Leaning towards Latex and want to pull the trigger, but want one last opinion from the experts

Hi cfralick,

I understand the bed set is how hotels make beds feel better. That said, do you recommend a mattress topper?

Mattress toppers can add an additional layer of comfort to a mattress IF the mattress is in good condition and if it did not start developing sagging or soft spots (virtual impressions) which can result in the loss of comfort and support and the need to replace the mattress. Adding a latex topper with a temperature-neutral fabric will help with the temperature regulation you need and this solution is less expensive than replacing the entire mattress. Before choosing a toper as a solution to fix your issues Iā€™d consider the following:

Adding a topper to memory foam that can increase airflow and cooling though can also present some challenges though because it will reduce the amount of heat reaching the memory foam which can make the memory foam firmer ā€¦ especially if it is more temperature sensitive like the Tempurpedic. The topper guidelines in post #2 here and the other posts it links to can help you make the best possible topper choice. It also links to sources for memory foam, latex, polyfoam, and wool toppers.

• Iā€™d try to determine if the mattress did not already start developing the soft spots, and virtual impressions. You most likely will feel this as in the beginning it manifests as restless sleep, toss and turn in trying to find an adequate position, then over time pains and back pains will develop. These are among the many telling signs that your mattress reached the end of its useful life!
  • Having a higher BMI also will cause any mattress to change its properties much sooner than for average BMI sleepers.
  • Your mattress is already 15 years old and might need replacing in a few months/years down the road anyway. Does it make sense to find a temporary fix?

With sleeping hot, the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to the skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from the skin. There are quite a few tradeoffs involved between how breathable a topper is ā€¦ and how much they will affect the feel of the mattress, the importance of natural materials, and of course cost.

I am all for a mattress testing trip, but am concerned with my options here in Cincinnati.
By mattress testing trip, do you mean that we should go to these stores and find what feels good, then determine the materials and look for one of the trusted members who matches closely?

Exactly! Since you arenā€™t really sure of what mattress you might like or find compatible, testing out different types and styles (all-latex, hybrid, innerspring euro top, pillow top, etc) will give you additional clues and data points on how different materials feel or mattress types perform for you. ā€¦ Iā€™d take some notes as sensations are fresh in your mind. This test is informative and you donā€™t necessarily need to get all the specs of a mattress. Once you settle on this you need to test only the models for which you can find Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to compare them to the Mattress Durability Guidelines. With a higher BMI this is even more important as no mattress would last as long. If you like all-latex then things are more simple as latex is the most durable material andā€¦ you wonā€™t really need to find much more than if the comfort layer is below 24ILD (anything below that for higher BMIs will breakdown fast)

Usually, the outlets that are selling major brands are overpricing them (even if they claim sales) You can get a better quality/value for a similar mattress from the smaller manufacturers. See how far you can go with testing and if you have any major revelations and weā€™ll take it from there as now you have too many variables to work with and may be counterproductive to cram all the info in another long post with if-then scenarios.

Where I am going with this is that once you have data and clues, you can reach directly to a mattress maker or experienced retailer (and not just a sales agent that does not have enough in-depth knowledge to guide you). If you donā€™t have anything worthwhile in your area you may want to consider this TMU directory of companies that sell online and have been vetted to provide excellent guidance, quality, and value and that you can reach out to Trusted Members based on the information you provide them. With decades of experience in the mattress industry in theyā€™d be able to approximate something you liked during your testing. You have a very generous budget and should be able to find a quality mattress that has the best chance to be a good fit for both you and your wife.

All in good time, first steps first.
Phoenix

Thanks for the good feedback on their customer service!

Also, get Supima Cotton percale sheets for a cooler sleep. They are not as soft and wonā€™t look as good as they are crisp and stay coolā€¦

1 Like

Hi cfralick.

