Latex Mattresses - Urban Mattress vs Spindle vs Brooklyn Bedding?

I’ve been exploring the wide variety of online mattresses. I wasn’t super familiar with the differences between latex, foam, etc. so I went to Urban Mattress to test out a variety of mattresses and get a sense of the options.

I liked this option: https://www.urbanmattress.com/mattresses/urban-mattress/essentials-silver-lake which is about 40% latex and will be $1500 with free delivery and the option to exchange it if I don’t like it…of course I’m sure whatever I exchanged it for would cost more…

Prior to checking these out, I wasn’t really distinguishing between foam and latex but after checking this one out as well as some 100% latex mattresses, I could feel the difference and am interested in a mattress with some latex (although I’m sure I’d be happy with the foam ones as well.

Spindle popped up as an all-latex option that looks good but the lack of free return option worries me, especially with the cost being close to the cost of a mattress in the store that I’ve already been able to try.

I’ve also been eyeing Brooklyn Bedding as a great option and would also be 40% latex at the same cost, but I’m unsure if it’s the same quality as the Urban Mattress.

I’ve checked out some of the threads but figured that I’d check as well to see if anyone had experience with these brands. Thanks!

Hi bonbon412,

Welcome to the site … and I’m glad you found us :).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP which is the most important part of “value”, the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

The description you linked doesn’t provide all the information I would need to make any meaningful comments about the mattress but if you can provide all the specs that are mentioned in this article and post them on the forum I’d be happy to let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern in terms of the durability or useful life of the mattress. I suspect that there may be a polyfoam layer that is quilted to the cover on top of the latex.

There are also some general comments about innerspring/latex hybrid mattresses in post #13 here that may be helpful and if there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress it would certainly be worth considering.

As you may know … Spindle is a member of this site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They also use very high quality materials (100% natural latex and a wool quilted cotton cover) and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress so it would also be well worth considering although an all latex mattress would be different from a latex/innerspring hybrid. Wool in the quilting is also a great temperature regulating material.

The Spindle mattress is also a component latex mattress which allows you to customize the mattress by choosing the firmness of each layer before a purchase and to further customize the comfort and/or support of the mattress after a purchase by rearranging the layers or replacing an individual layer in the mattress. Exchange and return options are built in to the cost of a mattress so one of the ways that they can reduce their prices is to offer replacement layers at a discounted price instead of having a return or exchange policy. This would reduce the risk of making a choice that isn’t as suitable for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP as you hoped for. There is also more about the pros and cons of a component mattress with a zip cover and loose layers vs a finished mattress with glued layers in post #15 here and post #2 here.

As you probably know they are also a member of this site so my comments about them as a company would be the same as for Spindle.

Their mattress is a polyfoam/latex hybrid so once again it would be different from the other two mattresses you are considering. They also use high quality materials (2" of blended Talalay on top of 2" of continuous pour synthetic Dunlop latex on top of a 2 lb polyfoam base layer and the cover has a thin layer of polyfoam in the quilting) so there are no lower quality materials or weak links in this mattress either relative to any weight range and it would also be well worth considering. They also have a great trial period with a free return so you can try the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom without any risk. I’m not sure why you mentioned that it would be close to the price to the Silver Lake because a queen size would be $750 (less their current 5% discount) while the Silver Lake is listed at $1499. The polyfoam base layer would be less “springy” than the pocket coil in the Silver Lake.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines I linked earlier in this reply relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). The best way to know which type of materials or which type of mattresses you tend to prefer in general terms will be based on your own testing and personal experience because different people can have very different preferences.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

I would first confirm the specs of the materials and components in the Silver Lake mattress so you can confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress before including them as one of your finalists.

Once you’ve done that and have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your own local testing and/or your more detailed phone conversations about each of them, the firmness and suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials and components, designs, or types and blends of latex, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thanks for the great info! I’m unsure of the bed’s construction…the website isn’t very informative sadly. I’ll see if i can learn more, but glad to know that the other two beds are highly recommended and don’t include any weak materials! I’ll read through your other posts and recommendations.

Any thoughts on Purple? It was the direction I was leaning initially, but then I concluded that it’s probably gimmicky. Does that align with your thoughts? Anyone actually slept on one?

Hi bonbon412,

Purple certainly has a very aggressive advertising campaign (their ads show up everywhere once you have been to their site especially) and they are one of about 25 mattresses that I haven’t added yet to the list of what I call “simplified choice mattresses” in post #2 here. Post #1 in the same topic would be worth reading as well.

You can see some comments about the materials and components in the Purple mattress and the buckling column gel they use in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Of course the only way to know for certain whether it would be a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP would be based on your own personal experience when you sleep on it (regardless of whether it would be suitable for anyone else) but like most of the simplified choice mattresses they have a great trial period and return policy that lets you test the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk.

Phoenix