Looking for a new bed to replace my old Innerspring - North Virginia area

Hello,

I’ve been looking to buy a new bed but still haven’t been able to decide on anything.

I’m a 320 lb. male. I am currently using a very old innerspring mattress with a down feather mattress topper on top to make it tolerable to sleep on. I have problems though with the innerspring mattress having crappy sagging support below. Also the feather mattress topper needs adjusted all the time to make it comfortable, since the feathers get bunched up. I do love a soft bed that a feather topper brings. I would have a hard time just falling asleep on the mattress itself since it feels so hard. I want a really soft bed but at the same time has support.

I was looking at Bed in a Box but heard some reviews saying it was really firm and some information from here saying they aren’t exactly a wonder bed.

I might try and head out to a Healthy Back store in the area to try out the memory foam and latex beds. I haven’t had much experience with them. I don’t really want the feeling of being mummified (my whole body sinking into the bed and it forming around me) that I hear some memory foam mattresses do.

Hi Looking for a bed,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

There is also more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that will be helpful for those in higher weight ranges.

You can see my thoughts about Bedinabox in post #2 here. I would normally tend to avoid 3 lb memory foam in any weight range but with your much higher weight it would be even more important to use higher quality/density materials in your mattress.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Northern Virginia area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=47244]Hi Looking for a bed,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

There is also more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that will be helpful for those in higher weight ranges.

You can see my thoughts about Bedinabox in post #2 here. I would normally tend to avoid 3 lb memory foam in any weight range but with your much higher weight it would be even more important to use higher quality/density materials in your mattress.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Northern Virginia area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks for your help!

I’m going to try and visit the Healthy Back store which is a little bit closer than the rest. I want to try out their Pure Latex Bliss beds as well as their “Gel” beds. If I liked the Healthy Back Bliss Pristine Pure Latex, I wouldn’t mind buying it, but the price on their website for a queen bed seems a lot more than it should be. I’m not sure how much the average worker in their stores know compared to their headquarter experts.

From there I’m going to visit Urban Mattress and American Foam Center which are also close enough. My hope is that the place that has the bed I want also has a financing option I can work with.

Hi Looking for a bed,

Their PLB mattresses are the same design (with different names) as the regular PLB mattresses. You can see the specs of the PLB mattresses in post #2 here and the Serenity is the same as the Pamper, the Essence is the same as the Nature, the Elegance is the same as the Beautiful, and the Pristine is the same as the World’s Best Bed. Post #32 here has some online sources for PLB mattresses that may be useful for pricing reference purposes.

Phoenix

let me know how the visit to the foam center is going please.

I am currently in the same boat but with slightly less weight:https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/out-shopping-and-really-like-the-serta-iseries

Phoenix, I forgot to mention, my budget can be around $2000 but possibly more with financing if it will make the difference worth it. Any specific beds you suggest trying out at Healthy Back and Urban Mattress?

If I make it out that way I’ll let you know.

Hi Looking for a bed,

I don’t have any specific suggestions no because each person may have very different needs or preferences. I don’t keep a record of all the individual mattresses that are in the showroom of the hundreds or retailers that are listed in the forum lists because it would be more than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market but I would test the types of mattresses and materials that you are most interested in trying or that you know you tend to prefer. I would also make sure that you are able to find out the specifics of the materials in any of the mattresses that you test (see this article) because it can be somewhat frustrating to spend time testing a mattress that turns out to be a “perfect” match for you in terms of PPP only to discover that you aren’t able to find out the specifics of the materials inside it so you can identify any weak links in the materials or make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses.

Phoenix

If you haven’t gone yet, definitely give Urban Mattress a try. They have mattresses to suit most budgets, and have a selection of innerspring, memory foam, and latex. The owner, Nathaniel, is a great guy to talk to and not pushy. I was very comfortable buying from him because I felt that if I had any concerns, he’d just be a phone call away to help, unlike with major retailers where you don’t know who you’ll get transferred around to.

If you go to American Foam, just be prepared for a different kind of experience. They’re not a traditional mattress seller and are located in sort of an industrial business park.

Ended up going with a body tech from mattress authority in Warrenton.