Latex Options Sleep EZ 10000 or 13000

I happened upon your site today after a recent visit to a big box store to look at another mattress! We’ve gone through 5 mattresses in the last 7 years with nothing but bad sleep. Four inner spring mattresses from two of the “S” manufacturers and the last one being a Tempurpedic. All of them were higher end expensive mattresses. With all of them we got poor sleep and woke up sore. In my last visit to the big box store they actually showed me some latex beds from three manufacturers, Pranasleep, Natura, and their own brand. Having no knowledge of latex I asked the sales person a lot of questions and got some vague information. We bounced between several models in latex and innerspring. I felt much more support and comfort on the latex mattresses. The price point of the Pranasleep and Natura were far more than I wanted to spend (4K and up), not wanting to make another mattress mistake and throw more money out the window. The stores self branded latex model was reasonably priced $1600. I asked the sales person why the big price difference between the two and all they could tell me was it was due to the type of latex used. We left the store without buying a mattress and I headed to the internet to do some research. I found not so glowing reviews on both the Pranasleep and the Natura and nothing on the Big Box brand name. What I did find was your site and what an educational and eye opening experience it has been. Having heard all the sales pitches and jargon through my last five mattress purchases with none of them living up to their promises. I have become totally disillusioned with the mattress buying experience. I’ve spent most of the day reading articles and threads on your site and I with I found it long ago. Thank you for all the information and demystifying a great deal of the information or lack there of regarding mattresses.

I’m almost certain we will be buying a latex mattress and am leaning towards one of Sleep EZs models (10,000 or 13,000). I like the idea of being able to tweak the comfort/support and the 90 day return policy if we don’t like it. None of our previous purchases had a return option, just an exchange option, which never helped. I also like the idea of having the two sides of the bed different as we have trouble agreeing on a bed. I’m 6’2" 190lbs and she’s 5.1" 120lbs. She likes a soft cushy bed and I need something with support for my bad lower back. We’re going to try and find some local stores with all latex mattresses to go try. Do you know of any reputable stores around Boston with quality latex options? We live about 40 minutes north of the city. Are there any other online options you would recommend we look at in addition to Sleep EZ?

Thank you for any additional help you can provide!

I created an account just to share our own experience with Sleep EZ. We found out about Sleep EZ from Mattress Underground, Thank you!

We were working with a budget of around $1200 for a queen size mattress. We called Sleep EZ and spoke with Shawn about model 7000 as that was the only one within our budget. That model has only two layers and we weren’t sure what firmness to order. Shawn directed us to their special (listed on the left of their website under Information, “This Month’s Specials”) which has three layers and is priced at $1245. We ordered the 8" special in firm, med, and soft layers. He included two free latex pillows with our mattress. He said to expect some adjustment period as we were sleeping on a 25 year old innerspring mattress.

We have had our new mattress for two months now and couldn’t be more satisfied. We no longer wake up sore and pain in hip and shoulder joints is greatly diminished. Dealings on the telephone with Shawn and with Jeremy were all positive. We plan to order more from this company in the future, starting with a couple more pillows. We highly recommend Sleep EZ!

Hi B.

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice for you … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

It sounds like you were shopping at Jordans. As you will read … outside of your testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … the most important part of a mattress purchase is knowing the specifics of all the layers inside it so that you can identify any weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses.

You can read more about the Pranasleep mattresses in post #2 here (the links near the end) and I would be very cautious with these because they use more lower density polyfoam in the quilting layers than I would be comfortable with and this can be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability.

Natura makes some high quality mattresses and most of them don’t have any weak links in their design but you may not be able to find out all the information you need to make an informed choice with some of them and I would also make some very careful value comparisons with these because they tend to be more costly than many other mattresses made by other manufacturers that use similar materials.

Assuming you are talking about Jordans … I would also be cautious with their own brand and make sure that they don’t have any weak links in their design (such as some of the comments here about the Lanai).

As you probably know from some of your reading here … SleepEz is one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, and service. They make some very high quality/value mattresses that also give you good options after a purchase to either rearrange or exchange layers to fine tune the mattress should you need to and as you mentioned you can also customize each side to the specific needs and preferences of a couple.

The tutorial post also includes a link to a list of some of the other members here that also sell latex mattresses online.

Some of the better local options in and around the Boston area are listed in post #2 here and there are also some good local options available to you as well.

Phoenix

Hi dmcgill,

My wife and I got a Sleep EZ 10,000 + topper. We have had the mattress for a little over a month now and I have enjoyed it even though it took some time in adjusting the layering combinations to fit my PPP the way I like. With that said it is quite easy to adjust the layers to give the bed a different feel. My wife likes it because my side of the bed and her side of the bed are different and are suited to each of our needs.

You can read more about my experience with Sleep EZ in my post here. You will also read about my experience in swapping layers around as I have kept the thread going with the changes I have made to the mattress so I have a reference later on.

I hope this helps you out and good luck with your mattress buying experience!

We bought what we thought was a 100% latex mattress 5 yrs ago from a mattress chain. The whole experience is worse than buying a used car. The salespeople… don’t even get me started. Sleazy and totally clueless. Anyway, the guy showed us a cutaway for a 100% latex mattress and it felt pretty good in the stores so we bought it. It started sagging within a year and was terribly uncomfortable. After doing more research I found out what they sold me was actually a 1.5" of latex over some low grade foam, not what they showed us at all! Bottom line, Bedding Experts is AWFUL! Calling them bedding amateurs would be a drastic overstatement! “Where dreams come true”??? More like nightmares.

Anyway, that’s the experience that led me here (thanks for letting me vent). Also, thanks to themattressunderground.com for some actual honest information about mattresses!

I’m looking at the Sleep-EZ as well but will probably go with the 9000. I was also considering the Habitat Furnishings 8" but the Sleep-Ez seems like a better value. My wife and I both tend toward the firmer side. I’m going to call Sleep-Ez and see what they recommend.

Hi Earthvisitor,

I switched your post to a new topic so our conversation doesn’t hijack the other thread.

As long as your comments are reasonable (which they are) … you’re welcome to vent anytime :slight_smile:

It’s always a good idea to call so they can help you decide on the options that are best for you and they are great to talk with. I also agree with you that for most people they would be better value than the Habitat 8". SleepEz has multiple layers that can be rearranged or exchanged to fine tune the mattress, have several options for the type of latex you can choose for each layer, and have a lower price.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Hi CentralPA,
Thanks for the reply, I just read your post. You seemed to try a lot of different configurations. Have you found a configuration you are happy with? Is your topper totally separate from the mattress?

Phoenix,
Thank you for the reply and information. I’m going to so some local exploration and try and lay in a few latex mattresses to zero in on a PPP that works. In my area I’m going to check out Spindle Mattress, The Organic Mattress and a store called The Clean Bedroom. I’ll reply after visiting those.

Drmcgill

Hi drmcgill,

I’m looking forward to your feedback after you’ve visited them :slight_smile:

Phoenix

The topper is totally separate from the mattress. I haven’t tried any configurations without the topper but that will be another route we can go to work on finding the PPP that works best for me.

I actually just adjusted the configuration today and will try that out. You can follow my post to see how it is coming along. I will also say every configuration I have tried so far has been without swapping layers with Sleep EZ. I have used some from my wifes side and some that I had on my side. I will say I am still very happy with my Sleep EZ purchase even though I haven’t quite gotten it right yet. My wife just loves her side of the bed. I normally sleep hot and sometimes wake up sweating but with the wool in the quilting I haven’t had this issue yet.