Looking for a bed around ~$1,000

Just graduated from college, and I am ashamed to say that I have been either sleeping on a futon mattress or an air bed for the past 3 years. A few months into my first job and I would like to invest in a queen size bed within the $1,000 range.

I am 6’5", 195lbs, and I generally sleep on my back or side. About 5 years ago I began developing some sciatica, probably due to the beds I slept on. I have read through the information tutorials and now I am really just looking out for the best choices I have brand wise. I live near Flint, MI, if that helps at all.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :cheer:

Hi Kappa,

As you know from reading the tutorials there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone else to know which mattress or even which mattress type is best for you using a formula based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or "theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). The best anyone else can do is help with “how” to choose and the most effective steps involved in the process and only you can decide on which specific mattress is best for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on your testing or in terms of the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including your budget of course).

I would also be very cautious about “brand shopping” because outside of the suitability of a mattress in terms of PPP … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (see post #5 here). There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but the name of the manufacturer isn’t really a factor in the “value” of a mattress.

Your area certainly makes a significant difference because finding a better retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and the knowledge and experience and transparency of the manufacturer or retailer you deal with can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase. The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Detroit, MI area (which would include Flint) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix