Latex topper on a spring mattress

Thank you for all the information on this site. We have been searching for a mattress to replace our old and worn-out innerspring mattress. We have been to several local mattress specialty stores. We have found several models that seem comfortable in the store, but are concerned that they will be less so when sleeping all night. Also, the in-store specs on these are often not complete or specific, another cause for uncertainty about long-term comfort and durability.
I am 5’ 9" 160 lbs; shoulder-to-ribs differential 1 1/2", lumbar-to-butt 1 3/8". My wife is 5’ 2" 125 lbs; hip-to-waist 2 1/2", lumbar-to-butt 1 3/4".

We are both back and side sleepers. We are in our mid-60s and each have the mundane aches and pains that accumulate with age and make all-night comfort a challenge. I have pressure point issues with my shoulders and knees. My wife sleeps with a pillow under her knees to ease some lower back discomfort.
The various support cores we have encountered, whether pocket coils, knotted coils, HD foam, or latex don’t seem to make an appreciable difference. We do seem to find the plush or pillow top mattresses more comfortable in the store, but they usually have multiple layers of PU foam on top, which I suspect may not hold up. I am not convinced that any of the models on offer are the magic bullet.

We are considering getting a firm classic innerspring and adding a latex topper of the proper thickness and softness to get the pressure relief we need. Does this sound like a credible approach? If so, what might be a likely thickness and ILD based on our body builds/issues. Also, since some trial and error may be
necessary, is there some means to swap out or add layers if the comfort isn’t quite achieved at first?
Thank you for your input.

Hi Kentond60! Putting a latex topper on top of a classic firm innerspring would be a very credible approach to a “DIY” mattress. Based on the information you’ve provided, I would absolutely recommend a 3" soft Talalay topper, which will provide outstanding pressure relief on your hips, shoulders, and lower back. You’ll still get plenty of support and proper alignment from the firm innerspring but you’ll also get plenty of contour and pressure relief from the Talalay topper.

Is there a provision for exchanging if it turns out the comfort is not as we projected?

Yes you definitely can! You can exchange one item per 12 month period for a flat-rate $45 fee. We will ship your replacement layer first, and we will ship it with extra plastic that you can use to package your current layer, and we will ship it with a pre-paid Fed Ex return label. I recommend using the layer exchange boxes to ship your exchanged layer(s) back. Also, if you will please call us when you are ready to ship your layers back we will schedule a free Fed Ex pick up for you.