Looking for a latex topper for a too firm innerspring in PA

Hi, first time posting after reading lots of posts recently. Nice forum!.

My wife (5’6" approx 200 lb) and I (6’1", approx 190 lb) are predominantly side sleepers. I start the night on my belly but that lasts about 40 min and I roll to my side when my arms get numb and I"m on my side the rest of the night unless pain forces me to my back. I have some shoulder issues and side sleeping aggravates that at times. I also get bursitis in my hips that bother me when I’m on my side recently. I’ve had some back issue so if I sleep on my back more than a couple hours, I wake up with numbness in my leg.

We currently have a Shifman Rembrandt mattress for about 1.5 years now. It seemed firmer at home than when we tested it in the store for some reason. No pillow top, just the 2 sided mattress. I wanted to avoid the possibility of the pillow top sagging over time and not being able to replace it. I thought it would be better to add a topper at some point if we found the mattress uncomfortable. Well it’s that time. I’ve given it enough time and it’s just too firm for me. My wife finds it firm but it doesn’t bother her as much as it bothers me.

From my reading, I’m thinking a 3 inch soft latex topper would be a reasonable place to look? We tend to sleep hot and never really liked memory foam anyway so latex is appealing. Durability is also important to us.

my questions:
2" or 3’
Talalay or Dunlop
We’d like something with a washable cover if possible.
Is there anywhere near 17921 eastern/central PA to see/feel some talalay vs dunlop mattresses or toppers?

Being all “green” isn’t super important but think I’d prefer to have pure latex and not a blend for durability.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

Hey Tom,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

[quote]Hi, first time posting after reading lots of posts recently. Nice forum!.
[/quote]

Thanks for your kind words on the site; they are much appreciated! Good to hear that you’re checking out other posts as that always helps newbies with what to expect and how to navigate the long and twisting tunnels of research and convos.

[quote]My wife (5’6" approx 200 lb) and I (6’1", approx 190 lb) are predominantly side sleepers. I start the night on my belly but that lasts about 40 min and I roll to my side when my arms get numb and I"m on my side the rest of the night unless pain forces me to my back. I have some shoulder issues and side sleeping aggravates that at times. I also get bursitis in my hips that bother me when I’m on my side recently. I’ve had some back issue so if I sleep on my back more than a couple hours, I wake up with numbness in my leg.
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing both of yourpersonal stats, those are a good starting point for better understanding what materials, layers, and constructions that would optimize your personal preferences. I am sorry to learn of the arm numbness, shoulder issues and hip bursitis that you’re dealing with. Oftentimes, chronic pain issues can interfere with a restful night’s sleep. Hopefully, we can offer some thought-starters that will help you get back on the right track.

Congrats on your new topper shopping journey :slight_smile: ! I took a peak online at your Shifman Rembrandt mattress, and it definitely has a firmer-feeling build: 12 1/2 gauge hi-profile double off-set coils for support, 3/4" natural latex and four layers of natural cotton as comfort for either side. It’s not surprising that your mattress may feel firmer at home, as a newly manufactured mattress takes time to adjust to your body profile, while a showroom floor model has light use associated with its feel. Use of a topper is a good way to add comfort for a too firm mattress, and there are many choices available. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the firmest, what rating would each of you give its feel? When you can quantify how each of you perceive its firmness, then you are closer to understanding what type topper would be best suited for you both. You may find this recent Phoenix post regarding choosing toppers enlightening.

[quote]From my reading, I’m thinking a 3 inch soft latex topper would be a reasonable place to look? We tend to sleep hot and never really liked memory foam anyway so latex is appealing. Durability is also important to us.

my questions:
2" or 3’
Talalay or Dunlop[/quote]

Do you have a point of reference for the feel of a soft ILD latex? You may find with your somewhat higher BMIs that a 3" 19 ILD topper may be a good choice for you, as long as your wife is good with trying something much softer than you sleep on currently. Your choice of Talalay or Dunlop latex foam is strictly a comfort preference, each is a highly durable material. Talalay 's open-cell structure provides a more cooling feeling and has a buoyant , lively feel. Dunlop latex is a more dense foam that gives a firmer yet uplifting feel. A fun analogy for comparison is to think of the latex manufacturing process’s result as similar to Angel Food and Pound cakes. Talalay latex is lighter, more responsive, and “springy” as is Angel Food cake. Dunlop latex is more dense, heavier, and firmer, as is Pound cake. Both types give the “sleeping on” cloud-like experience that latex is known for.

