Looking for a latex topper for a too firm innerspring in PA

Hey Tom,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

[quote]Hi, first time posting after reading lots of posts recently. Nice forum!.
[/quote]

Thanks for your kind words on the site; they are much appreciated! Good to hear that you’re checking out other posts as that always helps newbies with what to expect and how to navigate the long and twisting tunnels of research and convos.

[quote]My wife (5’6" approx 200 lb) and I (6’1", approx 190 lb) are predominantly side sleepers. I start the night on my belly but that lasts about 40 min and I roll to my side when my arms get numb and I"m on my side the rest of the night unless pain forces me to my back. I have some shoulder issues and side sleeping aggravates that at times. I also get bursitis in my hips that bother me when I’m on my side recently. I’ve had some back issue so if I sleep on my back more than a couple hours, I wake up with numbness in my leg.
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing both of yourpersonal stats, those are a good starting point for better understanding what materials, layers, and constructions that would optimize your personal preferences. I am sorry to learn of the arm numbness, shoulder issues and hip bursitis that you’re dealing with. Oftentimes, chronic pain issues can interfere with a restful night’s sleep. Hopefully, we can offer some thought-starters that will help you get back on the right track.

Congrats on your new topper shopping journey :slight_smile: ! I took a peak online at your Shifman Rembrandt mattress, and it definitely has a firmer-feeling build: 12 1/2 gauge hi-profile double off-set coils for support, 3/4" natural latex and four layers of natural cotton as comfort for either side. It’s not surprising that your mattress may feel firmer at home, as a newly manufactured mattress takes time to adjust to your body profile, while a showroom floor model has light use associated with its feel. Use of a topper is a good way to add comfort for a too firm mattress, and there are many choices available. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the firmest, what rating would each of you give its feel? When you can quantify how each of you perceive its firmness, then you are closer to understanding what type topper would be best suited for you both. You may find this recent Phoenix post regarding choosing toppers enlightening.

[quote]From my reading, I’m thinking a 3 inch soft latex topper would be a reasonable place to look? We tend to sleep hot and never really liked memory foam anyway so latex is appealing. Durability is also important to us.

my questions:
2" or 3’
Talalay or Dunlop[/quote]

Do you have a point of reference for the feel of a soft ILD latex? You may find with your somewhat higher BMIs that a 3" 19 ILD topper may be a good choice for you, as long as your wife is good with trying something much softer than you sleep on currently. Your choice of Talalay or Dunlop latex foam is strictly a comfort preference, each is a highly durable material. Talalay 's open-cell structure provides a more cooling feeling and has a buoyant , lively feel. Dunlop latex is a more dense foam that gives a firmer yet uplifting feel. A fun analogy for comparison is to think of the latex manufacturing process’s result as similar to Angel Food and Pound cakes. Talalay latex is lighter, more responsive, and “springy” as is Angel Food cake. Dunlop latex is more dense, heavier, and firmer, as is Pound cake. Both types give the “sleeping on” cloud-like experience that latex is known for.

[quote]We’d like something with a washable cover if possible.
Is there anywhere near 17921 eastern/central PA to see/feel some talalay vs dunlop mattresses or toppers?
[/quote]

You may consider consultation with one of our trusted members specializing in the latex category. They would also be able to make recommendations on washable covers. For clarity, we don’t make recommendations for showrooms unless they are a vetted member of the TMU. This referral practice creates confusion with other consumer subscribers who assumed that these businesses had gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground.

There are scores of conversations debating “pure” latex vs. “blended” latex. “Green” marketing stories drive the interest and confusion between the two, and for some reason consumers see blended latex as less desirable when that is a misnomer; it is actually a more durable material. In the softest ILD’s, Talalay latex that is made completely of natural rubber my not be quite as durable or resistant to impressions as the blended version, making blended latex a preferable choice, you may learn more on that in Phoenix’s article, "Latex- Pros and Cons. Blended latex is also less expensive than natural rubber Talalay, making it a preferred component choice to offer consumers high-quality Talalay at a lower cost.

Do you have any updates on your research, Tom? Good luck and drop by with your updates as your journey progresses :wink: .

Sensei