Latex Mattresses

Check out https://www.mattresses.net/
I recall speaking to Ken (1 888 77dream)
I’m not sure but I believe they had a 2 layer set up that you could make adjustments to.

Well actually I was only interested in the mattress but then I drove over to a local mattress manufacturer to ask if they made full latex mattresses. They do and they cost $3800 with an adjustable frame ($2400 for mattresses). One thing their saleslady mentioned that I hadn’t thought about was that some adjustable frames pull you away from your nightstand when it’s adjusted. She said theirs is a wall hugger in that you won’t leave the nightstand behind when you adjust the bed. Since I didn’t talk about the Ergo adjustable frame that Denver Mattress sells, I researched it online and found that theirs is a wallhugger too, so that’s good to know. I also found it for almost half price (Denver Mattress is $1600) from an Amazon seller. Google the bed frame name and you should find other prices. I tried the frame yesterday when I was trying out the Snowmass and I really like that it’s so quiet. It’s definitely something that I would like to get also. I have a sleigh bed and assumed that I wouldn’t be able to use it, but the saleslady from the local manufacturer told me that they work fine with sleigh beds as well. I checked that out and sure enough Denver Mattress Ergo system works with them as well too.

Thank you so much. I will check it out. I checked my bookmarks. The site that makes a custom laxtex mattress is CustomSleepDesign.com. And the Ergomotion 100 series adjustable frame from Denver Mattress is $899 for queen size at Amazon. But if you want king, its $1538. Both have free shipping. I also discovered that there are other series like the Ergomotion 200 & Ergomotion 400, but I haven’t researched what they have that the 100 series that Denver Mattress sells doesn’t have.

Hi bertiebus,

Unfortunately there is no way for anyone else to know how a mattress will feel and perform for someone else based on specs and you will need to trust your own personal testing which is really the only accurate way to know. Post #1 here has some suggestions about how to test a mattress as objectively as possible (rather than testing for the much more subjective “feel” of a mattress) which can improve your odds of making a suitable choice. The only thing I can speak to is the quality and value of a mattress. It may also be worth reading post #2 here and post #5 here.

From a quality perspective the materials are good and there are no obvious weak links in the mattress. From a “commodity value” point of view the value is also great. There are also many other parts to value though which may be part of your personal value equation and only you can know your own confidence level in the suitability of the mattress as well as all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of a mattress purchase that are most important to you. If the mattress is suitable for your needs and preferences it would seem to me to be great value. If it’s not … then no matter what it’s “commodity value” … it would have little value for you regardless of the price you paid. This is the question you would need to decide based on your own personal testing.

The adjustable bed thread here may also help you with making choices between adjustable beds and has some good value references as well.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,

I’m new to this site and it’s been great learning something new every day. What a wealth of information you are. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise!

Well, you confirmed what I was already thinking about the Snowmass, that it really wasn’t quite the mattress for me. It was comfortable and while my back was mostly aligned, it felt that my shoulders should have dipped a bit more. So no, the significantly reduced price of the Snowmass wouldn’t have been a good value for me after all. Thanks for the info on the adjustable beds. I will certainly be studying up on those too.

I have a question about another thread, so when I have a bit more time, I’ll get to it. Thanks again and congratulations on a fantastic website.

Hi bertibus,

You’re very welcome … and thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix, Note the Bobfrog12 had a similar experience with the Denver Mattress Snowmass! It took a little longer for his to get to soft, but it still didn’t take long.

bobfrog12, if you are following this thread, I had a similar experience:

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/denver-mattress-snowmass-softened-in-4-days
Lew

Hi Lew,

I certainly did notice it and there are also others who have had the same experience with latex that have posted on the forum. There are others yet whose experience on latex is the exact opposite and they swear that it never becomes soft enough for their preferences. These types of experiences can be all over the map for different people and while each one is certainly meaningful from an individual perspective … I have come to know that each person’s experience may be unique to them (and of course will be shared with some others as well) and may not apply to the broader group.

Different people will be affected and react and respond to different degrees of foam softening (of other changes in materials) in very different ways and this is just part of our individuality and unique makeup.

Phoenix

My difficulty in the whole mattress search experience is that nowhere was I able to find samples of latex which I could feel and guage the density of the different ild’s. Ideally it would be nice to find a mattress manufacturer with slabs of hard, medium and soft latex just to see how they feel. But I haven’t come across that. Then again I don’t know what regulatory sanctions there are for grading latex ild’s and how rigidly they are controlled, nor the difference in feel from Talalay to Dunlop. And this gets complicated further when mixing layers of regular high density poly foam with the latex. The closest option I was able to find was at www.mattress.net as I indicated in my 4/07 reply. They will ship a core and top layer in the firmness of your choice and if not satisfied they will exchange pieces for another
firmness. You have to pay for the freight though (I think). I would be interested in Phoenix’s comments on the adjustable automatic bed frames. Felt great for lying on my back but what about in the middle of the night when you want to roll onto your side?

