Leesa

Could I get clarification on this last point please? It sounds like what you’re saying is that two 2" layers of 3lb foam will soften LESS than one 4" layer of 4lb or 5lb foam. Is that what you mean?

Hi phewd,

3 lb memory foam will soften “more” (not less) and more rapidly over time than higher density 4 and 5 lb memory foams and as you can see in the guidelines here … I would be very cautious about a mattress that has more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality/density memory foam (less than 4 lb density) in the upper layers of a mattress because once you reach 2" or more of lower quality/density memory foam in the upper layers of a mattress it would have a much greater chance of being a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability because of premature foam softening and breakdown and I would be very cautious about considering it unless there are no other reasonable alternatives in its budget range that use higher quality/density and more durable materials (memory foam or otherwise).

I would normally use 4 lb as a minimum density guideline for memory foam (which would be more durable than 3 lb memory foam) but in higher weight ranges I would tend to focus more on 5 lb memory foam and reduce or minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam as well because higher density 5 lb memory foams would be more durable than 4 lb memory foams and a density that would be suitable for lower weight ranges may not hold up as well if you are in a higher weight range.

I would also keep in mind that the loss of comfort and support that comes from foam softening isn’t considered to be a manufacturing defect and isn’t covered by a warranty unless there is also a visible impression in the mattress that is deeper than the warranty exclusion which is less common (see post #174 here) and the loss of comfort and support is the main reason that you will need to replace a mattress.

Phoenix