Latex questions

Well, it took me longer than I thought to come up with an update, but I’m back. :wink:

It took me a lot of trial and error to get the right fit. At first it felt comfy, but after a couple weeks it was less so. I think that was probably due to the mattress cover getting broken in. At that point, I had to start experimenting. I tried various configurations of the v-zone layer, including getting some new sections from Flobeds, but nothing was right Finally, I reversed the configuration of the two bottom layers. I had started with super firm on the bottom and extra firm above that. Putting the super firm on top of the extra firm got me closer, but I still wasn’t there yet. After consultation with Dewey at Flobeds, it seemed that two super firms was the way to go, so I did have to buy an extra layer at the reduced rate per Flobeds’ comfort policy. However Dewey was kind enough to waive the super firm surcharge for that layer, so that helped out.

Funnily enough, two super firms under the v-zone had been Dewey’s recommendation when we ordered the bed, but so many of the firmer latex beds I had laid on in stores felt uncomfortable to me, so I was nervous and we backed off to super firm/extra firm. Let that be a lesson, those guys know what they are talking about! I would also recommend talking to them before ordering rather than relying solely on the online configurator. What Dewey recommended, even with the alteration I asked for, was not what the online configurator suggested for either my husband or I.

I also had to do more experimenting with the v-zone. At first, I felt like the lumbar zone being different than the hip wasn’t working for me, because I seemed to not always get myself in the right position and would sometimes wake up with lower back pain feeling like my body was twisted differently than usual. So for a while, I had more of a three zone configuration since some of the sections were the same firmness. Once I worked up to the two super firm base layers and extra firm under my hip and lumbar, I decided that I needed to try more support on the lumbar again, so I put a super firm in, and this time, it seems to have worked. I rarely feel like I am out of alignment with the zones anymore.

So, once I was settled with the two super firms, with the v-zone configured as soft/soft/superfirm/extrafirm/firm/medium from head to toe (i think. I can’t quite remember the exact head and foot areas at this point, but I am sure of the lumbar and hip), I was finally in a pretty good place and stayed that way for a couple months. That was back at the end of March/beginning of April when I reached that point.

I did make one other change relatively recently. As the weather started warming up, I felt like the thin waterproof Luna mattress protector might be making me too sweaty. But I didn’t seem to have much luck with anything resembling a classic mattress pad, because I tried the sleep number mattress pad and the sleep number in balance comfort layer (both of which have that typical quilting) on top at various points, and felt that it made the surface too firm and not conforming enough. But I wasn’t willing to give up a waterproof protector. So I wound up buying a Sleep & Beyond wool mattress pad from Amazon. It’s a thinner one, like an inch thick, rather than the thicker one they also make, because I didn’t really want more height on the bed. It goes on top of the Luna mattress protector, and it did help with temperature regulation. It also made the bed even more comfortable, which surprised me a little! It feels like it both increases secondary support under the lumbar area and provides added cushioning on the shoulder. I am loving the bed even more with that.

While it isn’t cheap, the wool pad is a lot less expensive than the mattress, so at least I won’t feel too bad if it gets stained.

This is the pad: https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Beyond-80-Inch-Washable-Mattress/dp/B007DRIA2I/(Which I see is now cheaper than when I ordered it on July 6th. Curse you, Amazon! shakes fist I wish they still had the after-purchase price guarantee.)

So that’s the story! Although I may have a sequel brewing with pillows. I’ve been using the twice shredded talalay latex pillow that came with the bed, and it’s pretty comfy, but I don’t always feel like I get the best neck support, because the latex seems to get pushed away from the front edge of the pillow, making it flatter. So I might be making some more forays in that area.

Thanks once again for all the great advice you give here. You helped give me the courage to order one of these latex beds online. I am quite happy with Flobeds. I haven’t slept on Dunlop or a non-zoned mattress, so I can’t compare for sure, but I do feel like the v-zone really added something for me, and the Talalay is very nice. Dewey and the others at Flobeds were all very helpful, as well.

Hi tamaracks,

Thanks for taking the time to come back after a few months and share such a detailed and informative update … I appreciate it.

It seems that it really did take some trial and error to get there but it’s great to see that you ended up with a configuration (and mattress protector) that is working out so well for you.

I also completely agree with you that online configurators aren’t nearly as reliable as a source of guidance as a more detailed phone conversation which is why I so often stress the importance of a phone call with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer or retailer with any online mattress purchase.

It sounds like now you can just enjoy sleeping on your mattress instead of making changes to it :slight_smile:

There is more information about choosing a pillow in the pillow topic here that may be helpful.

Phoenix