Hi bobfrog12,

I agree this would be nice but for the most part these types of mattresses where you can choose your own layers are mostly only available online (with a few exceptions) regardless of which materials they use.

There are some latex choices around you though where the layering … including the ILD … would be available to you so these could act as guidelines and help you gain experience about the feel and performance of different designs.

ILD is just a comfort spec and some latex manufacturers don’t grade their latex in ILD at all … only density and then they attach a more generic “soft medium firm” rating to their layers. The best way to tell the difference between Talalay and Dunlop would be through personal esperience because they feel and respond differently but in terms of softness/firmness … Dunlop will feel firmer than Talalay in a similar ILD because it is a denser foam that gets firmer faster than Talalay as you sink into it more.

Yes … although it always helps to remember that the closer to the top of a mattress a layer is the more it will affect the feel for most people. If you had a mattress for example where the top 6" were very close and both had relatively firm support layers they would feel much more similar than a mattress where the bottom 6": was a math but the comfort layers were much different.

These kinds of choices are more common with online manufacturers in various combinations of layering but they are an ideal way to reduce the risk of an online purchase for those who don’t have good value available locally. The return policies vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but are usually quite reasonable for the flexibility they provide.

I think for the most part adjustable beds are a great option as a preference or luxury for things like watching TV, reading, or even a massage of sorts but are not a necessity. You can read more of my thoughts in post #3 here and they can play a role in various health conditions as well but they are not good for sleeping over the course of the night for people who sleep on their sides and in these cases should be used flat or at the most a very slight elevation.

Phoenix

As a follow up several years later on Denver Mattresses. The Snowmass that I bought became too soft after less than a year to the point of being too painful to sleep on. We talked to the Denver Mattress retailer and they came out and agreed that it could be returned for exchange. All very good. We went and selected their Telluride model since it was a hybrid with individually wrapped coils which we figured would not break down over time as the Snowmass had. Again, the first few months were very comfortable, but unfortunately over time it has become too soft to the point that when I get out of bed in the morning I can barely walk. I can no longer sleep on it. I went back to the retailer recently and tried the same showroom model and it felt exactly as firm and comfortable as when I first purchased mine. I’m not sure I have any recourse now since it has been about 2 years since I bought it.
I am now looking at a new bed (Gold Boxtop, Lady Americana) made by Bowles Mattress. It is similar in construction; performance fabric quilted to 1.5" soft poly foam, .5"gel memory foam, 1" 32ILD latex, 2.4"17.5 gauge ind. wrapped micro-coils, 2" 19ILD latex foam, 6" 15-15.5 guaged zoned ind. wrapped coils (total coil count 2,203) encased in 3" x 6" foam and finally a 2" base support pad. It feels wonderful, but my concerns are will it hold up or break down similar to the Denver Matresses. Also, the latex is 100% synthetic which I have not heard of being used (usually it’s all natural or a blend). Does anyone know anything about this mattress?

Hi BobFrog11,

I’m sorry to hear about the experiences you had with two different mattresses. I’m not sure whether either of your mattresses had actual visible impressions or if it was just foam softening but there are some suggestions in post #4 here about mattresses that have developed soft spots or are sagging that may be helpful.

If this has happened with two mattresses then it’s also possible that you are tending towards choosing mattresses that are too close to the edge of the comfort/support range that is too soft for you so that even normal amounts of foam softening would be enough to put you over the edge of the comfort/support range that you would sleep well on (see post #2 here). If this is the case then choosing mattresses that are in a firmer range may be a good idea.

If your Telluride mattress has visible impressions that are deeper than the warranty exclusions then I would certainly talk with Denver Mattress about a warranty exchange.

If the latex they are using is 100% synthetic (it used to be blended Talalay latex) then it’s most likely the continuous pour Dunlop made by Mountaintop foam which would be a durable material and wouldn’t be a weak link in the mattress. You can read more about the many different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and you can also read more about synthetic continuous pour Dunlop latex made by Mountaintop foam in post #2 here but all latex is a durable material relative to other types of foam. You can also ask them if it’s Talalay or Dunlop and if it’s Talalay from Talalay Global then it would be a blend of about 70% synthetic and about 30% natural.

There are some comments about the Bowles Gold Boxtop in posts #10 and #11 here and in post #2 here.

While there aren’t any obvious weak links in the mattress for most people … given your experience with your previous two mattresses I would be very cautious and make sure that this mattress isn’t also “on the edge” of being too soft for you as well because with 1.5" of soft quilting foam and some of the other softer materials in this mattress it’s still possible that even normal foam softening may take you out of the comfort support range that will be suitable for you faster than normal as well although the zoning in the center third may help offset this to some degree.

I read back through your previous posts and I didn’t see anything about your weight or body type but this would be particularly important if you are in a higher weight range.

