Latex on top of air mattress for guests vs pull-out sofabed

Looking for guidance on whether I should be looking for 3 inches of dunlop or talalay for a topper to go on a queen air mattress that we plan on using for guests.

Also, is this viable as a solution that can be stored when not using? This would be an alternative to getting a pull-out sofabed.

Hi mgd150 and welcome back!

When you say air mattress, I’m assuming you mean such as one that you would take camping? As opposed to a regular bed that is filled with air that you pump up and down for firmness.

It depends on the quality of both the air mattress and the sofa bed, of course. I’ve seen some sofa beds with very thin mattresses, few springs, and hence, not too comfortable. Air mattresses, also, can vary in their quality, but the higher quality ones can be quite comfortable. However, if using for adults, you would definitely want to check what the weight requirements are. Adding 3 inches of dunlop or talalay would certainly add to the comfort, as I believe a lot of air mattresses are 4" or 6" which is not a lot of cushion.
Also, think about where you would store the 3 inches of latex when not in use. It is usually recommended to store latex flat, but it takes up a lot of space that way. However, it can bend a bit if stored on its side, especially if only 3 inches deep.
Good luck in your search!
Katie for TCB

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. This would be on top of a high quality, raised queen air mattress (like 13-18 inch), that we would inflate to use as needed, then deflate the next morning.

Regarding storing the topper - is it advisable to recompress it in a vacuum sealed bag for storage? I think thats what I had in mind, either that or rolling it and strapping it.

It depends on how long you need to leave it that way (which I guess depends on how often you have guests). Optimally, latex needs to breathe and would be stored flat. But if that’s not possible, then rolling and strapping would be preferable to vacuum sealing it.
I know it takes up a lot of space :slight_smile:

1 Like