Looking for a mattress and overwhelmed by reviews and options.

Hi there, I am desperately hoping that I can get some good input here as I try to maneuver through the process of buying a mattress. I am a 5’ 11", 200 lb combination sleeper, primarily side. I have had two different sleeping arrangements in the last 8 years and neither of them have been great for me. To start, I have a bad low back with occasional disc bulges and bone spurs in my L5-S1 area which can cause me alot of issues and muscle spasming from time to time. Initially I had gotten a purple mattress because I thought it could be good for my back, however after a year or two, I felt like it was sagging some in the middle and because I was having more issues with my back and thought maybe the mattress was to blame. Since then, I have been sleeping on 3-6" of memory foam on hard surfaces, i.e. the floor, wooden planks, etc, however I am consequently dealing with shoulder and upper back pain due to the unforgiving nature of this arrangement.

I am currently considering getting the Nest Owl Natural Latex Hybrid after reading and reviewing the available information for mattresses (there is so much). But before I pulled the trigger, I wanted to check-in here and see if others have had these issues and found mattresses that they liked. I suspect that I like mattresses on the firm side due to my current set up, and I think that is generally better for my low back, however with the pain that I am experiencing in my shoulders and upper back due to my habit of side sleeping, I really need to change it up. Help!!

I tried some of the Nest Bedding mattresses. Im thinking you would not like it. Im 5 11 and 225lb. I did sort of like the Nest Finch Latex. It come is medium or firm. I think you will like the medium. I think you have 90 days to switch out cores.

Finch has some Dunlop. Why do I not know the specs? It was pretty good and felt sumptuous, but firm. I just like Tempurpedic LuxeAdapt Firm better. I know that many say that Tempur is no good, almost every mattress store had them. There must be a reason! Consensus is not always wrong!!!

Im also looking at Flobeds VZone….infinitely adjustable latex!!! They have Cinco De Mayo sale til 5/8/2022 or 5/9/2022. $800 off Vzone!!! You should try it!!! It is adjustable. Too firm? Get a softer core!!! It makes sense for you!!!

Let me know what you do!!

John

Hi liquidfuran.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear of the poor experience you had with the Purple. We find many people report premature breakdown of Purple mattresses - it’s unfortunate really that they choose to use less durable materials in what could be an otherwise neat idea of a bed.

As for the Owl Natural Latex, it’s available in plush, medium, and firm (firm sounds like it’s probably the best for your needs) but the springs will be MUCH more forgiving on your upper body than the floor is.

BillyIdol (John) also brought up the Vzone mattress. This could be an excellent option as well since it allows for so much wiggle room in terms of how you set up the latex. You may be able to get a softer feel in the shoulders but a firmer feel in the back. The Natural Escape also has a 5 zone coil system that offers this sort of flex and support naturally.

I hope this helps and, of course, I hope that anyone with similar experience and support needs can chime in for you.

NikkiTMU

1 Like