Looking for a recommendation

Hello,
My name is Margaret. You we’re able to help my sister in finding a local business that made her mattress. She is very happy with it and I was recently able to try it out while visiting her. She went with a latex.
There is a local business here that makes their own mattresses. Yankee Mattress Factory, 314 Springfield St, Agawam, MA. (413-786-0999) My husband and I have spent thousands on mattresses in the last four years (three different mattresses!) and have ended up with bad experiences both with the mattresses and businesses. I’m wondering if you could recommend the above company in helping us find the right mattress for us?
My husband is 6’ and thin. I am 5’7" and thin. We prefer a firm mattress and at 35 yrs of age we’re finding we like a little softness on the top. I’ve tried a latex pillow before and do not care for the “bouncy” or “floating” feeling. So, that is a concern of mine in going with a latex mattress. My husband uses a latex pillow and likes it. After trying my sisters’ bed, I can say I “think” I like a latex mattress. I can’t say that I got the best rest that week as my three little children were sleeping in the same room with me and I was up throughout the night with them, as being in a “new place” disrupts their sleep. Her mattress was firm and the insert on the top they used was firm. It felt a little too firm. I’m thinking a firm latex mattress with a soft top may work?
I would consider memory foam but they seem pretty expensive and I’m not sure how they hold up. We’ve currently spent $800-$2,000 on mattress/box spring sets. We’re willing to pay for a GOOD mattress. We are very scared to pick out (try!) and pay for another mattress!
I see you have a lot of information on your web site and I would love to read it. I have a hard time getting much reading in with my three little ones. My sister’s recommendation of you is a blessing! I also have another sister in OH that I believe it also currently or planning on contacting you. I have 5 sisters, lol.
I really appreciate any feedback you can offer!
Thank you, Margaret

Mdpatrick25,

I have talked with Nick at Yankee Mattress and he is knowledgeable and experienced and I think highly of him and the quality/value of the mattresses they make. You can see some comments about them here and he would certainly be well worth a visit. (NOTE ADDED: They are also now a member of this site)

[quote]I’m thinking a firm latex mattress with a soft top may work?
I would consider memory foam but they seem pretty expensive and I’m not sure how they hold up.[/quote]

Each person can have their own preferences as far as the type of material they prefer to sleep on. Latex is also a more costly material than memory foam. Regardless of the material that your testing indicates that you prefer … it’s important to make sure that it’s a good quality version or grade of that material because all materials have lower quality and less durable versions and higher quality and more durable versions.

I would at least read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to help you make the best possible choice.

You and your sisters seem to be scattered all over the country but they are certainly welcome here when they decide it’s time to buy a mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback if you decide to visit Nick at Yankee Mattress.

Phoenix