Latex Toppers Canada

Thanks, Phoenix.
I’ll try a few of those links.
I appreciate your time. This site is great.

R

My DIY latex bed never did happen. I suffered through 2 years with 1 latex topper, 1 foam topper and a 6 inch Jysk foam mattress.

My back couldn’t take it so after a year and a half I finally bought a 'box store spring mattress to give my back a break. This was not a good solution either of course and I should have just bought something decent at the beginning of all this.

Now I’m looking through Novosbed, Memoryfoamcomfort, Ikea and Foamshop offerings and trying not to just get fed up and buy something else from Jysk (which seem comfortable now but not too sure how long they’d hold up).

I’m tempted to get a decent foam slab (not like what I have now) and throw a good 5lb memory foam topper on it (perhaps with my latex topper just under the memory foam).

Anyway I’m still researching this great site and learning lots . Thanks again.

Hi ron bruce,

Welcome back … it’s been a while :slight_smile:

The information in post #4 here should help you to assess the quality and durability of the materials and components in a mattress and the mattress “as a whole”.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses and there is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP in post #2 here that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for once you actually sleep on your mattress.

Novosbed, Memoryfoamcomfort, and some of the Ikea mattresses would make good quality/value choices that would certainly be worth considering but I’m not familiar with the specifics of the materials in the Jysk mattresses.

If the “foamshop” you are considering is Foam by Mail (FBM) then I would read this post and this post and this topic (about their polyfoam and sources) and this post (presumably from a past employee) before buying anything or considering them as a reliable supplier.

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

If you decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) as a reference point and try and “match” them as closely as possible or use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

yes it has been awhile. You’ve got so much info here and I do appreciate your time and help.

That was the foam place from where I bought my 2 toppers and I’m not sure the foam grading was accurate :blush: and I knew from my research here that I was taking a big chance and bought from them anyway thinking I’d save some dollars. Should have worried more about my back then my dollars.

Recently I gave away the spring mattress and the one supposed “HR” foam topper and am struggling along with only the latex topper (quality unknown really at this point though it makes my shoulders fall asleep when I sleep on my side if I’m directly on it so how can that be ‘soft’.) bent in half with the J slab of foam on top. Some nights I wake up and lie on the living room rug to give my back a break from it all… :S I mainly sleep on my side though on my back as well and am optimistically around 180 lbs or so.

I"m thinking an actual HD foam slab from MFC would be the way to go with a 5 lb memory foam topper but, at this point, I am still reading about it all. I really don’t want to sink in to a ‘hot’ memory foam topper but have never tried a memory foam topper (and MFC’s topper supposedly sleeps cool). Friends have memory foam and rave about them (guess I’ll have to try out their bed).

A Fliptopbed may be the ticket too though I feel I’ve got the latex component already.

When I was young I slept on a slab of foam and all was well so I guess I just wanted to find that same comfort again. I realize I’m a few years older and my back may not be so easy to please at this point. :blink:

Paralysis by analysis? You got it… I mean I’ve got it.

Hi ron bruce,

The only additional guidance I would suggest outside of the links in my last reply is that when you can’t test a mattress or an individual layer or component in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses or toppers and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattresses or toppers to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses or toppers that they are familiar with than anyone else.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Now looking on Amazon Canada at the DreamFoam 8" memory foam bed but it really doesn’t mention the specifics on the foams in the bed. Almost got sucked in by a Lucid but have read about them on this site. Thanks.

Any thoughts on this DreamFoam mattress? Does this bed correspond to the DreamFoam US site as a memory foam bed though no 8" ones on there? I was hoping you might know.

Thanks again, Phoenix.

Hi ron bruce,

The Dreamfoam site itself doesn’t list all the mattresses they sell but the 8" memory foam mattress on the Amazon Canada site would be the same as the 8" memory foam mattress that they sell on the Amazon US site.

The Amazon descriptions don’t list the foam densities and I don’t know what they are but if you give them a call to find out and list them on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the mattress.

Phoenix

Never did call DreamFoam though I’ve now got several quotes from foam suppliers to try and build something similar to a Tuft &N type mattress (they don’t ship to Canada at this point). If I need to I will add a memory foam topper if it’s too hard and, of course, I’ll use my latex topper if it makes sense.

Looking at 3"- 2.8 lb HR comfort (medium firmness)
7"- 2 lb HD (firm) support.

Still not sure if 10 inches is too thick a mattress but several friends tell me better to be that then too thin like what I’d done in the past. Hard to build really when you are not too sure what it will feel like and, of course, no telling if this 3 inch comfort will feel like a true T&N (which I’ve never been on either… hmm).

As always thanks for this great forum which has so much info. Much appreciated.

Hi ron bruce,

Hopefully the layers you choose will work well for you but they won’t be similar to the Tuft & Needle mattress because they don’t use HR polyfoam in their mattress. You can read a little more about the high performance foam they use in their comfort layer in posts #2 and #6 here.

