a specific (or at least similar) mattress can answer this question.

Back sleeping, lighter weights, thinner builds, or firmer preferences would increase the odds that it may work for you.

There are quite a few manufacturers who make a latex mattress with a 6" core with a thin quilting and if you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know of any I’m aware of in your area where you may be able to test this type of mattress…

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, I’m on Manhattan, NYC.

Hi Jumpjack,

The better options I’m aware of in the NYC area are listed in post #2 here and there is a descriptive and "categorized description of most of them in post #4 here.

I would suggest paying Dixie foam a visit (I think highly of them and Mark the owner there) who is one of several on the list that would have a mattress similar to what you are looking for.

Phoenix