Latex/Memory Foam mattress for use on an adjustable bed frame

This is worse than buying a car! I started researching memory foam mattresses -to be used with a newly purchased Full Adjustable Bed Frame - (the Leggitt & Platt S-Cape - branded “Living Comfort” for Sleepys). It is for use by my adult son - who weighs about 240 lbs. who wants a FIRM mattress. After reading over days, I wanted to buy one made with USA materials - then began looking @ latex foam.

LATEX: has anyone had any experience with this company and it’s product(s) - Foam Factory, Inc.

1. i called Foam Factory Inc., asking where in Europe was the Talalay Latex Form manufactured - to be told “the employees are not given that information” - asked to speak to the owner - “Carlos” answers - stating “we don’t give out that information” - why? - “competition”.

https://www.foambymail.com/LTX6TLY-/talalay-latex-foam-mattress.html
Talalay Latex Foam Mattresses - 6" Firm 36 ILD - $499 (includes grey & white zippered cover and free shipping_

Details:
• 5.6LB density
• 6 inch thick High Quality 100% Natural Talalay Latex Foam
• Aerated interior dissipates heat and body moisture
• Hypoallergenic and anti-microbial
• Identical density and firmness throughout the product
• Only food-grade ingredients are used during the manufacturing process
• Conforms to your body contours for superb comfort
• Topped with equal perforations of 1/4 inch over the whole surface
• Mattress does not need to be turned or flipped
• Made in Europe
• 30-Day 100% Guarantee*
• 10-Year Warranty*

1. The Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress by Dreamfoam Bedding –
    Amazon.com

Full size is $499 but it only has 3 inches of Talalay Latex foam and no phone number to speak with anyone at that company.

MEMORY FOAM:

1. Aerus Natural Ultra-Luxe 12" Full Size Memory Foam (3" of 4.0 pound density memory foam)
    $414.00
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/aerus-natural-ultra-luxe-12-full-size-memory-foam/185772.ip?navAction=push

Extra Thick 12" height for additional body support and stability
    Premium Aerus Natural open-cell, breathable Memory Foam
    Made with portions of natural-based ingredients which support environmental sustainability
    Produced using an exclusive VPF process – the most environmentally-friendly process in North America
    Bamboo cover included
    Bamboo cover is naturally antibacterial, anti-microbial, and anti-fungal
    Memory Foam Made in the U.S.A.
    Mattress Dimensions: 54"W x 75"L x 12"H
    Foam Density: 4.0 pound density
    Full Mattress weighs 63.0lbs

Sleep Innovations 10-Inch SureTemp Memory Foam Mattress With 20-Year Warranty, with 2-Bonus Memory Foam Pillows, Full Size
$359.99

(Origin: USA)

3-inch comfort layer: SureTemp Memory foam
7-inch support layer: Responsive support foam ; 20-year manufacturers limited warranty

This 10-inch mattress provides a medium soft to medium-firm feel.

Phoenix et al - talk to me please B)

Hi pants,

Foam factory has many websites including Foam By Mail (FBM) and you can see my thoughts about them in post #2 here and post #2 here. As you can see I personally wouldn’t consider them as a good company to do business with and I have little confidence that what you order is what you will receive.

[quote]2. The Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress by Dreamfoam Bedding –
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051BYHSO/ref...1&smid=APCUWEOU23BHI

Full size is $499 but it only has 3 inches of Talalay Latex foam and no phone number to speak with anyone at that company.[/quote]

Brooklyn Bedding (and Dreamfoam which is their sister company that sells on Amazon) is one of the members of this site which means I consider them to be among the best quality/value in the country. They are easy to talk to (and one of their comfort options is “ask Chuck” where you can talk with him about your choice). Their phone number is listed on Amazon here and on their Dreamfoam Bedding site here.

[quote]1. Aerus Natural Ultra-Luxe 12" Full Size Memory Foam (3" of 4.0 pound density memory foam)
$414.00

This is a basic entry level memory foam mattress with mid quality materials that are lower quality than the basic Dreamfoam gel memory foam mattress here although it has reasonable value. Some of my thoughts about buying from Costco or any big box store are in post #4 here. these types of purchases are always a roll of the dice in terms of buying a mattress that is suitable for your needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) because there is nobody to talk to that has good knowledge or information about their products and how suitable it may be for your for your specific needs and preferences. If you choose the wrong mattress then no matter how good the “value” of the mattress it would have little value to you if you can’t sleep on it. The only good thing about Costco is that at least your financial risk is lower because of their return policy so you can return the mattress and start all over from the beginning again.

