Looking for a new Mattress...Help!! :)

Hi Everyone,
I’m new. Great forum!! :slight_smile: I am looking for a queen mattress and boxspring set, medium firm between $500 to $700, tufted and or quilted material, I would prefer a spring mattress, latex or a latex foam hybrid. I am hoping to find a quality mattress that won’t have issues with sinking or sagging at least not for a long while as I have issues with pain in my back… My weight is about 145lb, 5’5". I would like to find a mattress that is not just ok but really feels comfortable, firm, supportive and soft enough to sleep on without feeling hard. Currently I am sleeping on a foam mattress and platform bed with a flat surface and no slats to avoid sagging and back pain.

Thanks Phoenix so much for posting this list of great mattresses in Toronto, Canada, GTA as that is where I am located.

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/factory-direct-mattresses-in-the-toronto-on-and-gta-area

I have been searching everywhere to find a good mattress and I really want to be careful to avoid a sagging or dipping mattress. I am considering the Ideal Mattress they seem like they may have good edge support “Paradisus” Super Euro top or the “Oasis” Euro top. Has anyone tried any of their mattresses?

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: idealmattress.com/ideal-mattresses

Phoenix would you and the other members be able to point me in the right direction to a great mattress and boxspring for my price range?

Thanks,

Cloudz

Hi Cloudz,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! I’m glad you’ve found us. :slight_smile:

You can see some comments about Ideal Mattress in the Toronto list here (which I know you already found) and a forum search on idealmattress or an exact term site search on Ideal Mattress Ltd (you can just click both links) will bring up all the forum posts with comments or feedback about them as well.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a business can certainly be helpful … I would be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

I would keep in mind that the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The “value” of a mattress purchase is always relative to how it compares to the other specific mattresses or “finalists” you are considering (in the same size of course and based on “mattress only” to “mattress only” comparisons) or that are available to you either locally or online and there isn’t a “formula” you can use to assess the value of a mattress because it depends on each person’s criteria which can be different from person to person.

Having said that … there is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Looking at the Ideal Mattress site, they have a few items in your budget range, but they aren’t very specific about the actual components in the mattresses you mentioned. While I can’t speak to how any of those mattresses will feel for someone else … I can certainly make some comments about the quality or durability of the materials inside it if you’re able to find that out about a particular model you might be considering. If you visit the store, they should be transparent with the actual componentry, layers, and density of the foams.

I look forward to learning about your progress.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Thanks so much for all your help and information. I am continuing to search for a mattress. I called Ideal Mattress but unfortunately they are no longer offering thier pre made ideal mattresses and said they have fazed them out and they are only offering custom made mattress instead.

What do you think of a queen hybrid latex and coil mattresses? I am thinking of getting a mattress with a natural Talalay top 2", with maybe a high density supportive medium firm biofoam or medium firm polyurathane foam or medium firm dunlop latex core, then pocket coils 800 or more. Do you think these materials would make a quality, durable and good mattress…something that won’t sag at least not for a long time? I am hoping it will possibly be medium firm at the core and supportive with soft layer at the top for comfort.

I spoke to a mattress manufacturer today and they said they can add a top layer of natural Talaylay latex on any mattress I choose that they carry such as “Simmons Beauty Rest” or “Sleep in” mattresses. Do you think that making a mattress by just adding a replacing the top memory foam with natural Talaylay latex would make a good combination for quality and durability for what I would like.? I was think of getting the Sleep in mattress with latex top. Do you know what I need to look for in a quality latex coil hybrid mattress? Did I miss anything?

Thanks so much. :slight_smile:

Hi Cloudz,

You need to go back and read the Mattress Shopping Tutorial that I mentioned in my earlier reply to you in post #2 in this thread. Within that tutorial it will describe the things to look for when shopping for a mattress, including useful information about the quality of foams that we will recommend that you use.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

When you can’t test a mattress in person - if you’re considering something online or form a distance - then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight/BMI range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress (see the durability guidelines here).

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I’m unclear if you are trying to construct your own mattress or looking to buy something that is already manufactured. You haven’t provided any meaningful information regarding actual componentry for me to advise you if you’re considering good quality products or not. Use the durability guidelines linked above to help assess whatever item you are considering.

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components that are purchased from one or several different sources, or having someone build it for you. then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

Good luck!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Thanks so much for your help. I have been doing a lot of reading and research about mattresses as you suggested and I plan to get a mattress very shortly. I am very interested in getting a mattress from Springmade Mattresses in Toronto. I also visited SleepCountry in Toronto to try out mattresses to see what they were like. I didn’t seem to like any of the beds they had available on display. I did not find the Tempuredic all foam mattress comfortable at all and I couldn’t move around in it at all. I didn’t seem to like the Simmons Beauty rests they seemed a bit too soft. The only one I really like was the Serta “ClearSpring” Medium firm but it was over my budget.

