Latex vs Spring Mattress Feel

Hi,

Could anyone please describe the feel of a latex mattress vs a spring mattress? We have slept on a spring mattress (medium to medium firm) all our lives and have tried memory foam but it hasn’t worked out - constantly get back aches every morning, so now thinking about trying a latex mattress. *Note we never had any problems with a spring mattress (no back aches), and just wanted to give other mattresses a try.

I haven’t had any luck finding a latex mattress in the area and was wondering if latex has more of a spring mattress feel to it? Or is it more like memory foam, in which case I think we will have to just get another spring mattress.

I am 5’5 @ 145 and my wife is about the same. We are considering the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss and are aware of the exchange feature they have, however wanted to get others experiences/description of how a latex mattress compares/feels versus a spring one.

Thanks for the help!

Personally, i think a latex mattrress feels different than innerspring and memory foam. You dont sleep “in” the mattress as you do with memory foam, more “on top of it.” This is also how an innerspring generally feels, but latex has a bouncy like feel to it. Imagine sleeping on a big piece of jello lol. I do think that latex has a more supportive feel than memory foam (just my opinion). If you post where you live Phoenix may be able to locate some retailers in your area that carry latex. Also if you go to pure latex bliss website they have a store locator which i was able to use to locate and test out some of their latex mattresses to get an idea of firmeness preferences and overall feel of latex . This was valuable in helping me decide which option was best for me. Another option may be to consider an innerspring with a latex comfort layer on the top. This may be easier to find in your area and gives you the benifits of a familiar innerspring, but with the durability and comfort of a latex layer. Also dont forget to read all the information on the main website which i have found very helpful in making a decision. There is also a list of manufacturers that are members of the site under the “The Underground” tab on the website. One of these manufacturers may be in your area, or at least may be a good place to start researching pricing and options that may best suite you. I have called many of these places for info and they where always happy to help with any questions and they represent many of the better “value” options in the country.

Hi ljt,

“Feel” is very subjective and it’s much more effective to use your own testing and experience to see which one you prefer because like anything subjective or based on personal preference each person may have a different answer. I would keep in mind also that there are many types of innersprings and many versions of latex used in the support core of a mattress so there is no single “feel” in any category of mattresses. Much of the “feel” of a mattress also comes from the upper layers of a mattress not the support core underneath them.

Having said all that … there is more information about the differences between innersprings and latex in a support core in post #2 here but the biggest difference is that an innerspring is more “springy” or “bouncy” than a latex core and has a different response curve when pressure is applied to it.

Latex is a fast responding and highly resilient material and memory foam is a slow responding and very low resilience material. There is more about how they compare in post #2 here but once again your own personal testing is the best way to know which type of comfort layers you prefer. Fast response highly resilient materials (like springs, latex, or polyfoam) are more opposite to slow response materials (like memory foam) than they are similar regardless of what type of support core is underneath them (innerspring, polyfoam, or latex etc). Again … I would keep in mind that an innerspring can use any type of foam above the springs which is where much of the “feel” of a mattress comes from. The most common type of foam in most mainstream innerspring mattresses is polyfoam which is also a fast response material (although it’s not as resilient as latex) but in most cases is lower quality and less durable than latex. The comfort layers of a mattress above the support components are almost always the weak link of a mattress in terms of durability.

The Bamboo Bliss is a latex/polyfoam hybrid so compared to a mainstream “traditional” innerspring mattress that uses an innerspring with layers of polyfoam on top you would be comparing the “feel” of an innerspring with the “feel” of polyfoam in the support core (innersprings are more resilient than polyfoam) and the “feel” of latex vs the “feel” of polyfoam in the comfort layers (latex is more resilient and more contouring and pressure relieving than polyfoam) and in most mattresses what you “feel” when you first lie down is more the comfort layers than the support layers.

It would be a good idea to test some mattresses that use Talalay latex in the top few inches of the mattress with different firmness levels to get a sense of how Talalay latex feels to you compared to either Dunlop latex or polyfoam or memory foam which are the other main types of foam that are used in the top layers of a mattress.

Phoenix

PS: @ Everready073,

Thanks for your reply which you posted as I was writing this one and I think is “right on the money” as well :slight_smile:

In my experience latex and innerspring mattresses have a similar resilience or bounce to them, compared to HD foam or memory foam. However latex is much more supportive because of the tightness of the cells of the latex foam compared to the 1 inch diameter steel springs. To speak comparatively , if you can imagine a latex mattress that is made of millions of miniature springs, it gives you a support that is much more precise because every single part of your body is getting support compare this kind of support to 1 inch diameter innersprings placed side by side. The latex is molding and contouring precisely to your body, while the innerspring mattress is simply compressing were you apply pressure most with your body

In my opinion latex is by far the finest support sleeping system available today.

Another important factor is the disturbance you get from sleeping on metal.
You can read more about it here:

Why Your Metal Spring Mattress or Bed May be Dangerous
The vast majority of beds contain metal springs and/or frames. Unfortunately, these metal frames and metal springs can amplify and distort the earth’s natural magnetic field, which often leads to a poor sleep and a range of other symptons including - headaches, hyperactivity, depression and fatigue, eyestrain, muscle cramps and even nightmares.

Other biologicial problems associated with EMFs (electromagnetic fields) fall into two major categories: 1) the brain (behavioural abnormalities, learning disabilities, altered bio-cycles and stress responses), and 2) growing tissue (embryos, genetics and cancer). Research has shown that the body during sleep must be more alkaline, and that high EMFs lead to acidity. Acid chemistry in the body contributes to more disease.