[quote]Sleep Innovations 10-Inch SureTemp Memory Foam Mattress With 20-Year Warranty, with 2-Bonus Memory Foam Pillows, Full Size
$359.99[/quote]

This mattress only uses 3 lb memory foam which is lower quality/density than I would consider even in a low budget mattress (see post #10 here).

Just as a side note … the real “cost” of buying a mattress in the lowest budget ranges that has questionable quality/durability, where you can’t be certain of the quality/durability of what you are buying, or isn’t suitable for your unique needs and preferences, can be much more than just the money you spend in terms of the quality of your sleep and it’s effect on your overall well being when you are awake. You are usually much better off to buy from a source that has the information, knowledge, and experience to help you make the most suitable choices and will provide you with accurate information about their mattresses. in other words … who you buy from can be just as important as what you buy.

Phoenix

so Phoenix:

A. what is your opinion of this mattress?
B. for use on the adjustable bed frame?

1. The Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress by Dreamfoam Bedding –
    Amazon.com

Full size is $499 but it only has 3 inches of Talalay Latex foam and no phone number to speak with anyone at that company.

Brooklyn Bedding (and Dreamfoam which is their sister company that sells on Amazon) is one of the members of this site which means I consider them to be among the best quality/value in the country. They are easy to talk to (and one of their comfort options is “ask Chuck” where you can talk with him about your choice). Their phone number is listed on Amazon here and on their Dreamfoam Bedding site here.

Hi pants,

I’m not sure what you are asking and I gave my thoughts about the Dreamfoam mattresses in my last reply (which you quoted in your post) and linked to their phone number as well so you can talk to them about your firmness choice or ask them any questions about their mattresses.

Finding any mattress in this low budget range that has as much as 3" of latex in the comfort layers (which is a very high quality material usually found in higher budget mattresses) is very uncommon and would cost much more in a mainstream mattress.

It would work well with an adjustable base (as most foam mattresses will).

Phoenix

that’s what was asked, you r"opinion" of that particular mattress: The Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress by Dreamfoam Bedding - which has 3 inches of foam vs. 6 (https://www.foambymail.com/LTX6TLY-/talalay-latex-foam-mattress.html)

was under the obviously incorrect impression that 6 inches of latex foam would be better than 3 inches - (although i understand the lack of confidence in the foambymail company)

Hi pants,

I can only speak to the quality and value of a mattress and my opinion of all the Dreamfoam mattresses (including the one you are mentioning) are very similar. They all represent great quality and value in their budget range. In most cases you will find that the “value” of the mattresses made by a particular manufacturer are similar throughout their entire lineup except in most cases mattresses that are in a higher budget range also have a slightly higher margin.

The choice between the different styles within a manufacturer’s lineup would be based on which one was most suitable for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, personal preferences) your preferences of material and design, your budget, the options that each design provides before and after a purchase, and on what I call your personal value equation which is all the objective, subjectiv, and intangible parts and tradeoffs that are part of every mattress purchase that are most important to you. This is something that only each person can evaluate for themselves.

If you are making “apples to apples” comparisons based only on the “commodity value” of a mattress then 6" of latex would be more costly than 3" of the same type of latex. “Better” also depends on the criteria that is used and what each person considers to be the most important parts of a mattress purchase. Of course the commodity value of a mattress is part of what most people would include in their personal value equation but it is by no means the whole story (or in some cases even the most important part).

No matter what the “quality” or “value” of a mattress by any definition … if a mattress isn’t suitable for your specific needs and preferences it would have little value to you no matter what materials are in it. By the same token … if what you think you are buying is not likely to be what you are actually buying, then this would also (at least for me) be an important consideration in who I do business with.

When all is said and done … most people will remember much more about how well they slept on a mattress (its suitability) and how long it continued to provide them with the comfort and support they need (its durability) than they will about relatively small differences in the price they initially paid. There is real “value” in all the different parts of a mattress purchase but each person may put a different emphasis or “weight” on some of the many considerations and tradeoffs involved than others.

Phoenix

well said Phoenix - your rapid replies and expertise are much appreciated