Looking for a Latex Mattress that also is good for joints

I’ve read quite a bit, but I’m having a hard time choosing a specific mattress from all of the recommended brands.

I’m 6’2 285 lbs and my wife is 5’6 around 130. We both have backpain sleeping on an older simmons beautyrest.

From what I’ve read I would like a latex mattress, but searching the recommended brands which one is best? Money isn’t really a problem. I just want my backpain to go away…

We prefer a mattress on the softer side but somewhere in the middle is probably ok. Can someone that has had a similar experience recommend a mattress from a specific company?

Hi endy!

Welcome to our Mattress Forum :slight_smile:

I am sorry to hear about your back pain, but I am glad that you are taking your time and doing some good research in search of your next mattress.
There is quite a bit of weight differential you and your wife. You are definitely in a higher BMI range than her(36 vs 21 kg/m2), so a split left/right configuration could prove useful in your situation and suitable for both partners. A higher BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). This certainly could be firmer latex. Higher BMI people, in general, will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. See Post #3 for information and suggestions for higher BMI ranges that is worth reading.
Mattress-buying comes down to specific needs regarding Personal alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences (PPP). I would suggest that you acquaint yourself these mattress specifications you need to know to be able to identify potential weak links in the mattress you may be considering, or to be able to make meaningful comparisons between the mattresses you are interested in.

Ahh…I think you’re asking us to do a little of your homework for you. For the “pain to go away” … first, you must ensure that it is not a medical condition and it is quite important that you also understand your sleeping landscape, your needs and preferences. Deciding on a latex mattress and the budget is a good starting point, but there are many other variables that come into play in the mattress “narrowing” process. The sleeping positions of both partners, the balance of comfort support that you each prefer, and many other intangible factors. While I or any mattress expert on the site can certainly help you with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I would make sure revisit the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones which would include the major brands or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality of the materials inside it.

You would need to learn about pressure relief and support, about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

I look forward to hearing back from you once you’ve had a chance to decide on the few things I pointed out.

Phoenix