Hester has a good point about bedding that helps with temperature regulation. The percale sheets are cooler and more breathable. The weave of a traditional one-yarn-over and one-yarn-under grid gives it a matte finish and a lightweight, breathable texture.

While I am not familiar with percale hester mentioned you can have a look at the cool & crisp cotton percale from the Canadian company @Takasa (free shipping to the US). Recently my close relatives that have trouble seeping hot have ordered a complete set of organic percale cotton bedding from them and gave me a short report saying that Takasaā€™s percale bedding makes a great difference and they donā€™t break out in sweats.

I managed to snatch one of their pillowcases and I can vouch for it. It is much cooler than regular cotton but I was surprised it still feels soft, and luxurious even though it has this special weave. (I did not compare it with their Sateen though)
FYI ā€¦I monitor my bedroomā€™s temperature rigorously and can sense any temperature variation due to covers or bedding etc. BTW since 2023, Takasa is now one of the newest additions to TMU Trusted Membership.

Percale may work very well to address your sleeping hot issues, especially if combined with a more temperature-neutral mattress.
Looking forward to hearing how the mattress shopping journey goes.
Phoenix

1 Like

Thanks @hester for the recommendation.

Thank you @phoenix for such crazy detailed responses. I will certainly start the mattress testing and report back with anything I find.

I currently have bamboo sheets and love them. They seem to be very breathable and super soft. How does Bamboo compare to Cotton Percale?

Iā€™ve never tried bamboo sheets.

Ok Iā€™m writing this on my phone so I havenā€™t had a chance to look up much info, but I wanted post while itā€™s fresh on my mind.

Tried several mattresses just now and Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that I really just like a mattress that feels like a cloud haha. All of the mattresses except the purple 4 were medium firmness.

I laid on the sterns and foster luxe estate, sealy hybrid, Serta hybrid, beauty rest black coil and hybrid, tempurpedic luxe breeze and regular luxe.

Out of all of them my favorite feeling was the purple 3.

I did like the luxe estate and how it felt. To me, it felt like it was a solid bed and overall just comfortable.

The sealy and Serta hybrids both felt great because I sort of soaked into the top layer. Nothing too crazy stood out.

I really liked the floating feeling of the purple 3. It felt like I couldnā€™t feel any of the bed pushing on my body harder than the other. What was surprising was that the purple 3 was medium and the purple 4 was plush but felt stiffer than the 3.

My second favorite was the beauty rest black hybrid. Overall it felt almost as good as the purple. Just comfortable overall.

Wasnā€™t sure what to expect, but I need to do more reading and try to come up with a conclusion because Iā€™m still just as confused.

Thatā€™s it for now.

The Purple has an amazing initial feel for sure. I feel like it is ā€œthe man made latexā€.

You should try out latex before you move on the Purple 3. I tried Purple 4 and returned it due to lower back pain. That doesnt mean that Purple is ā€œbadā€ or you shouldnt buy it.

Other cloud like mattresses:

Aireloom Preferred M1/M2 in firm or plush (4 mattresses). Very luxurious feeling. They also have a mattress pad you can add on the top.

King Koil Pure Bliss Latex (Brook(firm) or Genesis(soft)) Amazing feeling of bouncy cloudlike suspension that is hard to describe. 100% talalay latex

I can see why so many buy Purpleā€¦.but Ive heard that it does break down for some. Latex will last so much longer.

FYIā€¦Intellibed is very similar to Purple, but does not feel as direct as Purple does.

John

1 Like

When you say ā€œfavorite feelingā€ā€¦.that seems to imply comfort. I guess it could be Preference. Dont forget Posture/support!!! If you dont have enough supportā€¦.your back will hurt!!!