The metal springs in all modern mattresses are coiled and these regularly arranged sets of coils can actually amplify the EMF in your bedroom and as well as distort the earth’s natural energy fields. There are two effects - one is having a magnetised set of coils in your bed and the other is to have the coils resonate to whatever equipment is radiating EMF around your room. The difference is that a magnetic field is generally due to a moving charge while an electric field is generally due to a charge with no net movement. Both impact on your body’s natural fields.

In my work as a Feng Shui and Earth Energy practitioner over the last 12 years I have encountered many problems with people’s sleeping positions and their beds. The worst is when a fuse box is located directly outside the bedroom near the bed. Then there is the location of a bed behind a wall where other EMF equipment is being used or when the bedroom is full of electrical gadgets. Your bed’s metal coils will respond to these fields and resonate with them thus setting up a disturbance pattern in your vital sleeping area. The length of a bed and coils is often in tune with the wavelength of radio frequency waves.

Metal coils resonate to EMF fields. They will create what’s called a ‘sympathetic’ resonate field and this field will impact on the body’s natural fields. With rooms of EM equipment and wiring in walls plus items like WiFi routers nearby, your body can be subject to a wide range of EM pressures at night.

The Chinese see all matter and phenomena as definable into Five Elements. They describe the makeup of life into Water, Wood, Fire, Earth and Metal. This is a cycle which repeats itself endlessly. Each element gives birth to the following one and continues the process of life. In the Five Element understanding too much of the next element can drain the one before. Your bedroom and bed comes under the element of Earth due to comforting, relaxing, supportive nature of sleep and the room. Bedclothes and mattresses made of natural materials also come under th element Earth. If your bed is run through with metal as inner springs or frames, then too much metal drains the Earth element and the function of your bed which is to relax, rest and support you. Metal in mattresses drains the body in Feng Shui terms and is not recommended by any practitioners.

Cheers!

@memory foam comfort:

1. I call BS - simply because I dislike claims like this

2. Your name is ‘memory foam comfort’. Ironically, there’s probably far more research into the harm memory foam chemicals have had on people (both those that make it by way of chemical exposure and users of it) than amplified emf from spring mattresses and em distortion fields. I.e. I’d suggest that memory foam is far more proven a hazard and if you’re this concerned about mankind stop selling it immediately.

3. It’s completely irrelevant to the question the original poster had

Everready073 - Did you buy a Latex Mattress? Sorry if I missed it…
LJT - The Latex mattress I have is the Aloe Alexis from Brooklyn Bedding. I do not think it feels like any spring bed I have had before but it will bounce…just ask my 3-year old! The support is excellent and I like that I don’t sink in or feel too hot. I can’t envision any scenario where I willfully change to anything else - I am a Latex believer after spending the last 100 days on it.
The only caveat is that it feels so different at first that you must give it 30 days or more to fully adjust to it. I really didn’t need more than one night because my prior bed was killing me (I hurt everyday).
Best Regards,
Jeff

Jefmoody- I have not purchased yet due to an upcoming move, but I have done a lot of testing the last few weeks and have came to a decision on the aloe alexis. Thanks to the forum forthe help. Your posts especially made me feel comfortable deciding on this bed. I will be sure to post feedback when I purchase. Was between the aloe alexis and omf memory foam but ultimately latex was what will work best for me in my circumstances.

Everready073 - So funny you say that…I was thinking to buy a memory foam from OMF when I first came to this site!
I hope you learn to love the latex as much as I do.

Hi Everready073,

Congratulations on your choice of a new mattress :slight_smile:

The Aloe Alexis is one of their most popular mattresses because of the two layers of latex (comfort and transition layers) and because it has more options to customize the mattress both before and after a purchase.

I hope you have the chance to let us know your feedback once you’ve pulled the trigger and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you so much for posting such thorough descriptions of how mattresses are made and what they’re made of. I’ve been testing mattresses for a new apt. and I am totally convinced by your info on the low-quality/high-markup of brand-name mattresses. I’d like to buy a latex mattress, but how do I translate my preferences in “feel” from the inner-coil/foam hybrid I liked into a custom latex mattress? Can you help?

I’m primarily a stomach sleeper, but I do roll onto my side during the night, about 140 pounds, and most often have neck and hip pain. (My pillow could also be an issue.) I tend to like the feel of what stores call “firm” but I’ve found that all-foam beds like the Tempurpedic feel WAY too firm for me sleeping on my stomach. I’ve looked up the retailers you list near me (I’m in MA) and put in my specs–they recommend a super-soft foam for my top half and a medium-soft foam for my lower half.

Would really appreciate some advice, since these are not mattresses I can test before buying (they’re custom-made). If the all-foam matress still feels too firm, can I add another comfort layer on top or would that interfere with the design? And is an all-latex bed going to have something like the luxury springy feeling I liked in that Serta i-Series?

Thanks again!! This site is awesome!

Hi anaja,

You’re very welcome … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

The short answer would be careful and objective testing on local mattresses that use the materials you are considering. You may also want to test latex / innerspring hybrids if they are available locally. This is by far the best way to find out your preferences in terms of firmness levels and the type of latex you prefer. Other than this you would be going by the “averages” of other people based on more detailed conversations with online retailers or manufacturers (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the tutorial post here has the basic information and the steps I would follow regardless of the type of mattress I was considering and also has links to testing guidelines that will help you test mattresses more carefully and objectively.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the perspectives and descriptions!