[quote]We’d like something with a washable cover if possible.
Is there anywhere near 17921 eastern/central PA to see/feel some talalay vs dunlop mattresses or toppers?
[/quote]

You may consider consultation with one of our trusted members specializing in the latex category. They would also be able to make recommendations on washable covers. For clarity, we don’t make recommendations for showrooms unless they are a vetted member of the TMU. This referral practice creates confusion with other consumer subscribers who assumed that these businesses had gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground.

There are scores of conversations debating “pure” latex vs. “blended” latex. “Green” marketing stories drive the interest and confusion between the two, and for some reason consumers see blended latex as less desirable when that is a misnomer; it is actually a more durable material. In the softest ILD’s, Talalay latex that is made completely of natural rubber my not be quite as durable or resistant to impressions as the blended version, making blended latex a preferable choice, you may learn more on that in Phoenix’s article, "Latex- Pros and Cons. Blended latex is also less expensive than natural rubber Talalay, making it a preferred component choice to offer consumers high-quality Talalay at a lower cost.

Do you have any updates on your research, Tom? Good luck and drop by with your updates as your journey progresses :wink: .

Sensei

Thanks for the thorough reply. I read the links you provided then many links within those threads. I didn’t find many of those thread as I was searching titles for “latex topper” or something similar. I’m glad you provided the information about the softer pure taladay as being less robust physically, so to speak.

If I had to rate my current mattress, I’d say overall it’s probably around an 8. The comfort layer is probably more like a 4-5 but it’s just not thick enough to relieve pressure points or provide adequate support.

We haven’t had a chance to actually physically put our hands on a latex mattress or topper since I’ve started my search. That is part of why I asked the question about reliable retailers. I figured the chances of having any our here in the sticks of PA would be slim but it was worth asking. I’ll have to find time to see what the local mattress suppliers have to look at just to get a feel for things. I’m a little concerned a soft ILD may be too soft but don’t have a reference for the support of soft latex.

Tom

Hello Tom,

Just thought I’d mention that a lot of us online retailers will ship you out samples of the different firmnesses of latex so that you can get a hand feel of the latex. The samples can also help you determine if you have an allergy. Usually the free samples are not large enough to sit on, but can be squeezed in your hand. Often for a fee, you can order larger samples.

While each manufacturer’s latex feels different, in general, you can image the latex compressing underneath you or in your hand according to the Banana Comparison:
Soft: a brown banana
Medium: a yellow banana with a few spots
Firm: a yellow banana
Extra-Firm: a chartreuse banana
Hard: a green banana

Happy mattress making.

Hey Tom,

Thanks for your updates :slight_smile: .

A Google search using “latex mattresses near 17921” revealed this Vita Talalay partner, “Your Organic Bedroom,” a showroom featuring Savvy Rest Dunlop and Talalay latex mattresses located in Paoli, PA. It’s a bit of a drive, but you may want to reach out to them directly regarding testing some of their latex mattresses. Their number is: 610-647-4068. I am not familiar with Your Organic Bedroom’s showroom, but they may can advise you on latex mattress dealers closer to your area. Hope this helps!

Sensei

P.S. @diynaturalbedding: thanks for your excellent Banana Comparison analogy, I am totally borrowing that one, with your permission of course… :wink:

Sensei,

Thanks for the information. I’m going to be about 45 minutes from “Your organic bedroom” tomorrow as a sporting competition with the kids but they close at 4 pm and we likely won’t be done by then. I’ll see how it goes.

DIY, does your company offer samples to get a feel for the differences between something soft vs medium firmness?

Thanks for the time and information!

Tom

Hey Tom,

Thanks for your updates :slight_smile: .

I’m sure that there are some of the TMU Trusted Members have latex samples, I’ll be back around the first of the week with my findings for you :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei

Sensei, thank you. That is very kind. The kids’ competition lasted until after 5 so we couldn’t make it to “Your organic bedroom”. We did happen across a “Mattress Firm” when we stopped for a bit to eat. It was in the same plaza. Not much in the way of latex there to sample. Just an Intellibed that had some latex in the comfort layer and I think a Beutyrest if I recall. That has like 1/2 inch of latex in the comfort layer. In general I seemed to be more fond of the items listed as medium firmness than I was the soft/plushy listings although the were using products other than latex. I’ll continue my search as time allows.

Tom

Hello Tom,

You bet. Just email me your address and we can get you some samples of the different firmnesses of latex. Our Manufacturer Memberships :: The Mattress Underground

Deborah

Thanks Deborah,

Email sent.

Tom