Latex topper question

A year and a half ago, I added a comfort layer to my queen size Roma mattress, which I use with the firm side up. The topper I got was a 3" blended talalay from mattresstopper.com (Brooklyn Bedding) with a medium density of 28 ILD. Lately, I’ve been feeling as though my bed is too plush and aggravating my back. I pulled off the topper and almost immediately appreciated the difference in my sleep and my back.

My question is this: Would there be any benefit to adding a new topper of similar density to the firm (36-40 ILD) side of my mattress, perhaps add more support and cush for the tush? I was considering the natural Dunlop topper from Sleepez in firm density. Would it just be redundant?

A firm dunlop topper will give you a very flat surface with very little give, especially since you won’t have the layer of cover between you and the latex. If that’s what you want, it might be a good way to go, but it might be better to try and describe how your existing set up not comfortable enough for you if you can. I think that will help some of the experts here steer you in the right direction.

If the mattress is just too thin without a topper, you could try laying the mattress on top of your existing topper, and see if that feels any better. I doubt that’s an ideal configuration, but it’s free and if it works it works.

Hi ChuckW. I looked at the Roma mattress and see that it has a medium plush side and a firm side. I am curious if you have tried the mattress on the medium side if you are needing a bit more cushion? If you are currently finding the firm side to be comfortable I would suggest just leaving it as is and not adding a topper.

Thank you all. Based on the replies, it looks as thought I should stay with just the Roma mattress (firm side up) and not add a firm topper. It is more comfortable than the prior configuration. The suggestion of putting the softer topper on the bottom is a good one and I wish I’d thought of trying it before disposing of the topper. It didn’t go completely to waste, though. Remnants of the latex were used to plump up the seats of a leather couch.

Yes give it a shot and see how it goes, and of course if there’s anything else we can do for you please just let us know!

I did end up getting a new topper after all. Considering the issues I was having with a medium density topper, I decided to go even firmer than the firm side of the Roma mattress. Ordered a 3" extra firm Dunlop topper from Sleepez, figuring that if it was too firm, I could always do some rearranging of the layers to make it a little softer. The extra firm topper is a definite improvement, even better than sleeping on the firm layer of the Roma mattress and I now wake up without a sore back.

That’s excellent news! I’m glad you were able to get the mattress adjusted to your needs & preferences and thank you for the update as well. If there’s anything else we can do please don’t hesitate to ask.