Looking for adjustable bed for ailing father with dialysis

Yes, lots of things to compare. I think I’ve narrowed it down to these two choices:

SleepEZ’s 09000 - uses 100% Talalay and is 3in-3in-2in customizable (easier to exchange for right comfort). Uses organic cotton/wool and with 2 pillows and foundation and discount is about $1937.

SleepWorld’s Majestic - uses 8in 100% Dunlop (website does not break down the layers). Uses organic cotton/wool and with 2 pillows and foundation and tax is about $1980.

Benefit of Sleepworld is that it’s a local store, however, since SleepEz has layers, it will make it easier to exchange if necessary. Also, warranties are comparable (20 years). I decided to go for an 8 inch over 6 inch because my current mattress is 12 inches and I didn’t want to lose so much height.

Another good value purchase is the SleepEZ 8" special for about $1618. You save about $300 and all you give up is the fact that it’s made up of two layers of dunlop and one layer of talalay (versus the 09000 using all Talalay). The other thing you give up is the organic cotton/wool. I figure for a mattress that can last 20 years and the amount I’m spending, splurging a few hundred won’t make that much of a difference. Especially since Talalay will hold to be more consistent over those 20 years.

I’ll try out the Majestic this weekend and make a decision soon. If I fall in love with it, I may buy it…if it’s just so-so, I’ll take a risk on the Internet purchase since it uses Talalay versus Dunlop.

Any thoughts?

Hi FavoriteHOMEboy,

You are at the point where all your choices are good ones and it would be difficult to make a “mistake” in terms of value. Make sure though if you are making comparisons that you are comparing apples to apples and not mattress plus foundation to mattress only.

I would also assess the importance and value to you of “knowing” that a mattress fits you in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) from local testing vs the uncertainty and risk of an online purchase and the possibility of needing layer exchanges to “get it right”. I personally would tend to place a premium on local testing although low cost layer exchanges can certainly lower the risk of an online purchase.

From what you’ve mentioned … it seems that your “local” purchase may not even have a “premium” attached to it at all. I would put blended Talalay and 100% natural Dunlop in a similar “value” range.

Phoenix

Between the 3 brands primarily mentioned I’ve not read much regarding the hardware, motor, lifters. Are any of them better in that regard than the others, i.e. quiet, more durable, faster lift / better massage?

Thanks,
Patrick

Hi wukong543,

I switched your post to the adjustable bed thread which is a more relevant topic and I would start with post #2 here to help you make some meaningful comparisons between adjustable beds.

In terms of the strength of the motor I would probably go by their rated weight capacity.

It’s been a few years since I made some careful comparisons when I purchased my adjustable bed but at the time I tested them the Reverie had the strongest massage IMO but I would think that with all the new models that have come out since then that this may no longer be the case and I would do some testing between different models to decide which of the newer models have the “best” massage (although I would still consider them to be more of a “vibrator” than a “massage”).

I also didn’t think that any of them had a noisy or intrusive motor and all of them were relatively quiet but in general terms DC motors will be a little quieter than AC motors but AC motors will tend to be a little stronger. In most cases you wouldn’t be using the motor when you are asleep anyway.

I also don’'t remember noticing any significant difference in the speed of the lift and none of them were particularly “fast”.

Perhaps some of the other members here will have more recent experiences than I do and can share their thoughts about some of your questions as well.

Phoenix

I went ahead and ordered the Ergomotion 400 Queen with DC motor & 500lb lift for $1189. I called the ergomotion.us in California and they were helpful and says they have a 20 year warranty on everything including the motors. They also have a AC motor version called the 400ds which has a 800lb lift and will lower and raise the bed faster. They said it wasn’t any noisier than the DC version. The Ergomotion 400 comes with 9" legs putting the top of the frame 17" off the ground. They also have 6" legs. I like the look of the Ergo 400 bed frame and remote (larger & fewer buttons, though doesn’t allow for user presets) over the S-cape model.

The online seller I purchased through was patient and answered lots of questions as did the rep. at Ergomotion. Before I ordered the ergomotion 400 I called atlanticbeds.com on a Leggett S-cape which had an DC model listed at $1035 with a 450lb lift (They also had an AC S-cape option for $1135 with a 600lb lift) but the guy was short & impatient so I didn’t have a good feeling about that. If he was that way presale I’d hate to think how he’d be trying to get warranty work.

The Reverie Deluxe had some negative reviews about the motor on Amazon and was more expensive so didn’t seriously consider that one.

Btw - Ergomotion is phasing out the 400 so it won’t be available much longer.

Thanks for the help here!

Hi wukong543,

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it … and congratulations on your new adjustable bed :slight_smile:

Phoenix