Long-time lurker - Point me in the right direction.

First I would like to say that I’ve spent a good bit of time lurking and reading many of Phoenix’s posts over the last several months. But I find myself in essentially the same place I started. I’ll informed and unable to pull the trigger.

I am looking to buy a couple of new mattresses. 1 king and 1 queen. First the queeen then the kind a month or so later.

The main priorities are durability sex friendly and softness in that order. I am not price sensitive but I am open to spending a lot if the value proposition is clear.

The current leader is the OMF Orthopedic Ultra-Plush but I dont really know why other than I am really gun shy to shell out $3-5k and be disappointed. I think a pillow-top would be ideal but I keep reading about sagging/settling issues and I would have zero patience for that.

I have stayed in a few Ritz Carltons and love their mattress topper so that might be an optional add.

I am located in St. Paul and look forward to any/all input.

thank you,
A

Hi jtegg8,

The best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones. If you follow the steps one at a time you will have the best chance of success.

Two of the more important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

The best way to make sure that a mattress uses durable materials and doesn’t have any weak links is to make sure that you know the specifics of all the materials and components in any mattress you purchase (see this article and the guidelines it links to)

While there isn’t any consensus of opinion about which mattress is most sex friendly because it’s such an individual preference … in very general terms mattresses that are more resilient (springy) tend to be preferred by more people than less resilient mattresses when it comes to sex (see post #2 here).

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Minneapolis / St Paul area (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier) are listed in post #2 here.

Your “best choice” will always come down to testing for suitability in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your personal preferences), checking the quality of the materials to make sure there are no weak links in the mattress, and then comparing your “finalists” that make it past #1 and #2 for “value” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix