Latex replacement help needed - warranty or new brand

Hi,

I have a Sealy Latex mattress that I bought in 2008. I started to show indentations. So, I am wondering if I can get it replaces for a new Sealy.
However, at the same time, I might want to look a at a new brand altogether. The Sealy is a rather thick and heavy mattress. I know this is to be expected with Latex. However, I wonder if a slightly thinner one could help a bit.

Does anyone know who manufactures the Room&Board Latex mattresses?

What other brands should I look at?

Hi coast,

You would need to contact the store you bought it from (or Sealy if they are out of business) to have an inspector come and measure the impressions to see if they are deep enough to qualify for a warranty claim. There will normally be a charge for the inspection. Hopefully your impressions will be deeper than the warranty exclusions but this is often not the case.

Unfortunately The Sealy so called “latex mattresses” tend to use fairly thick layers of polyfoam over the latex (much more than the guideline I would normally suggest of "about an inch or so) which will soften and impress faster than latex (the top layers of a mattress will soften and break down faster than the deeper layers) and it’s not uncommon or their latex mattresses to develop soft spots, sags, and impressions after 3 - 5 years.

A thinner mattress would be lighter but it may not be a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). A latex/polyfoam hybrid with several inches of latex in the comfort layers over a polyfoam support core would also be lighter but again it may not be as good a match for you in terms of PPP. There is more about latex hybrids vs all latex mattresses in post #2 here.

Either way though … if you do decide to replace your mattress I would start with the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones. I would also make sure that you know the specifics of all the materials in any mattress you are considering so you can make sure that it doesn’t have any weak links in the design like the Sealy latex mattresses (they are now the Stearns & Foster “luxury latex” line) and so you can make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses.

The Roomandboard mattresses are made by Restwell.

I don’t recommend specific brands because the name of the manufacturer isn’t nearly as important as what is inside the mattress you are considering (see post #5 here). In general though … I would avoid the major brands who tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than their smaller regional and local competitors and focus on manufacturers and retailers that are completely transparent and will disclose the quality of the materials inside their mattresses.

If you follow the steps in the tutorial post one by one you will have the best possible chance of success.

If you do decide to replace your mattress … once you reach step 3 if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thank you very much for your reply.

The indention in our current mattress is about 1 3/4". I think the Sealy warranty is using 1 1/2" as there benchmark… Since it is a firmer mattress it is very noticeable. They might also give us a hard time as we did not use their spring box, rather a platform bed with slats.
Although, I can’t see what issue it would cause on top. Our store is out of business, the chain still exist (Bedding Experts). However, they don’t carry anymore Latex mattresses. So, we would have to go through the factory.

Tried the Room&Board -Restwell: felt like a below average mattress to me.

One mattress that we tried out today is a SavvyRest. They have a lot of options to customize. I think this is about the only choice in my area (Chicago land) that is not the usual big brands.

Hi coast,

Whether a Roomandboard mattress is “below average” or “above average” would depend on whether you are referring to PPP (which is subjective and unique to each person) or the quality/durability of the materials in their mattresses. Some of their mattresses are certainly “above average” in terms of the quality of their materials compared to most mainstream brands even though they may still not be a good match for you in terms of PPP.

Savvy Rest certainly uses high quality materials (Dunlop and Talalay latex) in their mattresses and there are no weak links in any of them. As you mentioned component mattresses also provide good options to customize a mattress both before and after a purchase but they are also in a higher budget range than other mattresses that use the same type and/or quality materials or that offer the same or similar benefits and options so I would make some careful value comparisons.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Chicago area are listed in posts #2 and #4 here. No matter what you end up purchasing, I would make My Green Mattress / Quality Sleep one of my priorities if I was in the area.

Phoenix

Hi,

Are you referring to some of the online brands as the alternative to Savvy Rest?

Also, is anyone familiar with Magniflex? I came across it in a local store. It felt pretty good.

Hi coast,

Most of the manufacturers that make mattresses that are very similar to the Savvy Rest mattresses sell online yes but there are also local options in some areas of the country depending on where you live (although I don’t know of any in the Chicago area). Some of the My Green Mattress latex mattresses use the same or similar materials and are two sided but they aren’t component mattresses with zip covers.

You can read a little more about Magniflex in post #6 here and post #2 here and post #3 here and a forum search on Magniflex (you can just click the link) will bring up more information and feedback about them as well. I would make sure that you confirm the quality/density of all the layers (see this article) so you can confirm there are no weak links in any of their mattresses you are looking at if you are considering them.

Phoenix

All things considered I think we are going with a Latex mattress where we can choose the layers. From a budget perspective it seems that Sleep EZ might be the best choice?

Hi coast,

As you probably know I think very highly of SleepEz and they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, and service. They also have options that are very similar to the Savvy Rest mattresses and have a very good exchange and return policy.

Which manufacturer or mattress is “best for you” depends on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you and you have many good options but SleepEz would certainly make a great choice and you will find that they are also very knowledgeable and helpful and will give you good guidance when you talk with them on the phone.

Phoenix