Logan & Cove long term durability ?

Hi everyone,
I’ve read quite a few posts on TMU. I’m almost ready to make my purchase and I need a technical question answered before I do.

I’m a Canadian shopping for a new hybrid mattress. After looking at so many US brands, I’ve decided to buy Canadian because of 1) terrible exchange rate 2) trouble shipping across the border 3) potential problems with warranty claims.

I’m 6 feet tall, 209 pounds. BMI 28. Mostly combo sleeper stomach/ side/ back. On the Canadian market, I really liked the Logan & Cove from Novosbed. I’m interested in the Hamuq as well. Silk & Snow seems to soft for me and I would like an hybrid construction (I know they have an hybrid, but it’s gel memory foam layer is only 3 lbs per cubic foot and it’s fairly new).

I’ve read the mattress buying guide on TMU and

Here is the specs directly from Novosbeds’ rep for the L&C :

The densities are as follows :
1" Cooling Gel Foam of 2.5lbs-IFD35, 1" High density foam 1.8lbs-IFD 34, 2" high density foam 1.8lbs-IFD 35.

I’m assuming the last 2 layers are polyfoam, so 1.8 lbs per cubic foot is the bare minimum recommended for my BMI, but I’m not sure what the minimum is for the gel foam layer. Is it gel memory foam therefore it should be at least 4 lbs per cubic foot ? I just want to make sure the mattress’ components are adequate in terms of densities.

Has anybody tried this mattress ? What are your thoughts ?

I’m open to any other mattress suggestion in Canada. My budget is 1500 $ or less.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi Peptoman,

Correct, for the polyfoam at 1.8 lbs, as the lower end of the recommended density, as per the recommended mattress support core article here

As for the memory foam TMU recommends:
There are different qualities or grades of memory foam and 5.0 lbs per cubic foot and higher is considered to be the highest quality, 4.0 - 4.9 is mid range quality, and 3.0 - 3.9 is lower quality (and only suitable for toppers or lower budget mattresses) more on this here

Did I answer all your question?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!
Mario

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the reply. I’m still not sure if the first layer, 1" cooling gel foam" is considered like memory foam, or like the other foam time (forgot the name) for which we can aim for a lower density than the 4 lbs per cubic feet ? Also, does the higher IFD can compensate for a lower foam density ?

Hi Peptoman,

Cooling gel foam usually refers too memory foam, so you can refer to the TMU memory foam guideline link in my previous post. I suggest you contact them to ask if it’s truly memory foam.

No, IFD does not compensate for a low density foam.

All the best

By the way, I asked Hamuq who manufactures their coils. Their response: “We are the ones manufacturing our own pocket coils. Also, these are made in Canada so it is very durable. We are using individually wrapped 1.8mm thick,15 gauge Canadian steel pocket coils on our mattress.” I did not realize they are steel manufacturer, unless they meant that they order coils and pocket saw them in the house. I also wonder why MFC does not sell pocket coils in Canada, like DIY mattresses does in the US? I found out that LP wholesale price in Canada (for a roll of five in CAD): full $91, full XL $94, queen $123, King $146 per each. I would gladly pay $250 for queen size to order these from MFC.

I meant the wholesale price for Leggett and Platt Quantum Edge Elite Combi-Zone. Roll of five (5) wholesale price in CAD: Full $91, full XL $94, queen $123, King $146 per each.

Hi Happycat8,

We don’t sell them for a few reasons:
1- DIY market in Canada is small and there not enough volume for us to bring them in
2- We don’t have the equipment and the space to make coil spring mattresses
3- Our focus is mainly on foam and organic dunlop latex mattresses

Thank’s for your suggestion and if ever we decide to add them to our collection I’ll post on this forum.

All the best

Hi Mario, you don’t need to make mattresses. You can just stock a roll of five and sell them for 3 times the wholesale price. It will still be so much cheaper than ordering from the US. But I guess you don’t have a way to vacuum pack like AP does: https://youtu.be/VmAOgItthDQ

Hi Mario, may I add one more comment? The fact that you have DIY section on your website suggests that there is some demand for DIY mattresses in Canada. I personally would never consider sleeping on more that one layer of latex. I tried and it felt like drowning in a bath of rubber; very suffocating. On the other hand, I like the feel of latex in a single layer. After looking at the response curves of latex (pressure as a function of compression), I believe that achieving correct spinal alignment using latex layers is like trying to fit a linear function via several non-linear functions interacting with each other non-linearly (because one layer has to compress a bit to activate a firmer layer below). A lot of guesswork. On the other hands, coils have a linear response curve, so one layer of latex on top is perfect. That’s why I see so many people discussing rearranging latex layers and exchanging the firmness until they approximate proper contouring close enough.And that’s why hybrid latex on coils mattresses are becoming so popular. If you were selling coils, I would happily have purchased them with latex topper and mattress cover from you as a combo (although now I already do have a latex topper and cover and only looking for coils).

Hi Happycat8,

We added the do it yourself mattress section 2 years ago and have made less than 100 sales since then. I get the feeling people just want the convenience of buying a mattress and if it doesn’t feel right then they can simply return it. That’s why the bed in a box business model has been booming in the last 5 years.

Thank you for the suggestion of stocking coils, I’ll pass the info along to our buyer,

All the best

Or you could add another customizable mattress in your lineup called Presto Quantum. In queen size:

2’’ or 3’’ soft latex topper: $369 or $469.
8’’ LP Quantum Edge Elite coils (Bolsa or Combi): $372.
1’’ felt layer under the coils: $50.
11’’ or 12’’ wool/cotton zippered topper: $599.

Total $1390 or $1490.

Compared with Avocado, Nest, Savvy, etc. this will be very tempting for Canadians considering most of those are not available here.

Has anyone here compared Logan & Cove (Novosbed) hybrid, to Haven 14" Lux Hybrid, to Saatva Classic hybrid?.. Looking for some advice and input, thanks. 5’10" less than 30 BMI, prefer medium firm… already tried Silk & Snow hybrid but it sagged

Couldn’t find this elsewhere on the site so just so folks know the updated foam densities of the L&C mattresses, the support guy on their chat website just told me these and seems relevant to this thread more than making a new one:

"Both Choice and Frontier feature the following foam densities:

1" Serene Soft Foam - 2.5 lb density, 12 IFD
1.625" Transition Foam - 1.8 lb density, 15-21 IFD"

Hi jordie, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update on the Logan and Cove foam densities! As different sized sleepers have different needs for support in foam layers, this can be very useful. We really appreciate it when forum members let us know when they get updated specifications for mattresses!

~ Basilio