Left Out in Utah

Hello,
I can’t express how grateful I am for this forum. I have spent countless hours reading through posts and this site has been very helpful and informative.
I did see a previous post about someone searching for mattress dealers in Utah. I have looked them up and most of them are no longer in business or don’t carry brands I’m interested in. (I want to purchase from one of the brands you guys endorse.) I’ve taken mattress firmness tests and talked to people but I still don’t love the idea of purchasing a mattress without being able to test it— regardless of return, customer service, etc. It just seems like such a hassle if something isn’t right. I am a 5’2” 116# mostly stomach sleeper, have chronic fatigue and auto immune issues, and my husband is 6’ about 170# mostly side sleeper, rotates to his back, has shoulder pressure pain from our RC Willey mattress that needs replacing. We are leaning towards a split king with adjustable base. My question is— are there any current locations in Utah (we are in northern Utah but any suggestions would be helpful) that sell any of the mattress brands you guys recommend? I feel like Utah is lacking in the quality mattress department! Lastly, have you heard of Twinkle Beds? If so, what are your thoughts about them? Sorry for the novel!

Hey Qualitysleep, welcome to the MattressUnderGround and becoming a MUGster!

I’m sorry to hear that there aren’t many options in your area to find a quality mattress that meets your criteria.

After taking a moment to review Twinkle Beds, I must say they’re quite decent. While I can’t confirm if they’re made by Brooklyn Bedding, they certainly seem to mimic their style. The Dreamfoam Copper and Brooklyn Bedding Spartan bear striking resemblances to various models offered by Twinkle.

Personally, I’m a bit skeptical of certain claims about infusions, gels, and cooling fabrics. While there is some scientific basis for many of these materials, I believe their benefits and performance are often overstated. However, when these features are incorporated into a mattress, it doesn’t necessarily make it a poor choice; it just might create higher expectations than reality.

I completely understand your hesitation to make a blind purchase, much like I did when I bought my Brooklyn Bedding Plank Luxe. But after thorough research and consideration of available options, it turned out to be a blind date that we fell in love with.

One approach could be to visit different mattress stores and try out a few options. Take note of the various build combinations and materials used. Ideally, the mattresses you test should provide transparent information about their materials and specifications, enabling you to make informed comparisons. This way, your choice may not feel as blindly made as it initially seems. While I can’t help you locate mattress showrooms in Utah, we at TMU hope to guide you towards a mattress that suits your needs.

One mattress that comes to mind, that is not a latex based mattress is the DLX Premier Hybrid. DLX. There are many Trusted Members that offer multiple latex options, @DLX is one that comes to mind that does not.

Good luck on your search, dont fear trying some mattresses and then using that knowledge to make a blind purchase that matches up to your preferences.

Best of luck,

Maverick

Thank you for the warm welcome and the quick response! The past few months I have visited this forum more than any other website or social media platform, which I find kind of funny, but I want to feel as informed as possible before making my mattress purchase!
We tried the Twinkle mattresses and the one we like the best was their Comfort Luxe Hybrid (Split King Medium for me and soft for my husband.) I wasn’t completely sold on it but it seems like a good one.
We also purchased samples from Flobeds which none of those appealed to us personally as they were too bouncy and/or we didn’t love any of the firmness levels. Side note though- FloBeds has excellent customer service.
Lastly, we wanted to try a Latex mattress. We found one and loved it— it’s the Therapedic Pure Touch Hybrid Ebony 1.0 Talalay/Dunlop Latex Collection with a 3” Dunlop Latex topper. My question then is directed to @Sleep_EZ Are you familiar with this brand and if so, which of your mattresses and toppers would be the closest in similarity? We were leaning toward your hybrid mattress but your sleepEZ 100% natural latex mattress appeals to us because we can’t physically try the mattresses out so we like the idea of being able to customize the layers and the flexibility to change them out if needed. Does your hybrid mattress come with the option to switch out layers as well? We also think a King with the split halfway down the middle would work (seems a little less expensive than two twin XLs) but then would I need to purchase special sheets for that? And would it need to be on one adjustable base or two?
Now on to adjustable bases— we are leaning toward the @DLX adjustable base for our mattress/mattresses. DLX claims the wood planks/slats are more sturdy than the wire (please correct me if I understood this wrong) and their base seems to be one of the only options out there with wood slats. Other options would be the Ghost, Reverie, or Nectar adjustable base. We don’t care about the massage feature, USB, under light, etc. But we do want the wireless remote, anti-snore, separate up & down, and zero gravity features. Wall hugging feature would be preferable as well. @Sleep_EZ will you please let me know which adjustable bases work best with your hybrid or 100% latex mattresses?
This post is long enough to put anyone to sleep regardless of their mattress quality! :sleeping::joy: Sorry for another lengthy post!

Hi Qualitysleep and welcome to the forums and thanks for the inquiry! I’m not familiar enough with the firmness / feel of the components of that mattress to tell you how to replicate it, so the best I can do is give you guidance based on the information you provided about yourself and your partner. sorry about that!

Our Hybrid’s aren’t customizable, so it is what it is. I don’t normally recommend the Hybrid for stomach sleepers because it might be too soft for a stomach sleeper with a soft top layer.

Most king sized adjustable bases ship as 2 twin XL bases so you can operate each side independently for twin XL mattresses, or you can sync them together so that they operate as one king base for a king mattress. There will always be a gap at the top of the mattresses if they’re 2 twin XL mattresses, just FYI.

Based on the information you’ve provided, I would normally the 10" organic latex mattress with soft Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop for his side, and medium Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop for your side. The top Talalay layer should provide all the contour and pressure relief needed to avoid any pressure point issues and will add secondary support to the mattress. Secondary support is needed to fill in the gaps between your body and the mattress – back sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between the small of their back and the mattress; side sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between their mid-section and the mattress. If these parts of a person’s body aren’t supported by the mattress, their muscles will work throughout the night to hold these parts of the body up, and by the time they wake up they’ve got back pain. So the top 3” of Talalay latex will provide contour, pressure relief, and secondary support. The remaining Dunlop layers should provide all the support needed to maintain proper spinal alignment and avoid back pain. Please keep in mind that our initial recommendations have a 90% success rate (we only have a 10% layer exchange rate and a 3%-4% return rate) so there’s a 90% chance that the above recommendation works perfectly for you.

Regarding the sheets, if you order 2 twin XL mattresses, you can either order twin XL sheet sets or what’s called “split king” sheet sets. Twin XL sheet sets come with 2 twin XL fitted sheets, 2 twin XL top sheets, and standard sized pillow cases. King split sheet sets normally come with 2 twin XL sheet sets, a king sized top sheet, and 2 king sized pillow cases. The 3rd option is just to get king sheet sets, which come with a king fitted sheet, king top sheet, and king pillow cases.

1 Like

Thank you @Sleep_EZ for all the helpful information! We will go ahead and stick with the all latex mattress with the recommendations that you gave us. We don’t want to make our purchase until we have our adjustable bases ordered as well. Will any adjustable base do or are there specific ones for your mattresses that you recommend?

Qualitysleep

Latex works great on just about any adjustable base. Latex contours better than any foam on the market.