Latex Over Coils to Try

Hi!

I’ve been scouring the website for a week looking for a new mattress. Such an amazing resource. Thank you Phoenix!!

I currently have a king double pillowtop innerspring mattress (Ortho Miriacle Bed) that’s 10 years old and is on a slatted-board box foundation (split King). I have that on an adjustable metal frame. It’s been causing me aches and pains so I was tossing and turning all night. I’m okay with the feel of the foam over springs/coils before it’s broken down but want to get away from cheap foam and materials made with who knows what.

For the last two weeks I’ve been sleeping on a Simmons beautyrest Roosevelt Luxury innerspring full size mattress on a box spring with a tencile mattress pad in the guest room and have been sleeping pretty well with no aches, pains or overheating. (I sleep hot and don’t care for memory foam.)

After lots of researching I’m leaning towards latex over coils. I’ve never tried latex and would like to before I purchase online from one of your members (My Green Mattress or Luma Sleep.) Is there something that I could try at Sleep Train that would be similar in feel to:

1. My Green Mattress Natural Escape or
  2. Luma Sleep Base Luma Mattress Medium with and without 3" talalay medium latex topper.

Not sure about the 3" talalay topper with the Luma Mattress. I have a new Sleep Philosophy celliant mattress pad that I’ll be using. I’m on a bit of a budget and figure I can add the Luma talalay topper or a different type of topper later if the Luma is too firm on it’s own. Not sure about just 1 1/2" talalay over the coils either but I may not need/like 4 1/2" of talalay on top of the coils.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hi BUNNY,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You’re very welcome!

Both Luma Sleep and My Green Mattress are members of the site, which means that I think highly of them, and you’re certainly considering items using quality materials. Unfortunately, there isn’t anything listed on the Sleep Train site that is remotely close to the items you’re considering. If you provide your zip code I can see if I am aware of any other possibilities closer to your home.

I agree that your own careful and personal testing is the most reliable indicator of your preference. Hopefully we can find something closer to your home for you to test out. Otherwise, I can provide some information about choosing a mattress online, return policies and managing expectations.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix! Thanks for the quick reply.

Truckee/Tahoe 96161. I’m in the Reno and Sacramento areas frequently so those are options.

I feel pretty comfortable ordering from either Luma Sleep Or My Green Mattress since they’re both members here. I see that Luma Sleep has a 365 day comfort exchange/return policy but they’re a newer company. I like My Green Mattress’ proven history and quality but the 100 night exchange/return policy with a $99 fee has me leaning towards Luma. (Especially, since I’m not sure about latex yet.)

Arizona Mattress looks good too. Not sure about their exchange policy.

I expect to get 5-7 years out of a mattress.

Thanks again for all your help!

Hi BUNNY,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Reno/Carson City/Sparks area (subject to making sure that they are fully transparent and that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here ) are listed in post #3 here . The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around Sacramento are listed here .

In Tahoe, JM Furniture lists Englander as one of their offerings, but they don’t list the models they show on the floor. Englander does have a latex line, so they might be worth phoning.

I’d be comfortable recommending both companies to anyone for a mattress purchase. While Luma Sleep is a newer company, they are run by an industry professional with decades of reputable industry experience.

They are also a site member and offer mattresses using higher quality materials like the others you are considering. You may send back your mattress within 60 days, less shipping charges. With the hybrid mattress, you may swap out a layer within 60 days for only shipping charges.

That should be easily achievable with a latex-coil mattress.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank You! Exactly the information I needed.

You’re awesome!!

Hi BUNNY,

I’m glad the information was useful. Good luck in your search!

Phoenix