Latex Mattresses

Hi bobfrog12,

I agree this would be nice but for the most part these types of mattresses where you can choose your own layers are mostly only available online (with a few exceptions) regardless of which materials they use.

There are some latex choices around you though where the layering … including the ILD … would be available to you so these could act as guidelines and help you gain experience about the feel and performance of different designs.

ILD is just a comfort spec and some latex manufacturers don’t grade their latex in ILD at all … only density and then they attach a more generic “soft medium firm” rating to their layers. The best way to tell the difference between Talalay and Dunlop would be through personal esperience because they feel and respond differently but in terms of softness/firmness … Dunlop will feel firmer than Talalay in a similar ILD because it is a denser foam that gets firmer faster than Talalay as you sink into it more.

Yes … although it always helps to remember that the closer to the top of a mattress a layer is the more it will affect the feel for most people. If you had a mattress for example where the top 6" were very close and both had relatively firm support layers they would feel much more similar than a mattress where the bottom 6": was a math but the comfort layers were much different.

These kinds of choices are more common with online manufacturers in various combinations of layering but they are an ideal way to reduce the risk of an online purchase for those who don’t have good value available locally. The return policies vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but are usually quite reasonable for the flexibility they provide.

I think for the most part adjustable beds are a great option as a preference or luxury for things like watching TV, reading, or even a massage of sorts but are not a necessity. You can read more of my thoughts in post #3 here and they can play a role in various health conditions as well but they are not good for sleeping over the course of the night for people who sleep on their sides and in these cases should be used flat or at the most a very slight elevation.

Phoenix