Long time, no post

So long, i can’t recall my old login, and now have 2 tweens. I originally found this forum 13 years and 60lbs ago, searching for the best mattress known to man (that I could afford with my first kid on the way), which lead to me buying a rocky mountain mattress (which i loved for maybe 8-10 years) but i wasn’t impressed with the longevity.

After reading through the threads, I’m leaning towards a flo-bed, but I’m curious how long latex holds up vs memory foam? Another recommendation I took over the years, was for pillows and I bought a bag of shredded latex based on a review Phoenix did. With that being said, I have reflux, which resulted in a weird/acrid smell from the pillow and raises the question, does ALL latex retain the smell or anything it comes in contact with, potentially amplifying it?

If latex holds up better than memory foam, but will be unsleepable if I sweat or drool or simply spill something on it, I’d be super bummed having spent $5-$6k. I suppose I could buy a waterproof cover, but curious nonetheless.

The next point is, I’ve gotten fat(ter) and I’m working on fixing that, which makes the flo-bed more appealing with the “goldilocks guarantee”. That being said, I’m curious if their site recommendations based on weight have worked well for folks, or if there’s a better direction to go altogether?

I’m currently:
6’0
Male

and have a target weight of 195 but 215 seems more realistic. I’m hoping the reflux resolves itself with the weight loss, but I’ve always been pretty drooly, so if anyone has recommendations for a 6’0 drooly fatso looking to drop 60lbs by winter, I’d love to hear them!

Hi Twistinturns, and welcome back to the Mattress Underground after so many years! A late but heartfelt congratulations on your twins as well!

Good to hear you had some good years with your Rocky Mountain mattress, but sorry it didn’t match your expectations for durability.

As you likely know, any mattress you choose will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) - thanks for providing those! - and your PPP (posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

As far as latex goes, as you can see by comparing the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines, latex is one of the most durable materials you can have in a mattress.

As far as ‘weird smells’, a good latex mattress or pillow should ‘off gas’ any lingering scent from the manufacturing/production/washing processes rather quickly…not sure what pillow you purchased all those years ago, but most domestically produced latex rubbers’ idor should dissipate within a few days to a week - (and sorry to hear about the acid reflux, that along with twins running around sounds like it might have been a bit ‘challenging’!)

$5-$6000 for a latex mattress is in the ‘luxury premium’ range - you certainly should be able to find a good supportive, durable mattress for less than that…and while there can be some issues if a latex mattress gets water damage - it’s best to fully dry the area to prevent any mold - any compatible mattress cover for the mattress you end up choosing should certainly protect it from normal wear, or minor spills…and, as you say you can always opt for a waterproof mattress protector, which are widely available.

As long as you can match your desired comfort level, a good all latex mattress will provide Togo’s support; higher BMI sleepers should look at thicker mattresses, but any of the Trusted Members of the site, can, by giving them some info like your Stats and mattress history, can provide you with options within your criteria. FloBeds has been providing excellent sleep solutions for over 50 years, and their slightly higher price point does, as you say, include the ‘Goldilocks guarantee’ which could bee ideal for you as you embark on your weight loss journey, as this allows for exchange of layers if your body profile changes drastically, without having to ‘start over’ with a new mattress.

In any event, please do let us know what mattress you choose and share your experiences with it - and wishes for success on your journey!

~ Basilio