John

1 Like

Hi there,
Thought we would chime in on the topic of bedding.
Appreciate the mention @phoenix - bedding can certainly make a difference in your sleep comfort.
Many people stress and research the purchase of a mattress, but often overlook the importance of bed sheets in providing sleep comfort. As per my analogy, you wouldnā€™t put slick tires on in the winter, so you should research the appropriate type of sheets for the season and how you like to feel when you sleep.
We have a whole blog on sleep comfort and sheets :arrow_right: Percale, Sateen or Flannel? How to Pick the Right Bed Sheet Type For You

But to give you the quick 101 on percale - Our Cool + Crisp Percale weave is a crisp, lightweight cotton weave that is perfect for those who like to sleep cool, as it allows air to circulate freely around the body, while still providing adequate warmth. It is characterized by a one-over-one-under weave that helps regulate your body temperature. In addition to its cooling properties, percale also has a smooth, matte finish - ideal for those who prefer a lighter fabric feel. Cool + Crisp percale is perfect for the summer months for most, and year round for those who tend to sleep warm but want to feel cool. i.e. Get these if you do not like sweating at night.

Hope this helps - and as a TMU member you do receive 15% off with code TMU15 at checkout - plus we have a generous 60 day return policy if you find our bedding is not right for your sleep comfort. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the response. After laying on the Purple beds, I feel like I am more confident/comfortable going with latex. The Macyā€™s near me sells King Koil, so I am going to try and make a visit to them. If I can get the similar feeling, but have the other benefits of latex, I am 100% on board.

I saw an intellibed and almost laughed when I looked at the price lol. $5,299 for the cheapest version in king size.

I think I can elaborate on the ā€œfavoriteā€ feeling comment. The Purple mattress felt like I was on a cloud, but I think the sensation or feeling came from no points of higher pressure than others. The goal is obviously to see if I can achieve that feeling (no pressure points) while maintaining spinal alignment.

I do sleep very warm, so this is great. I will be looking into your bedding sets as soon as we decide on a mattress.

thanks for the reply!

1 Like

You can go the King Koil website to seach for retailers in your area. Macys typically doesnt have the KK latex, but you never know.

I think you will love the KK Pure Bliss Latex, but it is pricy! It is 100% talalay latex.

Another national brand with latex is Posh and Lavish with talalay and dunlop. I preferred KK latex by a mile, but I would still check it out!

It will help you determine if you like talalay or dunlop.

John

1 Like

It looks like they only have the Austen collection in stock. From what I can tell, this is the Macyā€™s collection from King Koil that has the below specs

• Coil count: over 3000
  • Top type: Euro top
  • Over 20 hand applied tufts
  • 2" fast response plush HypurGel plush foam
  • 14ILD graphite infused Talalay plush latex
  • Quilt layer is made of wool/polyester with 3" High Density Quilt foams for superior comfort and a cool sleep surface
  • High density 2,000 encased center & perimeter zoned micro coils support , and over 1000 nested zone wrapped coil system to ensure proper sleep alignment
  • A double vertical quilted design, a hand tufted support design and a v-shaped semi flex module add hand made tailoring and craftmanship
  • Compatible with an adjustable bed
  • Warranty: 10-year non-prorated
  • Meets federal fire retardant safety standard
  • Created exclusively for Macyā€™s
  • Designed and handcrafted in the USA of imported and domestic parts
  • Furniture & Mattress Delivery, Returns & Services
  • [Request warranty information](javascript:void(0):wink:

Cool!

But the King Koil Pure Bliss Latex Brook Firm was 100% talalay medium latex. Looks like the Austen is a hybrid with latex. Try it out!

But I think you will be amazed by the 100% latex.

Let me know what you do!

Check out Flobeds Vzone! 20% off sale now!

John

1 Like

Thanks again. I will try to try to get to Macyā€™s this week and thanks for the tip on the FloBeds.

Alrighty then, @phoenix weā€™ve decided on latex as we like the feel. we were only able to lay on a King Coil mattress, but the wife and I both liked it.