Phoenix

I’m 5’8" 180lbs, my wife is the same height and about 158lbs. I am still considering some of the all latex mattresses I’ve seen on line. Brooklyn Bedding and it’s sister company Dream Foam Bedding both have some interesting options. Brooklyn’s mattress ($750) has 2- 2" top layers (1 Talalay and 2 Dunlop) then 6" of 2lb poly foam as a base core. Dream Foam has the Ultimate Dreams Customizable ($899) with 3 - 3" layers (soft, med or firm) of Dunlop synthetic latex and a cover with 1.25" top and .75" bottom 1.5lb poly foam. Their Aloe Alexis ($1699)is 2-3" layers of Talalay latex on a 6" HD poly base. Both companies have a 100% satisfaction guarantee,
that if not satisfied it can be returned, no questions asked for full refund (minus shipping charge with Dream Foam).
My concerns are that their prices are so much less than any other companies can their materials be as good, and also do they really stand behind their return policies. Are there any members with any experience with either of these companies? It seems to be an inexpensive way to try out these types of mattresses. I’m just a bit gunshy after my experiences with Denver Mattress.

Hi bobfrog,

Both Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam are members of this site which means that I think very highly of both of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. A forum search on Brooklyn Bedding or on Dreamfoam (you can just click both links) will bring up hundreds of posts with comments and feedback about both of them (although many of the Brooklyn Bedding posts will be from the time they sold different mattresses than the one they are currently selling).

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses.

Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which is all about how well you will sleep, the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is the quality and durability of the materials in a mattress (which is all about how long you will sleep well) and a mattress is only as good as its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label. Manufacturers all have access to the same or similar materials so the quality and durability of a material in a mattress that is used by one manufacturer would be the same as another manufacturer using the same material regardless of which manufacturer is using it and the price of a mattress will often have little to do with it’s quality or durability.

There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is also more about the quality/durability guidelines that I would suggest following in post #4 here that can help you assess the durability of any mattress you purchase or whether there are any weak links in the design (again regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label). There is also more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people or other mattresses you are considering in post #4 here as well.

Assuming that the mattresses you are mentioning aren’t “on the edge” of being too soft for you … in terms of quality and durability none of them use any lower quality materials or have any weak links in their design relative to your body weight and they would all be well worth considering.

When you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you are) and none of them have any weak links or lower quality materials in their design (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that either of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about the suitability of each one, their prices, the options you have after a purchase to change the firmness or exchange or return the mattress, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix, you are a machine. Thank you for all your posts and personal attention.

HI wbabbit,

Thank you for your kind words! I try.

Phoenix

Hi, does this site have a list of 100% latex mattress brands?

There is a large list elsewhere, but it is a lot to sort through and am finding several already on the list do not carry 100% latex mattresses. Also am spending a lot of time reading through paragraphs upon paragraphs of information and posts but cannot find the specific information I am looking for.

I’m already decided on 100% latex and am looking for options.

I was thinking of purchasing the Ultimate Dreams Total Latex mattress. After researching and settling on this one, I checked with company, and it is not 100% latex, which is kind of misleading as the name of this mattress contains the phrase “total latex”.

Thanks in advance!

Hi sleepless222,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You may have already come across these posts, but just in case you haven’t:
Post #21 here lists members here of the site who use latex in their mattresses, and many of them make products that are entirely comprised of latex.
The component post here also lists members and non-members providing latex layers, and some offer completed all-latex mattresses.
Our entire site membership is listed here, and many of these manufacturers and stores offer 100% latex mattresses.

I apologize, but in re-reading my notes I see forgot to address your statement. The Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Total Latex is an all-latex mattress, using a choice of a 6" Dunlop or Talalay latex core, with 3" of Talalay latex on top of that. The only other materials in the mattress are the organic wool fiber and a thin .5" piece of quilt foam (for assembly integrity) stitched together in the zippered quilt panel.

Besides those lists, I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local or online lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of latex mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with.

I hope that helps.

Phoenix

Thanks. Sleep Like the Dead has a list, but it was shorter than yours, so I’ll have to revisit them.

I’ve spent weeks shopping for a mattress already but started looking through your links above, and the mattress companies don’t publish the specifications. It’s too much to contact each and every one to find every bit of information. I have emails, calls, notes everywhere. I think I am going back to the old way of shopping for a bed. I thought this online shopping would be easier with the cababiltiies of the internet, but apparently not! Thanks

Hi sleepless222,

Members of the site here are transparent with their specifications of their products (it’s part of their qualification for site membership), but you’re correct that too few mattress companies and manufacturers don’t provide meaningful information about what’s contained within their mattresses, which is the only way you can judge the quality and durability of any product.

I’m not exactly sure what the “old way” of shopping for a mattress is, but many people do prefer to stay with their local vendors and try things out in person, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with that. Whether online or local, they key is to find knowledgeable and transparent people who can help guide you through the process and provide complete details of any item you’re considering. While the easy access to the abundance of information available online can make shopping more convenient, if the information presented isn’t meaningful or complete, I agree it won’t necessarily make your shopping experience more fruitful.

Phoenix