Local Mattress Stores

:whistle: I’ve seen in a number of posts, that you recommend buying memory foam mattresses from a local dealer/manufacturer as opposed to a national name brand. Is there anywhere you recommend in or near santa barbara, ca?

We’ve been trying to decide between several brands like tempurpedic, serta icomfort. There’s also a local store called Mattress Mike that sells a line from Coaster which we’ve never heard of.

Finally, any thoughts on Mattress in a Box?

Thanks

Hi ajsb728,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

A mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it regardless of which manufacturers name is on the label. Coaster is a furniture distributor and importer and King Koil licensee and the quality/value of their mattresses would depend on the specifics of their design and most importantly the type and quality of the materials in the mattress. You can see the criteria I would use for memory foam mattresses in post #10 here. Once you know the specifics of what is in a mattress then you can make meaningful assessments and quality/value comparisons with other mattresses. If you can find out the specifications of a mattress you are looking and post it here I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about it.

There are several mattresses that are called “mattress in a box” so again it would depend on which specific mattress you were looking at and the specifics of the materials in the mattress. Do you have a link to the mattress you are looking at or the details of the layers?

Phoenix

Thanks for the fast reply. Here’s some additional info.

This is the link to the on-line place we’re considering: BedInABox® Mattresses - Better Sleep Is A Box Away™ | BedInABox

As for the Coaster mattresses, here are the specs on the two our local store carries:

Milano (http://www.mattressmikesb.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=11&category_id=8&Itemid=74):

3 3/8inch of 5.3lbs density memory foam
5/8-inch poly air barrier (helps keep the mattress cool)
6-inch base of high resilience base foam
20yr Warranty
10" mattress Profile

Capri (http://www.mattressmikesb.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=10&Itemid=63):
2 ½ inches of 5.3lbs density memory foam
½ inch poly air barrier (to keep the mattress cool)
5 inches of high resilience base foam
10yr Warranty
8" mattress profile

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Hi ajsb728,

You can read more of my thoughts about bedinabox in post #2 here. A forum search on bedinabox (you can just click this) will also bring up more information about them as well.

[quote]As for the Coaster mattresses, here are the specs on the two our local store carries:

Milano (www.mattressmikesb.com/index.php?option=...egory_id=8&Itemid=74):

3 3/8inch of 5.3lbs density memory foam
5/8-inch poly air barrier (helps keep the mattress cool)
6-inch base of high resilience base foam
20yr Warranty
10" mattress Profile

Capri (www.mattressmikesb.com/index.php?option=...item_id=10&Itemid=63):
2 ½ inches of 5.3lbs density memory foam
½ inch poly air barrier (to keep the mattress cool)
5 inches of high resilience base foam
10yr Warranty
8" mattress profile[/quote]

The memory foam in both of these is above the minimum guidelines I linked earlier but the density of the polyfoam in the base layer is missing and it’s not clear if the foam they use is CertiPur certified which would be a consideration for any memory foam that is imported from China. The polyfoam in the air barrier layer is less than an inch or so so the density of the base layer and the certification of the foams would be the only factor that I would want to know.

Phoenix