Narrowed it down to:

1. Flobeds V-Zone 12". 100% Talalay, Goldilocks 20 year layer exchange, - $3400.
  2. Sleep EZ Organic 13". Top Layer Talalay, bottom 3 layers Dunlop, 90 day layer exchange - $2,900.
  3. Custom Sleep Technology 9". 100% Talaly, 2 free layer exchanges - no sale right now - $4,000
  4. Flexus Comfort 13". Appears to be 100% Dunlop, 90 day layer exchange - $2500

im sure all are quality, but is there value in going with either the Flobeds or CST for $900 - $1,500 over the Sleep EZ or Flexus?

It appears the price difference is Talalay vs Dunlop. Iā€™m not sure how different either of those feel or benefits really from one to the next.

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance!
Cody

Hi cfralick.

Good to see that you narrowed down your choices to four great mattresses. Your decision to go with latex is a sound planā€¦as its durability, breathability, temperature regulation, and support are ā€˜top of the lineā€™

As for your choices listedā€¦Flobeds, SleepEZ, CST, and Flexus: all 4 are good quality mattresses from longtime Trusted Members of the site;
In a nutshell, the main differences between mattresses are height, type of latex used, layer exchange policies, and the number of permutations to get the right comfort for you and your wife (by switching around layers). Also, youā€™d need to assess if the mattress needs to be split down the middle to accommodate different comfort/support needs for you and your wife.

ā€¢ In terms of durability (given the same ILDs for the top comfort layers) you are not likely to go wrong with any of these choices. As far as comparison goes; while latex is highly durable, the uppermost layer may wear down at some point (especially for higher BMI and softer latex). In case of your sleep profile changes down the line, having the Flobeds, ā€œGoldilocksā€ freedom to exchange layers may be worth the additional cost. so thatā€™s something to consider.
ā€¢ As you have a higher BMI even a durable material like latex in the top layers will go through more mechanical stress than for average BMI sleepers and will tend to wear out the fastest, especially for softer comfort options (Lower density and ILDs). A slightly firmer latex will offer a bit longer comfort life in your situation, but it may not provide the feel you and your wife desire.
ā€¢ In your considerations you need to do a bit of a balancing act between selecting a thicker mattress and firmer comfort layer(s) ā€¦ or ā€¦ thinner mattress and softer comfort layer(s). Larger and heavier body types generally do better with thicker and firmer comfort layers than thinner and lighter body types require. For an All-Latex mattress the thicker the mattress the higher the price point.
ā€¢ The type of material in your uppermost layer generally determines if a mattress is a good match in terms of personal preferences. Talalay and Dunlop have a different feel. Talalay in the same ILD as Dunlop will be less dense (will weigh less than Dunlop per cubic foot of material) This is the basis for the angel food cake vs the pound cake analogy Because Talalay has more air in it will also be more breathable and temperature regulating than Dunlop in the same ILD.
ā€¢ The value of a mattress has many movable parts and it is important to carefully look at your finalists from the perspective of your Personal Value Equation in Post # 46 and what is important to you, including the price point as well.

Hopefully, this will help you think through and ā€œimagineā€ how each may feel to you and your wife without having direct comparative experience with each.

Phoenix

1 Like

I pulled the trigger on the Custom Sleep Tech mattress. It should be here in a week or two so I will let you know how I like it.

Also purchased the Takasa Sheets recommended above, a Sunday Citizen Snug comforter and a Leggett and Pratt adjustable base.

Excited to put it all together.

1 Like

Hi cfralick,

It looks like you are all ā€œcoveredā€ and in very good ā€œshapeā€. I trust that the research and mindfulness you put into selecting the right sleep products for your unique personal value equation will bring you many restful nights.

Congratulation on your new mattress purchase and accessories! :smiley: I am sure that both @CST, and @Takasa (TMU Trusted Members) would be delighted to hear any feedback from you sometime down the road. As you know you purchased several high-quality products and you are also in good hands in terms of customer care.

When you have a chance weā€™d love to hear an update on your experience with the products.
Phoenix