Latex Topper Q's

Hello,
I am interested in your mattress toppers. I am doing a DIY , and have 8in bolsa coils already. What would you suggest for someone who likes a little firm. some kind of feel to the Serta iseries hybrid firm.

A 220lb 6"3 side/stomach sleeper
B 130 5"4 back sleeper

I am torn between doing a 2/2 combo or a 3". Open to both type of latex, not sure which one would be better for us. Thanks!

Hi jtek49 and welcome to the forums and thanks for the inquiry! Based on the information you’ve provided, I would normally recommend 3" of medium Talalay for your side and 3" of soft Talalay for your partner’s side. Two 2" layers is probably more money than you need to spend, and might make the mattress too soft (remember the farther away you get from the springs the softer it’s going to feel, even if your top layer is extra firm). Since we normally don’t recommend the Bolsa coils for folks over about 240 pounds, I feel like 4" of latex over the coils might make the mattress too soft and detract from the back support that the coils offer.

Oh, just some extra info on the differences between Talalay and Dunlop - There is a noticeable difference between Talalay and Dunlop, and it’s not really that Talalay is softer than Dunlop. Most people and companies say Talalay is softer just because that’s an easier way to explain it. You can actually have a soft Dunlop layer that’s softer or firmer than a soft Talalay and a medium Talalay that’s softer or firmer than a medium Dunlop, etc. The real difference comes down to how they react when being compressed. Talalay is bouncier and springier and is generally better at contour and pressure relief on your hips and shoulders. Dunlop is denser and firmer and is generally better at support and maintaining proper spinal alignment so our most common configuration is Talalay for the top layer and Dunlop for the bottom 2 layers. We will recommend Talalay for two or more layers for customers that have things like fibromyalgia, shingles, chronic hip pain, chronic shoulder pain, or anything where they’re sensitive to pressure, or for customers that just prefer a bouncier / springier feel. Outside of those circumstances, a combination of Talalay and Dunlop offers the best chance to be successful for the average person. Again, the best way I can summarize the differences would be to say that Talalay is better at pressure relief on your hips and shoulders and Dunlop is better at maintaining proper spinal alignment and avoiding back pain. However, Talalay can also be helpful in avoiding back pain because it provides more of what we call secondary support. Secondary support fills in the gaps between your body and the mattress. For side sleepers, this is normally the area between a person’s ribs and waist. For back sleepers, this is normally the area between the small of your back and the mattress. If these parts or your body aren’t being held up by the mattress, your muscles will work all night to hold those parts of your body up, which can lead to back pain. Aside from that, women tend to be curvier, especially around their hips, and having a top layer of Talalay can help avoid hip pain and keep the mattress from pushing their hips up, which can also lead to back pain. As such, most of our customers definitely benefit from having one layer of Talalay on top, and Dunlop for the rest of the mattress, but it’s completely up to you what you would like to order.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for these very detailed reply’s!

I was trying to explain this to my wife, who said she doesnt want a soft topper. She wants something really firm she is saying now, she is the smaller one of us. Do you think we could get away with a king Medium 3" Tallalay? or will it be like a rock? Thanks!

The medium Talalay will definitely not feel like a rock, and it might even still be too soft for your partner, depending on how she defines “really firm.” The truth is, if the coils aren’t firm enough for her preferences, even an extra firm Dunlop layer wouldn’t make up for that (although it’d still be firmer than a medium Talalay). Anyway, there’s no reason to think a medium layer would be a bad choice, it’s just a matter of whether or not it will match her specific needs and preferences.

So we got the materials today, and yes indeed it was wayyyyy to soft for her liking. So I am hoping if there is anyway without scraping the coils to make it firmer. (although it seems it may not, the coils are really soft). She wants a extra firm dunlop topper now.

It is amazing to me how many people said these coils are the least firm of the ones sold, but are still quite firm. She totally disagrees and she is 130lb

Thanks for your help!

Sure thing, and thanks for the update! I’ll keep my fingers crossed!