Laying on latex

In the market for a new queen size mattress. I’m on the smaller side for a man (5’3" 100lbs, low bmi) side-sleeper so I’m looking for something plush. I’ve discovered the rabbit hole of latex mattresses.

I’m currently sleeping on a 10 year old queen size ikea pocketed coil mattress with 1" of mystery latex and I’m realizing now that I’m laying on other mattresses, it’s too firm.

After navigating Ikea, a few department stores, I found a full latex mattress in a furniture store. It felt about medium in firmness while the label said it was 4 layers of 1", 2", 2" & 3" 19 ILD latex over a 4" 34 ILD base for a total of 15in for $5k. Needless to say it was a bit too firm too heavy, too thick and too expensive but I enjoyed the latex experience. Another interesting thing is that it did not have a zipper cover so moving it must be quite a task.

I finally got around to mkaing an appointment at my local organic mattress store where they only stock latex and latex hybrid mattresses. After spending an hour on most of their mattresses it came down to two that i liked.

Naturepedic Trilux ~$3400
Savvy Rest Serenity ~$2200 Dunlop / ~$2600 Talalay
All were setup as Soft - Medium - Firm for demo purposes.

What I found confusing was that the Naturepeidc was the best of the three as it had the most nesting feeling but the Naturepedic was dunlop whereas the Savvy Rest was Talalay. After what I’ve read about these two types of latex. I expected the softness to be reversed. Does the wool battling in the quilted top layer of the Naturepedic make that much of a difference?

If I’m going to purchase from this local store, they’re willing to work with me switching layers (talalay/dunlop and firmness) to get a perfect fit of the mattresses before ordering it.

I’m also looking at online vendors such as APM, Flexus and Latex Mattress factory which offer much lower prices, ~$1600.

Is it worth $800-$1000 to not have to guess in this case?

I think its worth $800-$1000 not to guess. If it was $5000 extra not to guess, maybe not. I guess its based on income and how much your time is worth to you.

You might try to replicate the Naturepedic and not even be close. A bird in the hand is worth 3 in the bush. The Naturepedic may very well be a bargain. Go with what you know feels good to you.

Which store did you go to that had Savvy Rest and Naturepedic?

John

Your organic bedroom in Doylestown from This list

They also had an obasan 9 that includes a wool topper that I enjoyed though it was out of my price range.

Hi Mug.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

It sounds like you’ve been doing your homework and getting some great information through in person testing. Awesome.

That’s the funny thing about people and bodies. We all have different support and comfort needs and preferences. If you think of Dunlop like pound cake, it’s more dense/heavy but it’s still easy to compress. Many people find Dunlop to be the better latex for their needs.

Beautiful. Do they also allow for layer exchanges down the line if something isn’t feeling right?

If it’s within your budget, absolutely. It’s kind of like you’re getting a DIY with all the tweaking they’re doing for you to make sure you get your needs met.

NikkiTMU

Hi mug and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear your ikea bed sounds like it’s not working out for you any longer. I enjoyed your description of the 1" mystery latex…even for a lower bmi that’s a very thin comfort layer, and you are likely bottoming out to the layers below.

Since any mattress you choose will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) - thanks for providing those- and your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), the good news is that with your lower BMI you have a lot more options in mattresses and can concentrate on the comfort level, as you should have good support with any decent, well made latex mattress. As you can see comparing the the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines, latex is one of the most durable materials you can have in a mattress.
Talalay and Dunlop have very different feels, with Talalay being ‘bouncirer’ (think of the difference between angel food cake and pound cake).

I looked at the Naturepedic Trilux, which has
an organic cotton & wool zippered cover, 3 3" layers of organic latex with configurable right & left side comfort levels from plush to extra firm, and they state they can ‘swap layers for free’ even years later. The Saavy Rest Serenity also has 3 3" layers of latex and configurable split layers with your choice of Talalay or Dunlop,

With comfort levels of soft solid to a firm/firm split. They have a 90 day layer exchange. Both of these are well built and allow for quite a bit of customization and layer exchange but as you say, they are quite high priced, but if you find that you prefer all-latex to a hybrid with coils, with the Trilux having much longer layer exchange policies, while the Serenity allows for use of either or both Talalay and Dunlop in their layers, giving you more freedom of customization. As @NikkiTMU said, if it’s in your price range and you find the right comfort level combination, you should be fine.

You mentioned APM being quite less expensive…I will say that they have a vast amount of experience in matching sleepers to their perfect match, and as their reputation rests on each sale they do try to go above and beyond to help you find the right combination for any consumers sleep profile, as do the other Trusted Members of the site like Luma Sleep EZ Flexus and Latex Mattress Factory among others, who carry all latex and latex hybrid mattresses. purchasing online can be a ‘guess’ but they all provide great quality, excellent customer service and generous exchange and return policies…providing them your Stats, PPP, mattress history and the ‘feel’ you are looking for they
do take a lot of the ‘guesswork’ out of online mattress shopping.

Whichever option you take, please feel free to drop in and let us know how you’d new mattress feels after you spend some time with it. Hoping for many years of restful sleep for you going forward!

~ Basilio