Latex topper over tufted mattress to create "flatter" feel

Long time mattress head here, and enjoyer of this forum. I have slept on different latex mattresses for the past 15 years or so.

I currently own and am mostly happy with this latex/cotton/spring hybrid mattress from Sferra. As you can see, the top has a fairly pronounced tufted surface.

My wife and I like it very much, but I am having one issue with it that’s really affecting my sleep. I am a side/stomach sleeper, and I sometimes like to sleep with my face directly on the mattress (i.e., no pillow under my cheek). I am finding that while I like the tufted top of the mattress on my body just fine, I don’t like it for my head/face.

I was thinking of adding a latex topper (2 inches, medium density) on top in the hopes of creating a “flatter” feel, but I really don’t know whether that would work. And I guess by work, what I mean is that it would feel normal and not awkward because of the tufts underneath.

Anyone have insight or experience with this sort of thing?

Thank you!

Hi tbmh,

Perhaps you can do one of a few things. You could get a nice soft coverlet and use it on the head of the bed rather than the foot of the bed to mask the tufts.

Create your own coverlet. Buy a short roll of cotton or wool batting the width of a pillow and have your dry cleaner’s seamstress create a nice cover for it using the same organic cotton cover used on a topper or mattress. You might even be able to contact Sferra, as they make bedding as well as mattresses. They may have the identical material to match your mattress. Just place it horizontally across the head of your mattress under the sheets. If it is 1/2 to 1" it would be barely noticeable when the sheets are on and it will mask the tufts in your face/head while maintaining a very breathable surface for your face.

Hope this helps.

Norm