Looking for a new mattress - suggestions?

My wife and I are both 33 and looking for a new mattress. She has shoulder pain and back pain which causes her to sleep on the couch or in odd positions which further perpetuates the problem. We went into a mattress store and the lady seemed nice but probably not the most knowledgeable. My wife sat on a few beds and eventually like the Sealy posturepedic plus hybrid with medium firmness. She only sat on a couple mattresses before deciding that was the one she liked and additionally, they don’t offer a trial period or charge for returns, etc so it felt like we should explore other options. Given our situation are there any mattress you would recommend or any that are similar to the Sealy posturepedic plus hybrid with medium firmness?

Hi! Your question has been received and is in the que to be answered shortly. Thanks!

Hi,
We are in the same situation.
We are in our 60’s and need a new mattress.
But don’t want to get a SleepNumber or Latex or foam type, since we had bad experiences with them.
We’re both side-sleepers, and want a mattress that will last many years like the old spring mattresses did.
However, since we sleep on our sides, we need something (like the 4" topper we added to the existing bed) so our arms don’t go numb and so we won’t have shoulder pain.
Any help on durable spring or hybrid spring mattresses would be very much appreciated.
We can add a topper and want to reuse our frame and foundation
The frame is perfectly good (has 7 support points) and the frame is not sagging (it is for a latex mattress)
We don’t trust the mattress sales people b/c they’re in it only for the money.
They really don’t care about what is durable b/c they want us coming back and buying more sooner than later.
They even don’t care about a relationship with their customers.
Thanx…Chris

Hi OBK and welcome to The Mattress underground :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear about your wife’s back and shoulder pain with your current mattress…sleeping on the couch may not only exacerbate her issues but create others in the long term, so getting a new suitable mattress would be top priority for her.

I am glad you held off doing any impulse purchase under pressure. In the beginning almost anything may seem better than the older set up. I’d approach the next purchase with 3 criteria in mind,
• durability and how long she will sleep well on this mattress
• suitability (support comes first and then comfort), and
• options you have in case things don’t go as well as you hoped for.
Keep in mind, any mattress you choose will have a unique comfort profile for to you both, based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s), and any underlying health conditions) and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). A good first step in choosing a mattress (in would be to read the
Mattress Shopping Tutorial to get an overview of what to look for, and the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know , and the Mattress Durability Guidelines to become familiar with common mattress construction and components. Buying something for which you cannot find the specifications you need to know would be a blind purchase even if in the store it feels good or feels attractive

While testing out mattresses in person is the best way to see how you both like the ‘feel’, there are a couple issues shopping at big mattress retailers, as you have found; The sales reps are commonly not very well informed on the products (and sometimes cannot be, due to all the different products these big stores offer, with constant turnover of their inventory or staff). Also, they commonly, as in the case of the Sealy Posturpedic Plus Hybrid , are not transparent with the specifications or materials used. Sealy tends to use proprietary names for their foams such as ‘SealyChill’ and ComfortSense Memory Foam’ which do not disclose the density of the foams. Even though your wife seems to need a thicker comfort layer to address her shoulder pains, she also needs proper support for her lower back pains (assuming that these pains are not health related) This mattress has 5" of memory foam on top of a pocket coil unit. If you are set to buy it I would make sure any foam in this (or another potential mattress) has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support (for consumers with higher BMIs, and stomach sleeping more support may be warranted). You do not provide you or your wife’s stats to enter into more detail even though your wife found a mattress she tried and she likes, keep in mind any lower density or lower quality memory foam can ‘break down’ causing uneven wear on the mattress which can cause ‘peaks and valleys’ which can cause pain, soreness and even alignment issues once the foam starts breaking down within a few months to a couple of years down the road) With your wife’s existing pains, it’s even more important to know what the actual density of any memory foam (or polyfoam) is – if you cannot find it, I would be wary about that mattress. And I would personally avoid ANY mattress that does not have a good return/exchange policy…it can take days or weeks to ‘break in’ a new mattress and if it turns out to not be what you expected, you don’t want to be left with another uncomfortable mattress!

While we do not make recommendations, since a mattress is such a personal choice, and you do not say where you are located, you can take a look at the Trusted Members of the site, many of who offer hybrid mattresses and are very knowledgeable and transparent about their mattress construction and have generous return and exchange policies. Some members, like GhostBed , My Green Mattress , and Nest Bedding are also carried by major retailers like Target, Macy’s, Walmart and MattressFirm so you can go and try them out.

If you are considering purchasing online, Trusted Members such as The Beloit Mattress Company , Mattress To Go , and Custom Sleep Technology all carry memory/polyfoam hybrid mattresses, and if you provide them information on you and your wife’s Stats and PPP and mattress history, they will be able to guide you to find a mattress you will find both comfortable and long lasting. I would at least suggest looking into these alternatives before considering the Sealy Hybrid.

~ Basilio

The Helix Midnight balances responsiveness with gentle cradling on your shoulders and hips, which are often pain points for sleepers on the lighter weight end of the spectrum. It’s a cool mattress to sleep on, and the strong motion isolation insulates you from a co-sleeper’s movements.