You won’t be able to duplicate the Tuft & Needle anyway because you wouldn’t be able to purchase the foams they use in their mattress but all that will really matter is whether the combination of layers you purchase is a good match for you in terms of PPP regardless of how it compares to Tuft & Needle.

Good luck in your DIY efforts and I’m looking forward to finding out how your design works out for you.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. You make a lot of sense.
Back to the drawing board for now.

PS I’ll be heading to Vancouver this weekend (August 1st) so will try to get to a few places on your list so thanks. I’ll let you know if I find something that works for me.

Tested out mattresses at Ikea and bought the firm Morgedal for now. Really seems to relieve my back somewhat (though not the perfect solution) and this suited my budget for now.

I’ll keep following this great site. Thanks for all your help, Phoenix.

Edit: I was frustrated because most places were showrooms only and I couldn’t bring a mattress home with me which is what my back sorely needed (it was sore indeed). I’d like to get to Majestic Sit and Sleep at some point though delivery would probably be a bit high to the Okanagan but my back is worth it, right?

Edit: May need to get an Aerus topper from MFC as this mattress makes my arms fall asleep. So annoying… argh.

Hi ron bruce,

Congratulations on your new mattress and it’s good to hear that it helps your back :slight_smile:

Some of the better options in the Okanagan area that may also be worth considering are listed in post #4 here. I would agree that your back is “worth” a suitable mattress yes!

Phoenix

It’s been almost a full year of pins and needles in my shoulders (and hips sometimes). The bed I bought is just too firm and too warm too. :frowning:

My solution, not a good one, has been to use the expensive toppers I bought (usually the HR one as the latex one made the pins and needles much worse) but even with the HR foam one I wake up constantly and have to shift around. It doesn’t help that I have had problems with my back and hips either (a bit of arthritis and sacroiliac problems as well). I find myself constantly exhausted.

What’s my next step? I remember reading about that ‘cool’ type of memory foam which I’d have to find up here in the frozen north, i.e. Canada (not really so frozen especially in the heat of summer right now). Would that help? Should I just buy, yet again, a new mattress? Should I just call it a day and throw a futon on the ground? :unsure:

Hi ron bruce,

It sounds like the toppers you’ve tried are too firm and that you need something softer … regardless of the type of material that you prefer.

Latex and memory foam are very different materials with very different properties but the choice between them is more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse” choice. There is more about some of the differences between memory foam and latex in post #2 here. Some people tend to prefer the faster response and more resilient and “on the mattress” feel of latex and some prefer the slower response and more “in the mattress” feel of memory foam but the best way to know which type of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer in general terms would be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience with each material in a range of different firmness levels.

I’m guessing that the “cool type” memory foam you are referring to are the many different gel memory foam materials that are available on the market. If that’s the case … the “hand feel” of most gel memory foams will be noticeably cooler than regular memory foam and they can provide some cooling benefits when you first go to sleep at night but temperatures will tend to equalize over time at which point the insulating properties of the memory foam will become dominant. The amount and type of gel in the foam can affect whether the temperature benefits will last longer or shorter and the cell structure and amount of airflow through foam will also play a very significant role in reducing heat buildup in the material but in general terms … gel memory foam can sleep a little cooler when you are first going to sleep at night but in most cases the benefits of the gel tend to be temporary and don’t normally last over the course of the night.

If the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know for certain whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the mattress/topper combination. If you can’t test the combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing an online topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

Outside of any local options that may be available to you … some of the better online options I’m aware of that ship mattresses and/or toppers across Canada are also listed in post #21 here.

A good exchange/return policy can reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so if you aren’t certain whether a topper will work well for you I would always make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for because again … the the only way to know for certain whether a mattress/topper combination will be a good “match” for you will be based on your own careful testing on the combination or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

Phoenix

Thanks again for the help, Phoenix. I do seem to like the latex feel better than the sinking memory foam feel.

I must check some more toppers out.

:slight_smile:

Hi ron bruce,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and any additional updates you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

Okay 2019 now and back to this very informative site searching for a better solution for me. Maybe this time I’ll pay attention and not be so cheap because … I’m tired.

Hi ron bruce,

Welcome back to the forum. I’m sorry that the topper solution has not worked out for you :(.

Are you still looking for toppers or are you considering a new mattress? Any other updates? Either way now that you are back at square 1 I’d suggest that you revisit the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones which would include the major brands or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality of the materials inside it. Keep in mind that the weak link of a mattress is almost always in the use of low-quality materials in the comfort layers and if you don’t know the specifics of what is inside your mattress you’d have no way to identify any weak links in the mattress or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

You may want to talk to some of our trusted members to help you with specific recommendations, many ship to Canada, and specifically MFC and Restmore Bedding.

Hope you are well.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. I have been going through the tutuorials and post yet again as you’ve suggested so hope to do better this time. Now I’ve Tuft and N (or maybe another brand) mattresses on my radar. Hmm.

Hi ron bruce,

I am glad to see you are working the process, and that you decided to do some things differently this time around :).

You can perform a forum search on Tuft & Needle here, and there is a bit more about them in the simplified choice thread here.

I look forward to your progress when you have a chance.
Phoenix