Lightweight side sleepers

Hello TMU! My partner and I are both lightweight side sleepers (5’6", 120 and 5’8", 150). We’ve been sleeping on a (too) firm memory foam mattress for a couple years, and we’re tired of the aches and pains (lots of hip and shoulder pressure, have to turn over to punish the other side)

After some research, I realize now that we should have a softer mattress. I’ve come up with 3 choices (but am certainly open to other suggestions) -

Purple (the ‘basic’ one)
Nest Natural Hybrid Latex
Bloom Hybrid (Latex)

I know I’ve read that lightweights don’t really need the hybrid construction, but I’m choosing the hybrids based on their latex and softness, the hybrid form is just by default.

Purple appeals because it’s different, but they’re described as ‘soft AND firm’, so I don’t know how that translates to a lightweight side-sleeper. I really NEED some pressure point relief, and I’d hate to get a mattress that’s too firm.

I’d like to keep it around $1200-$1500 (King size), but could go a bit over if it’s well worth it. Right now, I’m feeling over-informed and over-optioned and don’t know how to pick ‘the ONE’. Trying mattresses in person is not an option for us right now for various reasons, so I’m hoping to make a good, informed choice first time out.

I’m very grateful for any help, opinions, suggestions, etc. from anyone. I appreciate your taking the time, thank you for any assistance you can offer!

Hey back at you, Sleepyhed!

Welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

You mention that your current memory foam mattress is “too firm”; what firmness are you considering changing too? What brand/ size was your bed prior to this one, and what are some of the things you liked about it?

Your choice of a hybrid mattress is a good call; they are quite popular with many quality ones available within your budget. For other consumers who may be following your research and are curious about hybrids, Phoenix’s article “Different Types or Categories of Mattresses” is worth checking out. With a well-constructed latex hybrid mattress, not only do you get the natural, breathability qualities of latex, but you also benefit from the pocket coil support layer, known for its breathable qualities as well.

Purple’s construction uses Buckling column gel for its Purple Grid support layer over the mattress core. As Phoenix explains, “It is made of either hexagonal or square “columns” which will support a certain amount of weight and when they reach their threshold they then “collapse” under pressure. Because of this ability to be both firm in certain areas (to the degree of their threshold) and soft in certain areas (when they buckle), they have a good ability to form a cradle and offer a very good combination of pressure relief and lumbar support. They may even offer greater degrees of pressure relief than either latex or memory foam and are used in hospital applications for this purpose…There are some “down sides” to this material however. One of these is that they come with different “collapse” thresholds and the firmer ones (usually the hexagonal shaped versions) may be too firm for some people. They also have a somewhat different “crackling” feel to them which some people find is a little difficult to get used to and some have described as a “bubble foam” type of feeling. The second is that they are very expensive and like memory foam, require high quality support layers beneath them as they are not designed to be used as part of the deeper support system.There are some “down sides” to this material however. One of these is that they come with different “collapse” thresholds and the firmer ones (usually the hexagonal shaped versions) may be too firm for some people. They also have a somewhat different “crackling” feel to them which some people find is a little difficult to get used to and some have described as a “bubble foam” type of feeling. The second is that they are very expensive and like memory foam, require high quality support layers beneath them as they are not designed to be used as part of the deeper support system.” See the full article here, “Mattress Comfort Layers-Buckling Column Gel”.

Each of these mattresses have a 100 day sleep trial (BB has 120 days), giving you the ability to make a comfort exchange after an initial sleep adjustment period. They also have phone/ chat consulting available to help advise how well the models you’re considering are suited to your personal preferences, minimizing the need for an exchange in the future. They all offer product returns within varying time frames, you would want clear details about that process when asking your questions as well. The TMU Search feature will give you many consumer comparisons of these three brands, be sure and give that a try when you have time… :wink: . Let us know what you decide and good luck.

Thanks,
Sensei

Our current mattress is (I think) a Natures Sleep or Rest or something similar - One of those that pops up on Groupon and sites like that. It was about $700, I cheaped out and cost myself a couple years of comfort! It’s a king size and it’s quite firm, I’m thinking of going with a Plush this time.

One of the latex options I just saw - SleepEZ 10" Organic - has 3 layers of 3" Talalay latex, which can all be chosen by firmness level and can be split for a king. They recommended a Soft/Medium/Medium combo for us. It’s $1999, but if it will be quite a bit better than a hybrid I’d be willing. I jus have no way of quantifying or qualifying how much “better” this would be than a hybrid with a 3" Talalay top layer.

As far as buckling column gel, I’d love to have a more plush option than Purple offers. I’m concerned that if Purple isn’t for me, there’s really no way to make adjustments as with some other brands. I can’t find any other makers of a mattress with a top layer of buckling column gel!

They’re not cheap nor are they members of TMU, but Intellibed and Comfort King offer mattresses using buckling column gel as alternatives to Purple.