Latex Topper Disappointment

Hey All!

Please explain to me why a new 100% Dunlop 3" latex topper would have puckering and signs of sagging and lessened relief of pressure points after less than 2 months. I don’t know what it’s supposed to do over time. I don’t know if this is a character trait of latex.

I have purchased a new mattress base in an attempt to stop this surface sagging and puckering which started within 20 days of purchase. After another month on the new mattress I get up, extremely frustrated because I have been tossing all night, and it’s only 2am. I strip the bed and see that the puckering and loss of support has spread from the initial areas to the new areas (I shifted the topper after getting the new mattress) Now I am in a bad position. I cannot get an exchange…I basically got up that night and sent an email and many pics depicting the degradation of the topper to the company, and basically was informed that I could pack it up, call them to send UPS to come get it and I would be issued a refund, an exchange will not be offered–I don’t blame them. However, now I am put in the position of–do I keep it? Or do I pack it up and go get another? No where can I find what signs of a bad topper are. No where am i seeing care and maintenance. I don’t know if using a mattress pad is making it worse, or if its because of my size and it’s too soft. I don’t know if this puckering is just superficial and doesn’t effect the actual performance much. I can’t find anything past “I love my topper!’ I need to know what I am doing wrong, if anything. Is there something I need to understand about appearance–other than the slight imperfections–I am talking about running my hands over the top and feeling like there is nothing between the top skin and the foam underneath. It’s got the appearance of a 60 year old’s face in the areas I sleep in and a 15 year old’s in areas I don’t. Is this normal? Is putting a regular mattress pad that is a super snug fit because a queen size doesn’t seem to accommodate a queen 3” latex topper going to effect the topper? If I knew what was going on then I would know if I could keep the topper, or return it, or ask for an exchange or purchase a better or more appropriate one later. I am willing to answer any questions and have access to pics to use as illistration.

do you have a link to the topper you ordered ?

Hi rellwood,

I would probably need to see it to have any real sense of whether what you are describing would be normal or unusual. New latex even can have some faults and imperfections but there would also be a point where they would be unusual or could affect performance.

All materials will soften to different degrees and nothing (even latex) stays perfectly flat so this too would be a matter of degree, the softness of the latex, your weight, and other factors. Latex will also follow any sags or soft spots in the mattress you put it on (even if they are not obvious when you are off the mattress) so this could be a factor as well.

Where did you buy it?

What type of latex is in your topper (blended or 100% natural)?

Have you talked to the place you purchased from about whether this is normal? If they are a better retailer or manufacturer … they will tell you whether what you are experiencing is “normal” or “unusual” for what you purchased.

This would depend (at least to me) on how you felt about the feel and performance of the latex and on what they said about how “normal” your experiences are. These are questions that really only you can decide … but at least you are fortunate that they accept returns without question … many don’t unless there are clear defects in the product.

There really is no care or maintenance to a latex topper other than making sure it has a good cover to protect it from damage and exposure to ultraviolet, ozone, solvents, and fats and oils that can degrade it prematurely and flipping it once in a while…in some cases the cover can be removed and cleaned and of course your mattress protector will also protect it and can be cleaned as well.

A mattress pad will certainly affect the feel and performance of the foam layers below it to different degrees depending on the type and materials of the mattress pad. Softer foam (including latex) will also be more subject to softening and breakdown than firmer materials and body weight will also play a significant role in this.

I think a picture would be helpful and if the retailer or manufacturer you bought it from is a better one … then their opinions would also be the “best” source of information about whether what you are experiencing is normal for the materials they sell.

Phoenix