Latex over coils mattress. Does anyone have any experience with them?

So I am back again on my hunt for the right mattress for me. I have already tried the #BBME as well as the original Nest Hybrid neither of which were a good fit for me as I struggled with the poor edge support of the #BBME and I didn’t like the ultra soft polyfoam top layer of the Nest Hybrid.

I really like the feel of sleeping on latex but I have generally not been a fan of all latex options due to poor edge support and of course the high price. It looks like there are a few options for latex over coils which I find to be intriguing and am wondering if anyone has an experience with them especially in regards to how they compare in feel to full latex mattresses.

These are the ones I am eyeing although if anyone knows of others feel free to chime in:

Plushbeds Luxury Bliss: http://www.plushbeds.com/Luxury-Bliss-Latex-Mattress.html

My Green Mattress Natural Escape: www.mygreenmattress.com
Arizona Premium Mattress Ultimate Hybrid: Ultimate Hybrid- Pocket Coil/Latex

I know Nest has one as well but I am turned off by it since they said it contains polyfoam below and above the pocketed coil unit as well as my bad experience with them during my time with the Alexander Hybrid.

I love the price of the Natural Escape but I have concerns over the one firmness only option as I am a 140lbs side sleeper so I generally prefer a slightly softer top layer. This is also my concern with the PlushBeds option as well. Any feedback from people that have any of these would be much appreciated.

Hi zexpress,

[quote]I really like the feel of sleeping on latex but I have generally not been a fan of all latex options due to poor edge support and of course the high price. It looks like there are a few options for latex over coils which I find to be intriguing and am wondering if anyone has an experience with them especially in regards to how they compare in feel to full latex mattresses.

These are the ones I am eyeing although if anyone knows of others feel free to chime in:

Plushbeds Luxury Bliss: www.plushbeds.com/Luxury-Bliss-Latex-Mattress.html

My Green Mattress Natural Escape

Arizona Premium Mattress Ultimate Hybrid: Ultimate Hybrid- Pocket Coil/Latex
[/quote]

There are many people who prefer latex/innerspring hybrids (see post #13 here) and outside of any local options that may be available in your area … some of the better innerspring/latex options I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here and the post it links to but if you wish to test any of them in person rather than ordering online you would need to check their websites or call them to see if any of them have a dealer close to you.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Of course the only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience so if you can’t test a specific mattress in person then the options you have available after a purchase to either exchange the mattress or individual layers or components or return the mattress for a refund (and any costs involved) would generally become a more important part of your personal value equation.

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … all of the mattresses you listed use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would be a reason for concern in terms of the durability or useful life of any of them.

Phoenix

Thanks for the links to some of the other options. I didn’t realize there were so many! I am leaning towards Arizona Premium Mattress as I like the idea of being able to swap out the top layer if I end up with a mattress that is too soft or firm although they had indicated that based on my weight and sleep style it would be very unlikely I would need anything firmer than the soft option regardless of whether I go with talalay or dunlop latex.

Hi zexpress,

Arizona Premium would certainly make a great quality/value choice and as you mentioned you would have the option to change out the top layer if your firmness choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hope for.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing once you’ve decided to pull the trigger.

Phoenix