Little help in central Maine...

Hi, I have read your stickies and they turn me off to all the mattresses I have seen around.
Won’t get into specifics but I am a bad sleeper, my wife could sleep on a pile of rocks and she snores heavily.
I am in the Bangor area, looking to put 1500$ down and finance 2000$. Hoping to get an adjustable base.
Hope you can point me in the right direction, about to give in and go with a major manufacturer hybrid.
Thanks, Russ

Hi Bluefish,

[quote]Hi, I have read your stickies and they turn me off to all the mattresses I have seen around.

Hope you can point me in the right direction, about to give in and go with a major manufacturer hybrid. [/quote]

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

If you’ve read the tutorial then you probably already know that all the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay and I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (and the major retailers that focus on them) along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

The better options or possibilities that I’m aware of in and around the Bangor, ME area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

There is also more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research and I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you contact the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at websites.

Phoenix