Layer between slatted platform and pocketed coil.

hello mattress wise souls,

Do I need to put a layer between my slatted (2.5 inch apart) platform bed and the pocketed coil foundation (Combi-Zone Pocket Coil by Leggett and Platt) I plan to use? Planning to put latex on top of the spring core as my transition/comfort layers - and wrap it all in a quilted cover.

Concerned that the small pocket springs could poke through the casing fabric in areas that are not supported between slats.

And if I should put a layer in between, what should that be and suggestions on where I could pick it up.

thanks
Kamath

Hey Kamath,

Welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your new DIY journey, Kamath! Yes; the addition of a base layer foam will add stability to the pocketed coil foundation. To help inspire you during your research process, you may enjoy these Phoenix articles, “Mattress Manufacturers: Do It Yourself Online” for tips on how to work with manufacturers on your DIY and “Mattress Durability Guidelines”, helpful for understanding how materials may perform based on a variety of variables.

You have come to the right place for those details but this question is better answered by one of our TMU trusted members, they are experts in this category and are happy to help guide you to what suits your project needs best. Take a look through TMU’s Trusted Member Directory and feel free use our “Ask an Expert” forum for direct questions to our expert members. And as an added bonus of your TMU membership: a consumer subscriber asking at least one question (and you have :wink: ) may receive a small discount when purchasing from participating trusted member manufacturer/ retailer. Good luck and interested to hear updates as you proceed.

Thanks,
Sensei