I am leaning toward Springmade Mattresses in Toronto. They have 2 mattresses I am considering: I spoke to them on the phone and they seemed nice and knowledgable.

The first one is called the “Majestic” double sided pillow top it has 850 regular coils (pocket coils optional) they use a 1.8 pound foam in the pillow top on top of the mattress. I asked if I could get a better quality foam such as a 2.8 lb foam instead and they can do so but he seemed very surprised about me asking for that. I just got the feeling they were not too happy about me asking these kinds of questions. How can I be sure just because I asked for the 2.8 lb foam medium firm I will get it as I wouldn’t be able to know the difference?

The second mattress is called “Regada” latex mattress which is Tallalay latex on the top and about 850 regular coils.

I am going to visit their show room and try out their mattresses. I am most likely going to get the mattress called “Majestic” double sided pillow top mattress and boxspring with a 2.8 lb foam medium firm if that is possible.

Phenoix do you have any suggestions or advice on this company and their beds and how I select the best mattress materials?

Hi Cloudz,

I would be surprised as well. Where did you come up with the value of a 2.8 lb polyfoam, as this is not a common density except in some of the newer generation of what I call “high performance” polyfoams? Unless you are very experienced with foam manufacturing, fabrication and mattress design (which would be a very small percentage of the population), I’d avoid making specific foam density specifications in particular layers, and instead reply upon the manufacturer’s knowledge of mattress construction and then compare their specifications to see if they meet the mattress durability guidelines here, and then perhaps request a foam of a higher-density in a certain layer if you found a “weak link”. A 1.8 lb polyfoam would be considered a good and durable material in a two-sided mattress.

On their web site, Springmade doesn’t list the specifics of their mattresses, so you’ll need to acquire the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components. And be sure to follow the steps as outlined in the mattress shopping tutorial, which I’ve linked to previously, for testing a mattress.

Good luck!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Thanks so much for your reply. I did my research as you suggested and I also spoke to an expert who deals with foam and mattress and checked many other sources that say the same thing… The expert I spoke to explained to me about the durability of polyurethane foam. I was told not all polyurethane foam will last the same amount of time. 1.8 lb polyurethane foam will last a shorter time than polyurethane foam that is 2.8 to 3lbs. So for example if I get a mattress and put 1.8lb foam in it that comes in medium and firm it will not last as long or have the same durability as a 2.8lb to 3lb polyurethane foam which will also come in the same medium and firm and have the same feel. They explained to me also that the firmness of the polyurethane foams has to do with the compression rate.

They also explained to me that memory foam is different from polyurethane foam. Memory foam comes in 3, 4 or 5 pound foam but 3 pounds is softer than 5 pounds.

So I am looking for the more durable polyurethane foam to put into my pillow top mattress. Are you saying I am not able to get the 2.8 to 3lb more durable foam? Thanks again.

Hi Cloudz,

The information I’ve linked to multiple times here regarding foams and durability already describes that 1.8 lb polyfoam is considered a high-density foam and a good durable material, and above them 2.0 and 2.2 lb are the next logical steps that you might find in quilt foam. Some of the newer high-performance polyfoams are being used in transition foam layers are in the 2.8 – 3.0 lb range.

The indentation load deflection (or indentation force deflection for poly foam), called the ILD/IFD, is how foam is rated for “plushness”.

Memory foam comes in many different pound ratings, which are not equivalent to plushness. Most will describe the higher density memory foams as having a more contouring feel because of their increased viscous properties.

I’m saying that you’re preemptively requesting higher foam densities from a manufacturer before trying out a mattress or having any real knowledge of the actual components/layers within the mattress and the densities involved in the “default” configuration that they offer, and to do so without that knowledge and simply requesting a higher density may not be necessary, available, or beneficial.

I would tend to avoid getting too complex in combinations of specifications to try and predict how a mattress will feel/perform for you. When you try and choose a mattress based on combinations of specs that you may not fully understand, or only based on specs for single layers or components (especially without trying out the product) that may not be as relevant or meaningful as you believe they are, then the most common outcome is “information overload” and “paralysis by analysis”.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Thanks so much for your help. I do understand there are many different factors that make up a quality mattress. But they explained it to me quite simply. The polyurethane foam I asked them about… they said that the only difference between the 1.8lb polyurethane foam and the 2.8 to 3lb polyurethane foam is one lasts longer and more durable and is used in mattresses and will feel exactly the same both come in medium and firm. The higher the pounds in the polyurethane foam does not mean more density or more firm as they are the same…

I can’t say if this is a new type of polyurethane foam all I know is that I would prefer the more durable foam if the 2.8 to 3lb foams as the same in feel and firmness as I was told. So that is why I want the more durable polyurethane foam in the pillow top. I have not tried it the mattress but I was told it was 1.8lb polyfoam in the pillow top.