Latex Systems Co - Thailand

I erceived a great quote for a 9" latex bed. 3’ of natural talalay on top with 6" of dunlop as a base from Rocky Mountain Mattress. Their dunlop source is Latex Systems in Thailand. Has anyone heard anything about their quality. Thanks.

Hi gioucas,

Latex Systems Co is a Dunlop manufacturer in Thailand that produces high quality 100% natural Dunlop latex. It is Eco Institut and LGA certified for quality and durability. You can see an example of the Eco Institute test results here (this is from the BellaSera site).

I would put them in the “high quality” group of latex manufacturers along with companies like Latex Green, CoCo Latex, and Latexco.

I hope your quote includes the extra 5% discount you receive for being a member of this site :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix, Thanks. I am basically down to 2 companies based on my specs. Rocky Mountain & Sleep EZ. The Sleep EZ special is a great deal also and my only concern is the cotton/rayon cover made from bamboo. I understand there are chemicals used in this process. Should I be looking for the cotton quilted to the wool option. Also, is there a big difference between the 9" & 8" mattress based on a 6" dunlop core and a 2 or 3" natural talalay top?

Hi Gloucas,

You are down to choices between “good and good” which means that the only way to choose would be based on your own personal preferences and the parts of your “value equation” that are most important to you. There is really no “better or worse” here.

I do understand though the “good difficulty” of making final choices based on fine details. :slight_smile:

Rayon is a type of cellulosic fiber like bamboo and many others and is really an “artificial” fiber which is sort of half way in between natural and synthetic. There are chemicals used in the production of the fiber to make it suitable for making a fabric and it has good qualities of strength and breathability and a smooth hand feel. There are many people who prefer it and there are many who prefer a more natural or organic fabric. Again there is no right or wrong here.

Some people prefer an unquilted cover which puts them closer to the latex and has less effect how the latex compresses and some people prefer the wool quilting because of the breathability and temperature regulation of the wool. Wool is also used as a fire retardent and without it then a viscose (like rayon)/silica fire retardant (or other types of fire retardant) needs to be used. It’s all part of the tradeoffs involved in different designs.

There is a difference between a 2" and a 3" comfort layer and layer thickness has a significant effect on the performance and feel of a mattress as a whole. A thinner layer will put you closer to the support layers which means that what you feel will include the characteristics of the support layers more than if there was a 3" comfort layer. This is also not “good or bad” … just a difference in design that is one part of many factors that leads to the performance and feel of a mattress and different combinations of pressure relief and support. Layer thickness, layer firmness/softness (in both the comfort and support layers) and many other factors including the ticking/quilting all play a role in how all the layers of a mattress interact with each person and their unique height/weight/body shape and sleeping positions.

There’s lots more information about layer thickness and how it affects different sleeping positions and body weight/shapes and sleeping styles in the style preferences and statistics overview here and in the putting the layers together overview here (and more in the sub menu articles in each section).

This type of “in depth analysis” though runs the risk of getting into levels of analysis and “theory” that may be meaningless for you without a reference point of actually testing mattresses with similar construction and I would base your decision on what you personally feel best about and which one seems to “fit” your needs and preferences best based on your conversations with each and on your own unique “value equation”.

Phoenix